Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:57 PM

37,602 posts, read 45,972,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I think we all agree that tobacco has addictive properties; I've worked in fairly stressful jobs where several other men admitted they could not have handled things without access to the calmative properties of nicotine.

Our understanding of the distinction between medication and substance dependency/abuse will continue to grow; but lumping tobacco with cocaine and heroin is a bit of a stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
I'll go further.....It's ludicrous, farcical and cockamamie.
Ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope it isn't. Not even close to that.

Tobacco is a natural state agricultural product.
As such it and similar such things should be legal by default*. They mostly are.
Marijuana used to be and will be again before long.

Heroin otoh... is a synthesized pharmaceutical product. Cocaine is as well.
These should be re-medicalized and put back under the control of doctors and pharmacists.
(btw... the poppy and coca they stem from are legal)
This is a stretch and no, coca and opium poppy's are not legal in the US. Grow a poppy plant in your back yard and see how long it is before the DEA knocks down your door. Cocaine literally comes straight from the plant. All they do is strip off the excess plant material. Workers in the highlands of Peru and Bolivia chew on coca plants as it helps relieve altitude sickness. Plus it gives you a boost. They also sell coca gum in these countries, which is also banned in the US. That said, I'm for legalization. I wouldn't touch either of these drugs, just like tobacco, but prohibition does far more harm than good.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
I'll go further.....It's ludicrous, farcical and cockamamie.
You, sir, have apparently not paid attention to our community organizer in chief who has made smoking and tobacco a pariah. When the re-education camps, have been built, you may expect a visit from our liberal thought police.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:23 PM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
The analogy is nothing short of silly.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:51 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The OP sounds like one of those rabid anti-smokers. Strange how he/she left off the worst drug of all...alcohol.

Thats probably because the OP may imbibe that drug occasionally
Quite the contrary, I'm a rabid smoker! But I only smoke the Native American tobacco and roll it myself with empty filter tubes.

It's been said too many times: quitting smoking is as hard to do as quitting heroin!

If I'm ranting, it's over hypocrisy! We go to South America to destroy their coca fields, and yet, if there had been an adverse reaction in Europe, at the time, to addictive tobacco, and they came over here and destroyed our tobacco fields, all hell would have broken loose!

During the 1600's/1700's, in Europe, there were scattered attempts to curb smoking, even the death penalty in extreme cases, but they all caved in, eventually, to the heady tax revenue to be gained from taxing tobacco. In one year, in France, under Napoleon, 100 million francs a year was coming into the Treasury from tobacco taxation, and smoking was even encouraged, to bring in more tax revenue.

So the governmental bodies around the world quickly found out how much money could be made off these addicts to help fund the government so why bite the hands that feed you, by banning tobacco!!!

With the eventual legalization of marijuana, it will be no different, a tax source for the government. CO is set to tax marijuana at 25%. And others will follow suit!

So let's stop pointing the fingers! At Afghanistan, with their poppy fields, or South America with their coca fields. Always remember, you point a finger at someone, you are pointing 4 fingers at yourself!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Before Japanese automakers moved in, Kentucky had the distinction of building their economy on Tobacco, Whiskey and Horse Racing, the big Sin Trifecta.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
the US and other colonial territories were built upon exploitation of resources. tabacco was no different than anything else.
And "exploitation of resources" is more-commonly referred to as civilization; the malcontents don't want to deal with it, and the rest of us can't live without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History