Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM

136 posts, read 116,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I never implied blacks. It is usually white liberals who drive wedges into the populace to fan the imaginary flames. Racism exists on all levels but only the 19th century American variety is mentioned. How about the 21st century version?
You want treated fairly? You will soon have your wish and there ain't nothin' fair about it.
Liberals and conservatives are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
Liberals and conservatives are the same.
Indirectly this is the most prejudiced statement in the whole thread.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:24 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
There is no one today that in real life terms have any connection to slavery. However, local and national politicians and some political parties and local and national preachers have discovered that they can gain attention and influence by teaching hate and by teaching slavery. This is actually very hurtful to our young people and serves no positive purpose. So this is not a haunting so much as a modern day smear and slander agenda.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
We had 246 years of slavery, and we've had 148 years without it. The legalized second-class citizenship of African Americans persisted another 100 years after the end of slavery. The effects of disconnecting families from their ancestors, homeland, and language, denying education, property ownership, and a place in government, and institutionalized generational poverty will take much longer to go away, even if we are making a concerted effort to rid our country of them. Then there is racism, which is very real and present. It affects the daily decisions of many Americans.
Get off your soap box, my ancestors were slaves in Rome and my family displaced during Hitler's era in WW2, but I dont use those scenarios as a crutch for socioeconomic failure in 2013.

Last edited by Red3311; 11-25-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 01:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
There is no one today that in real life terms have any connection to slavery. However, local and national politicians and some political parties and local and national preachers have discovered that they can gain attention and influence by teaching hate and by teaching slavery. This is actually very hurtful to our young people and serves no positive purpose. So this is not a haunting so much as a modern day smear and slander agenda.
Sure there are.

Grandfather owns the former plantation land where some of my ancestors were born. Many of the older members of my family can recount memories of people (men and women) being lynched. My parents were not allowed to walk into the front door of businesses (in the South) but had to enter through stockroom doors to shop. One of the four little girls killed in the church bombing in Birmingham, AL was a distant cousin. This is not ancient history just because it is not a part of YOUR history.

Are my relatives supposed to not discuss their experiences with my generation (and younger) simply because it makes YOU uncomfortable to know that atrocities were committed for the sake of skin color? So, if I understand the reasoning of many in this thread, ALL of American history pre-1900 is irrelevant because no one is still alive who actually experienced those events, right? We should destroy Ellis Island and build condos, yes?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
Really, so if I have 20 apples and 17 are red and 3 are green, raw numbers don't mean anything?
No they don't and your example isn't what we are discussing. My point goes a step further than simply stating total numbers. You say that there are 17 red apples and 3 green ones. I'm saying that both groups have 2 apples with worms. Both groups have the same number of worms, but 2 worms out of 3 apples is a whole lot different than 2 worms out of 17 apples. The ultimate goal should be getting rid of the worms, not simply counting them. That being the case, it is necessary to investigate why the green apples are more predisposed to worms.

Quote:
In reality, Asians simply have more intact families, due to their more intact homogeneous cultures.

Also, Asians don't have higher IQ's, but they most certainly do show more willingness to study and understand math and science at greater rates than other populations. Much of this is due to their culture, which rewards and encourages those who place a heavy emphasis on learning and developing in technical areas.

America however is mostly superficial. It rewards ignorance, greed and violence, therefore its overall populations are mostly ignorant, greedy and violent.
The research into IQ doesn't back you up (Race and intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It's worth pointing out that raw IQ isn't everything. The historical Asian value for homogeneity has resulted in excellence with rote learning and skills at the detriment (compared to the West) of creativity and entrepreneurship. I think it works out better for the world in the long run because Westerners are better at some things, whereas Asians have competitive advantages in other areas.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:04 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sure there are.

Grandfather owns the former plantation land where some of my ancestors were born. Many of the older members of my family can recount memories of people (men and women) being lynched. My parents were not allowed to walk into the front door of businesses (in the South) but had to enter through stockroom doors to shop. One of the four little girls killed in the church bombing in Birmingham, AL was a distant cousin. This is not ancient history just because it is not a part of YOUR history.
^ But using this as an EXCUSE for failure in a world where this does not exist anymore is an easy copout for someone who does not want to compete in a capitalist country where there are more than enough "affirmitive action" opportunities.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:07 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
We had 246 years of slavery, and we've had 148 years without it. The legalized second-class citizenship of African Americans persisted another 100 years after the end of slavery. The effects of disconnecting families from their ancestors, homeland, and language, denying education, property ownership, and a place in government, and institutionalized generational poverty will take much longer to go away, even if we are making a concerted effort to rid our country of them. Then there is racism, which is very real and present. It affects the daily decisions of many Americans.
You're making excuses. Other demographics flee communistic/third world countries. They also leave their families and cultures behind, to come to the United States and they assimilate just fine.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
^ But using this as an EXCUSE for failure in a world where this does not exist anymore is an easy copout for someone who does not want to compete in a capitalist country where there are more than enough "affirmitive action" opportunities.
Who said anything about "failure"? Why are YOU automatically equating knowledge of one's history to an "excuse for failure", "not wanting to compete" or "affirmative action"?

Until YOU acknowledge your own racial biases, you will NEVER, EVER get it.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Hitler wiped out 1/3 of the Jewish population, yet they flourish socioeconomically. Their valuables were confiscated, families destroyed, and culture obliterated; however, they own most of the wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History