Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:54 PM

14,330 posts, read 14,129,578 times

Advertisements

This is directed to those who believe the JFK Assassination had to be the work of a conspiracy. My conclusion is that Oswald acted alone and made a relatively impulsive decision to shoot the President. Consider the following:

1. While Kennedy and top democrats had planned the trip to Texas for months before no specific details were included in the plans other than the cities they would visit.

2. Oswald was an itinerant drifter who in 1963 had already held several jobs. When he lost a job in New Orleans, a family friend, Ruth Paine tried to help him find another one. She heard from acquaintances that work might be available at the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas. (TSBD) She called the TSBD and learned they were trying to fill a position. Ruth Paine is still currently alive and has spoken a number of times about these events.

3. Oswald, based on this information, went to the TSBD and applied for work. He was hired on October 16, 1963.

4. The motorcade route through Dallas was not planned until November 8, 1963. The route past Dealey Plaza was chosen because of it was a direct route between Love Field (where the President's plane landed) and the Dallas Trade Mart where a luncheon had been organized for the President.

5. Details of the route of the motorcade were published in local newspapers about a week before JFK came to Dallas. Oswald, despite being a loner and a sociopath, was an avid reader and could easily have found these details.

This timeline of events shows just how difficult the concept of a "conspiracy" is in the case. Oswald got the job at the TSBD because of friends and happenstance. No person in a high place, intervened to get it for him. He couldn't have known about the motorcade or its route at that time, because the route wasn't planned until three weeks later on November 8th.

All this will still fail to convince diehard conspiracy believers, but the facts just don't support a conspiracy.

AARC Public Digital Library - Warren Report, pg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM

617 posts, read 933,827 times
I think it's hard for people to believe one little man can do that much damage.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,683,185 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

To play the devil's advocate, nothing in the OP disproves any conspiracy theories, other than those theories which state that LHO had nothing to do with the assassination. LHO could have been seen as the perfect tool, based upon his history, mental state, and place of employment. There may have been backup in place to insure the success of the plan.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-10-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 PM

25,364 posts, read 17,020,027 times
Orphaned.

To play the devil's advocate, nothing in the OP disproves any conspiracy theories, other than those theories which state that LHO had nothing to do with the assassination. LHO could have been seen as the perfect tool, based upon his history, mental state, and place of employment. There may have been backup in place to insure the success of the plan.[/quote]
Well, that's the thing. You can't disprove a conspiracy theory because it is a theory.

For a theory to be proven, the author would have to explain every event in question as well as every event never questioned. The book "Case Closed" explains every event, period.
If you actually read the Warren Commission Report (it's an easy read) you will find the answer to every question.

None of the conspiracy theorists have ever proven their theory. Like, in your post, there is always "there may have been...there could have been....someone..."
So conspiracy theories live on and even if they are dis-proven, they get replaced by new theories. Can't kill a myth with a fact.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-10-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 02:09 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I think it's hard for people to believe one little man can do that much damage.
You mean it's hard for people to ACCEPT.
It's actually incredibly easy to believe that one person can put a bullet into someones head from 200 feet with a scoped rifle.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:14 PM

25,364 posts, read 17,020,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You mean it's hard for people to ACCEPT.
It's actually incredibly easy to believe that one person can put a bullet into someones head from 200 feet with a scoped rifle.
Yeah. I stood at the sixth floor window and didn't see any problem with the shot. As the car was moving there was hardly any change in azimuth. And range, for that shot, doesn't matter. In other words, the target was almost stationary.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 PM

15,705 posts, read 9,426,929 times
I have the most trouble believing Oswald could have wiped the rifle down entirely clean, stashed it away as well as he allegedly did, run down the stairs and been in the second floor break room drinking a Coke and not showing signs of being out of breath something like 90 seconds after the shooting with Officer Baker and Roy Truly ran into him.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Well, that's the thing. You can't disprove a conspiracy theory because it is a theory.

For a theory to be proven, the author would have to explain every event in question as well as every event never questioned. The book "Case Closed" explains every event, period.
If you actually read the Warren Commission Report (it's an easy read) you will find the answer to every question.

None of the conspiracy theorists have ever proven their theory. Like, in your post, there is always "there may have been...there could have been....someone..."
So conspiracy theories live on and even if they are dis-proven, they get replaced by new theories. Can't kill a myth with a fact.
I've often quoted from the WCR, but the errors and omissions are the reasons that so many Americans disagree with its conclusions. From an article by Michael T. Griffith, linked below:

The House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) reinvestigated the Kennedy shooting from 1977-1979. One of the select committee's conclusions was that the Warren Commission failed to adequately investigate the possibility of conspiracy. Said the committee,
The Warren Commission failed to investigate adequately the possibility of a conspiracy to assassinate the President. This deficiency was attributable in part to the failure of the commission to receive all the relevant information that was in the possession of other agencies and departments of the Government. (HSCA Report, p. 256)

THE WARREN COMMISSION'S FAILED INVESTIGATION

When (and if) the CIA releases the last 1171 documents in 2017, as required by the JFK Act, the public may finally have enough information to eliminate many, if not most, of the doubts that exist today.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,783,334 times
Watched Smoking Gun piece on Reelz over several evenings have to ask if the hole at the back of JFK's skull is indeed lesser in width than the Mannlicher-Carcano 6.5mm?

As for the frangible projectile bullet aspect. I recall reading how a Lee-Enfield fired .303 FMJ absolutely exploded one fellow's head one struck at short range at a MP road stop when the driver of a jeep failed to stop.(driver was inebriated) I suppose even FMJ can produce the type of skull damage shown on the Zapbruder film.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-10-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Watched Smoking Gun piece or Reelz over several evenings have to ask if the hole at the back of JFK's skull is indeed lesser in with than the Mannlicher-Carcano 6.5mm?

As for the frangible bullet projectile aspect. I recall reading how a Lee-Enfield fired .303 FMJ abolutely exploded one fellow's head one struke at short range at a MP road stop when the driver of a jeep failed to stop.(driver was inebriated) I suppose evening FMJ can produce the type of skull damage shown on the Zapbruder film.
There are thousands of pieces of evidence and minutiae, testimony not included in the Commission report, and witness testimony not taken. There are scientists, doctors, and witnesses that have conflicting opinions, and the CIA has witheld information. I can't get my head around all of it, so I narrowed my focus to two points.

When information about LHO came out, I learned that he had used the same rifle to fire on the same course in the same year that I had, and my first thoughts were, he's a crappy shooter using a crappy weapon. Later, I learned that two men were seen sneaking around Gen. Walker's home and peeking in the windows in the week prior to the assassination attempt. After the shot was fired at Walker, two men were seen leaving the scene in cars. Oswald took a bus after firing the shot, so who were the other guys? Accomplices, overseers, ACLU lawyers? I don't know.

ETA: JFK was killed seven months after the attempt on Gen. Walker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History