Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
WWII Japanese mini sub stranded on Oahu Hawaii

some subs even reached California and tried to bomb an oil refinery
Yeah, we know the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. That's old news. And we knew at the time that midget subs were involved (that one in the video is on display at the Pearl Harbor museum).

Here is the story of the submarine attack that reached mainland waters:

Japanese Submarines Prowl the U.S. Pacific Coastline in 1941

What you don't have is any actual evidence that there was any contact between Imperial Japanese forces and any onshore Japanese-Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:10 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
I have been told by some old vets that they actually found caches of Imperial Japanese Army uniforms here in the US, so it appears they did have some support among the US population that had infiltrated and posed as immigrants or citizens, and had some inside help in the preparation of possible guerilla forces or sleeper cells ready to sabatoge or damage the US war effort
"Some old vets." Are they saying that they, personally found "caches" of uniforms...or that they heard about some other unknown "they" who supposedly found them? That's not the kind of think some quick research should not be able to turn up.

Where's your link?

Quote:
Japanese midget subs off the coast of California that never made it
So if they never made it, where are they? The Japanese had prepared a conventional sub attack on December 8, so they already knew a mini-sub would not make it. Ergo, they're unlikely to have tried.

Quote:
even if some Japanese Americans did help to aid the enemy, and got away with it you will never hear about it, maybe they just never got caught? just because it wasnt reported in the news doesnt mean it didnt happen
You never heard about the space aliens who participated in the attack, either, and you can't prove there weren't any.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:31 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
I have been told by some old vets that they actually found caches of Imperial Japanese Army uniforms here in the US, so it appears they did have some support among the US population that had infiltrated and posed as immigrants or citizens, and had some inside help in the preparation of possible guerilla forces or sleeper cells ready to sabatoge or damage the US war effort
I've googled this and cannot find anything. Well, as long as we have something as vague as "I have been told", then I guess the unlawful interment of 150,000 American citizens really was a good thing.

Quote:
even if some Japanese Americans did help to aid the enemy, and got away with it you will never hear about it, maybe they just never got caught? just because it wasnt reported in the news doesnt mean it didnt happen
Ah, brilliant - guilt (of all Japanese-Americans) by association with other Japanese-Americans who we cannot prove being innocent...

Quote:
WWII Japanese mini sub stranded on Oahu Hawaii

some subs even reached California and tried to bomb an oil refinery
What does a minor and irrelevant part of the Pearl Harbor attack plan, carried out by the Imperial Navy, have to do with Japanese-Americans? Absolutely nothing.

Yes, a submarine shelled a refinery in Santa Barbara. They hit nothing of importance. Again, what does this have to do with interment? There's not much an agent could have done to make the attack more successful, and in any case the attack took place before the west coast Exclusion Area was announced.

So, to sum up, blatantly violating the Constitutional rights of over 100,000 Ameican citizens was a good thing because:
*It kept Japanese-Americans safe
*There were midget subs involved in the Pearl Harbor attack
*You 'heard' about some old IJA uniforms
*A submarine shelled an oil refinery

I suspect you don't really think interment was justified, but you like it nonetheless, and so you're fishing - rather feebly, to put it more charitably than it warrants - for something, anything, to justify it.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:37 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I am 50% Japanese, 25% white (German/Irish), 25% Hawaiian. My brother served in the United States Marine Corps from 95-01. I have been exposed to Marine corps culture ever since I was 11 years old. Marine Corps is a very important part of my life.

Do I believe Japanese American internment camp was actually a good thing? Nope.

Obviously, America has learned its lesson. That is why we don't see any Muslims been sent to any kind of "camp" after 911.

History will not repeat itself (at least I hope not). Do I believe America owes Japanese anything? Nope.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Any of you been to a Japanese Internment camp? I have. I felt great shame. I personally feel we have taken a lot of work at brushing this history with a huge whitewash. There should be memorial in DC, same as the holocaust memorial. My opinion is the token monument in DC is not enough.
Mobile Site Preview
Memorial to Japanese-American Patriotism in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
While it may not have been the nicest thing to do, at the time it was deemed necessary for national security. For us to second guess the correctness of doing that now 70 years later is pointless.

