Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8q506sWKY

Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
If there was a bailout, it was mutual. The US certainly helped Britain to survive, but Britain also fought alone while we stood on the sidelines militarily impotent and unwilling to participate. British refusal to surrender to the Nazis at their most desperate hour gained the US invaluable time to build up our own military, and ultimately made our participation in the war much more effective once it came. Imagine trying to pull off D-Day if Britain had been occupied.

The end result of the war was that the US, for the price of about 400,000 deaths, ascended to world power supremacy while the Brits went into a decline and lost their empire.

Based on that, I think the British are justified in thinking that they gave as good as they got from us. And I'm American.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:10 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
GB is our ally. Period. We should NEVER ever forget that and pay our respects accordingly. At least that's the way I see it. You are either in it to win it or, you are a fair weather ally if not. And NO ONE can afford to be casual and convenient in that regard.
Here here. The initial argument is unseemly, as it also is to berate the French role in WWII.

The USA had 132 million people in 1940, while the UK had 48 million. The USA was not only larger but protected by ocean distances from the worst ramifications of the war.

Roughly 16 million soldiers from the USA participated in WWII. I doubt that there were 16 million men in all of the UK between the ages of 18 and 55.

Just by sheer numbers the USA had the wartime production, transportation, and manpower to make a massive difference in the war.

The USA and UK have a special relationship, and it should be respected.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
As an American , i find this thread pretty insulting.....to the British.

We always have the "Ugly Americans" making the silliest statements..
I agree.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:09 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Here here. The initial argument is unseemly, as it also is to berate the French role in WWII.

The USA had 132 million people in 1940, while the UK had 48 million. The USA was not only larger but protected by ocean distances from the worst ramifications of the war.

Roughly 16 million soldiers from the USA participated in WWII. I doubt that there were 16 million men in all of the UK between the ages of 18 and 55.

Just by sheer numbers the USA had the wartime production, transportation, and manpower to make a massive difference in the war.

The USA and UK have a special relationship, and it should be respected.
Agreed. And as much fun as we like to poke at the French, they took quite a bit of a beating in WWI AND WWII. No wonder Fosch was so pissed off. You would be too if Europe and the world at large turned YOUR country into a battlefield, rested for 20 some odd years, and then decided to come back and beat the bejesus out of anyone standing in France for the 2nd scrimmage.

Couple that with our penchant for bombing them to save them....kind of like Team America. To be sure, there were no other real options. We love bombers and we aren't usually afraid to use them except as of late...sigh....

There are places where one would be wise to tread carefully around France, the Argonnes, Belgium and other local war haunts. I can't imagine the amount of unexploded ordinance still lying only inches beneath the surface.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
It's rather difficult to "bail out" the power that fielded the majority of western allied combat forces in ALL theaters until the end of 1943...

Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Agreed. And as much fun as we like to poke at the French, they took quite a bit of a beating in WWI AND WWII. No wonder Fosch was so pissed off. You would be too if Europe and the world at large turned YOUR country into a battlefield, rested for 20 some odd years, and then decided to come back and beat the bejesus out of anyone standing in France for the 2nd scrimmage.

Couple that with our penchant for bombing them to save them....kind of like Team America. To be sure, there were no other real options. We love bombers and we aren't usually afraid to use them except as of late...sigh....

There are places where one would be wise to tread carefully around France, the Argonnes, Belgium and other local war haunts. I can't imagine the amount of unexploded ordinance still lying only inches beneath the surface.

Its amazing how long that ordinance retains its danger. In Virginia a few years ago a piece of civil war ordinance exploded on someone, and I believe it killed the man. One hundred fifty years later the civil war is still adding to its death toll, so yes France has got to be littered with the stuff. WW2 ordinance being a lot more sophisticated may remain potent much longer than US civil war ordinance so it could be in the ground over there for centuries.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 PM

471 posts, read 977,430 times
If England had tried to make a deal when Hess flew in, maybe a peace could have been negotiated prior to the attack on England and we probably would have not entered the way we did...Who knows and what if..... We will have to wait until 2016 when the rest of the Hess files become unclassified, if they haven't been 'purged" already...

Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Its amazing how long that ordinance retains its danger. In Virginia a few years ago a piece of civil war ordinance exploded on someone, and I believe it killed the man. One hundred fifty years later the civil war is still adding to its death toll, so yes France has got to be littered with the stuff. WW2 ordinance being a lot more sophisticated may remain potent much longer than US civil war ordinance so it could be in the ground over there for centuries.

The correct spelling is ordnance when dealing with munitions.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Couple that with the millions of landmines, encased in plastic, now laying dormant beneath the soils of the war torn countries. African countries are usually riddled with them, the middle east, etc...etc....

Plastic doesn't deteriorate very fast. It's basically waterproof. Try walking around with that on your mind. Scary. Put them in the very arid middle east and you have a real problem. Question is, how do we get rid of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History