Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,635 times

Advertisements

Funnily the most decorated regiment in the US Army was composed by Nisei (or Nippo-Americans), the 442nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
I don't agree. I see what you're getting at, but I just don't think that's true. We didn't do that to German-Americans or German immigrants for that matter. Why not? I know that we officially entered the war because of Pearl Harbor, but Germany was still an ally of Japan and they were even closer across the ocean than Japan and Germany just like Japan, was pretty aggressive at sea. What was done to Japanese-Americans was no different than what Hitler did to Jews, except that we can brag that we didn't "kill" them.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I don't agree. I see what you're getting at, but I just don't think that's true. We didn't do that to German-Americans or German immigrants for that matter. Why not? I know that we officially entered the war because of Pearl Harbor, but Germany was still an ally of Japan and they were even closer across the ocean than Japan and Germany just like Japan, was pretty aggressive at sea. What was done to Japanese-Americans was no different than what Hitler did to Jews, except that we can brag that we didn't "kill" them.
Yes, it was different. We fed them decently. We gave them accommodations equal to what our own soldiers were getting. We didn't torture them. I'm sure people died in captivity, but I suspect the death rate was pretty low. Finally, we released those who wanted to be released before the war ended.

It was wrong. It was an example of what happens when racism and intolerance is mixed with fear and hysteria. It doesn't compare with what the Nazis did to the Jews. Racial prejudice exists in all countries. A desire to commit Genocide does not.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yes, it was different. We fed them decently. We gave them accommodations equal to what our own soldiers were getting. We didn't torture them. I'm sure people died in captivity, but I suspect the death rate was pretty low. Finally, we released those who wanted to be released before the war ended.

It was wrong. It was an example of what happens when racism and intolerance is mixed with fear and hysteria. It doesn't compare with what the Nazis did to the Jews. Racial prejudice exists in all countries. A desire to commit Genocide does not.

I agree with the bolded,

The Nazi's were not at all concerned with the lives of those they interned. Bergen-Belsen alone killed something like 50,000 prisoners through starvation, disease and neglect.

The principle difference between the Nisei and NAZI camps is that the Nisei were intended to live and be released after the war - therefor there were schools, clinics, etc. Japanese-American men could serve in our military or work on local farms, while women could join the USO, give blood or work in on-site industry - earning money to buy items at the camp stores. There were weddings, births, baseball games and reasonably guaranteed survival. And, of course, at the end of the war, they were set free.

The NAZI concentration camps, on the other hand, utterly disregarded any human rights or dignity, and certainly as Lord Baal has pointed out, after the Wansee conference it was a matter of the planned extermination of Jews, Gypsies, Slavs and other undesirables.

Japanese internment camps are a shameful part of American history. But it's not in the same league as the holocaust.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Funnily the most decorated regiment in the US Army was composed by Nisei (or Nippo-Americans), the 442nd.
That is right.

THE MOST DECORATED UNIT OF US ARMY WWII 442 REGIMENT JAPANESE - YouTube

Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am mixed Asian myself. I have always been asked "Where are you coming from? You are a very exotic looking beauty. Are you Asian? You look mostly Asian, but not quite, what are you?"

I am Japanese/German/Irish/Hawaiian. I am pretty sure that if I look full German or Irish. NOBODY would ask me "What are you?" or "Where are you coming from?"

A little off topic, I know.

I just cannot imagine the horror and anger those Japanese-Americans must have felt during world war II. Imagine you were living in a country where you call home, all of sudden, you were forced to sell your business, your land, and all your family members were put in a "camp". You were not trusted, respected simply because of your heritage.

I never want to experience something like that. I hope NOBODY ever experiences something like that. This is why history is important. We learn from it and we move on.

p.s. According to this internet article

"During the entire war only ten people were convicted of spying for Japan and these were all Caucasian."

World War Two - Japanese internment camps in the US

Pretty interesting, isn't it?
No, it isn't interesting to me because I think if the Japanese exclusively used ethnic Japanese spies they would have to have the stupidest intelligence agencies in the world since there were very few Japanese-Americans who could actually get access to crucial information and because Japanese American spies would be easy to catch due to race.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
No, it isn't interesting to me because I think if the Japanese exclusively used ethnic Japanese spies they would have to have the stupidest intelligence agencies in the world since there were very few Japanese-Americans who could actually get access to crucial information and because Japanese American spies would be easy to catch due to race.
Your post proves once again that internment camp was not justified.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Exactly, CAPTIVITY; it was not different.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
If you think about it the internment of Japanese Americans or a persons of Japanese ancestry was not as bad as people thought

because the times were a lot different back then , internment was also for their own personal safety, I believe mobs of angry Americans would of burned their houses down and assaulted many innocent people if they were not interned in the camps

this was back when they were still lynching blacks in the south, the racism and mentality of the times is not like today, not very PC back in 1940

so they were actually safer in the camps at that time in history

Today many people still think the same as back in 1940, Ive heard many discussions of what would you do if China went to war with the USA? and a lot of Americans said they would burn all the Chinese business's down and not trust any Chinese or Chinese American, sounds very similiar to how they thought of the Japanese during WWII

Have you read any books that assisted you in formulating this opinion? If so,can you post the title?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:15 PM

804 posts, read 618,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Exactly, CAPTIVITY; it was not different.
Really? German death camps no different than Japanese internment camps? Similar conditions, similar death rates? Below embarrassing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History