Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 12:32 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Anyone else ever notice that the same people who insist on going back 230+ years to lord Yorktown over the British are generally of the same crowd that sneers incessantly about having to 'bail out' the French from time to time? One can only presume that the irony of those two positions put together is utterly lost on them.

As an American, you know what I think of when I ponder British attitudes about America?
For all the smug jackassery here and there, most people on both sides are decent folk.
I stop by only because I couldn't understand why this thread is still so active, I still don't know but your post made me think of this; since WWII Britain for better or worse have supporting pretty much every American misadventure across the globe and paid a heavy price in blood, and treasure not to mention ending the political careers of the likes of Tony Blair. So to me any debt owed has long been repaid.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 PM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I stop by only because I couldn't understand why this thread is still so active, I still don't know but your post made me think of this; since WWII Britain for better or worse have supporting pretty much every American misadventure across the globe and paid a heavy price in blood, and treasure not to mention ending the political careers of the likes of Tony Blair. So to me any debt owed has long been repaid.
Proportionately the U.S. contributed significantly to British survival. Without the U.S. militarily helping them in WW II and financially thereafter Britain as we know it wouldn't be there.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:09 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Proportionately the U.S. contributed significantly to British survival. Without the U.S. militarily helping them in WW II and financially thereafter Britain as we know it wouldn't be there.
I never made an argument to the contrary.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I never made an argument to the contrary.
Implicitly you did. The argument you made was that any "debt" of Britain has been repaid. Hardly. We forgave actual debts, and we ensured your survival.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Implicitly you did. The argument you made was that any "debt" of Britain has been repaid. Hardly. We forgave actual debts, and we ensured your survival.
You did not, that was the RAF, the Spitfire and the 'few':-

'Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few'
Winston Churchill

Old 11-01-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You did not, that was the RAF, the Spitfire and the 'few':-
The Royal Navy also played an important role. But do you really think you could have kept that up indefinitely against a German onslaught, with no real ability to counterattack?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:22 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
The Royal Navy also played an important role. But do you really think you could have kept that up indefinitely against a German onslaught, with no real ability to counterattack?
The victory in the Battle of Britain ensured that Germany would NEVER be able to invade the UK, of course the Dday landings wouldn't have succeeded without the US, but then again they wouldn't have succeeded without the UK or Russia either.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The victory in the Battle of Britain ensured that Germany would NEVER be able to invade the UK, of course the Dday landings wouldn't have succeeded without the US, but then again they wouldn't have succeeded without the UK or Russia either.
The results of the Battle of Britain were glorious. But do you really think the Germans would have stopped? Besieging an island nation that was at the time nearly broke would have been like a knife going through butter.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:42 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,593,689 times
Quote:
rubbish, the last payment was made by Gordon Brown, Labour prime minister in 2006.
the US did not ensure our survival, we did that ourselves in 1940 before the US even got involved.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 AM

806 posts, read 876,290 times
If you are a Brit and think that the Spitfire saved the day , you don't know your own history . The Hurricane outnumbered the Spitfire by about two to one in that battle . Also , the RAF recognizes 595 non British pilots for their part in the battle .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.