Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:13 PM

200 posts, read 508,814 times

Advertisements

For sheer scope and number of operations that he bore responsibility, General Georgy Zhukov immediately comes to mind. He was awarded so many honors that Stalin became jealous of his rising popularity, and caused Zhukov to seek a healthier low profile at the end of the war. Despite operating in the shadow of Zhukov, General Vasily Chuikov certainly earns a place in the pantheon of great WWII generals for his incredible defense of Stalingrad.

On the German side, General Erich von Manstein, who had spirited disagreements with Hitler, is often named as Germany's ablest general and perhaps the most brilliant of the war. An honorable mention should be given General Heinz Guderian, who was hobbled by Hitler's meddling and erratic leadership and was finally sidelined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
George Patton. If he had his way, instead of being murdered,
there wouldn't have been a Soviet Union or a Cold War.
Let me fix that for you...

George Patton. If he had his way, instead of dieing in a traffic accident, he may have provoked a war with the Soviet Union that would have seen the Soviets steamroll over all of Western Europe and made what became the Cold War decidedly hot.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Top. Commanders who preferably led army groups or armies.
My picks...

For the UK: Montgomery

For the US: Patton

For the Soviets: Ivan Konev, Aleksandr Vasilevsky and Nikolai Vatutin

For the Germans: Guderian, Model, Manstein and Rundstedt

The scale of the Eastern Front made for several great commanders that you could pick. I bolded my "one pick" among the group if I had to choose. For Germany, I almost added Sepp Dietrich, but he was a much better division commander then he was an army commander. However, he does earn bonus points for making great general staff selections to compliment his weaknesses.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
George Patton. If he had his way, instead of dieing in a traffic accident, he may have provoked a war with the Soviet Union that would have seen the Soviets steamroll over all of Western Europe and made what became the Cold War decidedly hot.
hmmm..just wondering if say the Army College ever war-gameed that scenario? Because it would be intriguing to see all the problems Patton could have caused as well as maybe solved for the future. I'd say Patton certainly knew what he was good at and left the diplomats to the diplomatic corps. No way with his personality that he could do that or would even want to do that kind of job. He was made for war and I'd say he definitely was itching to fight the Soviets. Of course, he didn't trust them at all. Historically we missed a Patton-Soviet bust-up and I'm sure he would have loved nothing more than to meet his Soviet counterparts on the field of battle. And heck no doubt in his plans he'd even have a push on to Moscow....the hell with politics. It would be maneuver, maneuver, go go go. But I figure Eisenhower probably teared his hair out with the General when it came to the Soviets.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
George Patton. If he had his way, instead of being murdered,
there wouldn't have been a Soviet Union or a Cold War.
It doesn't appear that Patton was murdered.

In response to the OP's question: Erich von Manstein and/or Heinz Guderian might veryw ell be at or near the top due to their success in defeating and capturing France in 1940.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Quote:
What do you guys think?
Curtis LeMay. Burned Japan.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting." CL

Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier.
BrainyQuote

Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
George Patton and Erwin Rommel.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Default Best military Commander of World War 2 in Europe

Quote:
What do you guys think?
Based on results, it would have to be Eisenhower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History