Let's face it, the Japanese pulled a cowardly, dishonorable act by bombing Pearl Harbor and starting our involvement in that war. We were not at war with them, yet they underhandedly sailed a bunch of ships with planes into our territory and killed a lot of innocent men, women, and children. We were completely blindsided. Japan is lucky we forgave them at the end of the war, other countries would not have been so kind and Japan would now be a part of those countries, not independent like they are today.

Talk to anyone who was alive at that time and a lot of them have never forgiven the Japanese for that unprovoked attack. If the USA did something like that we would be condemned by every country in the world. The Japanese deserved everything they got and more IMO.

Don

Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

So why German-Americans put into camps? Pro-Germany activity among German Americans was far greater than any pro-Japan activity among Japanese-Americans.
Could you pick a German out of a lineup?

Could you pick a Japanese out of a lineup?

I think you have your answer there.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
While it may not have been the nicest thing to do, at the time it was deemed necessary for national security. For us to second guess the correctness of doing that now 70 years later is pointless.

Let's face it, the Japanese pulled a cowardly, dishonorable act by bombing Pearl Harbor and starting our involvement in that war. We were not at war with them, yet they underhandedly sailed a bunch of ships with planes into our territory and killed a lot of innocent men, women, and children. We were completely blindsided. Japan is lucky we forgave them at the end of the war, other countries would not have been so kind and Japan would now be a part of those countries, not independent like they are today.

Talk to anyone who was alive at that time and a lot of them have never forgiven the Japanese for that unprovoked attack. If the USA did something like that we would be condemned by every country in the world. The Japanese deserved everything they got and more IMO.

Don
This.

Would anyone's answer change IF a Japanese American or resident alien had betrayed the US, more specifically had betrayed our atomic secrets to the Japanese (shared with the Germans)?

And before you answer this, you might want to see a checklist of spies who gave atomic secrets to the Soviet Union and what their ancestry re countries of origin were.

And how might the world have been affected by such outcome, then . .and now.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Some old vets." Are they saying that they, personally found "caches" of uniforms...or that they heard about some other unknown "they" who supposedly found them? That's not the kind of think some quick research should not be able to turn up.

Where's your link?

You never heard about the space aliens who participated in the attack, either, and you can't prove there weren't any.
It's easy to talk what we should have done or what you would do if you were at war, especially since it's already happened and you know the outcome, "We should have done this or this is what I would have done, etc, etc is easy to say when you know the outcome 70 years later, it's not so easy if it was 1940 all over again

just because you cant find any info on GOOGLE doesnt mean it didnt happen, I talked to the people that were there , the Government also tries to keep things a secret to prevent panic, and everybody knows the Gov doesnt tell the public everything , especially for National security, there is a lot of stuff that went on during WWII that you will never know about and wont find on Google.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
It's easy to talk what we should have done or what you would do if you were at war, especially since it's already happened and you know the outcome, "We should have done this or this is what I would have done, etc, etc is easy to say when you know the outcome 70 years later, it's not so easy if it was 1940 all over again

just because you cant find any info on GOOGLE doesnt mean it didnt happen, I talked to the people that were there , the Government also tries to keep things a secret to prevent panic, and everybody knows the Gov doesnt tell the public everything , especially for National security, there is a lot of stuff that went on during WWII that you will never know about and wont find on Google.
Well, Almost two-thirds of the interns were Nisei, or Japanese Americans born in the United States. It made no difference that many had never even been to Japan. Even Japanese-American veterans of World War I were forced to leave their homes.

Is it fair?

Like I posted earlier, I am 50% Japanese. 25% German/Irish 25% Hawaiian. I am 28 years old. My brother is a former Force Recon Marine. If there is another Japan-America conflict, should my family all been put in the "camp"?! simply because we are half Japanese? I am also part German, maybe I should have been put in the camp as well because my ancestor killed Jews? Better solution, send us all to gas chamber.

I don't feel America owes Japanese anything. Vice versa. Get over it already. History is OVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History