Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
People really should avoid making hasty conclusions in regards to what others say, since they could be misinterpreting others' statements (such as right above here).
You have to understand the wwii threads are regularly infested with neo-Nazi and aryan supremeist so you have to be very clear where you are coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
Truth is, by the time America got into the war, Germany was out of gas, literally and figuratively.

France,England, Russia and all in between had been fighting with Germany for years andthe tipping point was when America had come in, but truthfully, and fresh well equipped force from any country could have turned the tides.

Hitler’s mistake, unnecessarily creating two fronts when the non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union would have allowed him to defeat England and fortify the West Front.

I also believe a third less talked about front was a contributing factor, there was no sane reason to enter Africa. Again he should have fortified the Southern European coastline. Focused on England then look East to Mother Russia.

If a true strategist had been at the healm from start to finish instead of a delusional madmen, I think the current map would be a bit different then it is today.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
Why would he need to fortify the Southern European coastline? He should have strengthened Northern Europe instead as Britain was his only real threat (on the Western Front). I agree dont know why he entered Africa or how many troops he had there.. Agreed as to earlier poster if his resources were not tied up in Russia, D-Day would not have been successful as it wasy and war could have lasted much longers.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM

190 posts, read 190,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I have always thought he concerned Americans lazy and undisciplined.
he had a rude awakening at omaha beach

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM

190 posts, read 190,318 times
Default normandy invasion

hitler was about to unleash catastrofic warfare this is why nomandy was planned

Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Default Did Hitler underestimate the US?

Just as he did with the Brits and Russians. He was no great military mind.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You have to understand the wwii threads are regularly infested with neo-Nazi and aryan supremeist so you have to be very clear where you are coming from.
Thanks for clarifying. Honestly, I would think that being a neo-Nazi would get you banned from here (Where are the rules for this forum exactly? Where exactly can I see all of them?). However, I do think that individuals should be given an opportunity to defend and to clarify themselves here, since otherwise someone here could get in extremely huge trouble due to someone misunderstanding what he or she meant to say here.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Honestly, I would think that being a neo-Nazi would get you banned from here (Where are the rules for this forum exactly? Where exactly can I see all of them?). However, I do think that individuals should be given an opportunity to defend and to clarify themselves here, since otherwise someone here could get in extremely huge trouble due to someone misunderstanding what he or she meant to say here.
Well they don't just come out and state their position so it often takes a few posts over the course of several threads for the pattern to emerge but it always comes out in the end. They eventually takes a while but they eventually get banned.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I wonder if Hitler felt secure behind his continental defenses and did not mind the USA being in the war. The only threat he faced from the west was a major amphinious operations involving the landing of several armies to form a front. No chance of that happening in the probable future as of early December 1941. The failure of major amphibious operations in the earlier war was an example. The reverse scenario analysis of his Sealion might also have provided comfort that a similar reverse direction attempt by the Allies might fail.

I also wonder if Germans of the era understood there was no Allied assault on either side of the Danish peninsula in the First World War because the British planning staff indicated the risks where too great when dealing with a strong adversary who can move reinforcements and supplies into the area swifter than they could be landed by sea.

Also, U.S. ground forces being so weak, seventh in army strength behind Portugal as we are constantly reminded in books, that it would take years to raise a credible force. It took the British over one year to field Kitchener's Army in WW1 for their first attack and another year to learn how to properly fight. Perhaps the Soviets would be finished by then,(this is December 7 1941 before the Soviet Moscow counterattack,Dec 5th, made worrisome gains) and who knows how far the Japanese and their large navy would do to a USN divided into two theatres.

Hitler gambled in many,(most?), of his political and military decisions. He was on a winning streak.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-06-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I wonder if Hitler felt secure behind his continental defenses and did not mind the USA being in the war.
I wonder sometimes why I even bother to provide links.

From an earlier post:

Lost Prison Interview with Hermann Goring: The Reichsmarschall's Revelations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History