U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 AM

16,461 posts, read 19,996,430 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading Red Scare by Robert K. Murray, and I feel like there's grenades being thrown at me in every page. One of the scariest books I've ever read! The miscarriages in Justice back then, the utter denial of free speech, the unconscionable mass media, the hunting down of professors/teachers, even the corporate-kissing religious leaders. What an embarrassing, shameful chapter in our history!

I see now how easy it is to create mass hysteria in this country, and will it ever end!!!

Back then, there seemed to be a Bolshevik hiding everywhere, similar to the 2nd Red Scare. If you dared to strike back then, it was automatically assumed the union was full of Bolsheviks, radicals, influenced by Lenin/Trotsky.

Those pitiful U.S. Steel workers, working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, and they were merely asking for a little more pay and one day off! Movement crushed!

Are these days over? The potential era of another super-patriot movement like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm currently reading Red Scare by Robert K. Murray, and I feel like there's grenades being thrown at me in every page. One of the scariest books I've ever read! The miscarriages in Justice back then, the utter denial of free speech, the unconscionable mass media, the hunting down of professors/teachers, even the corporate-kissing religious leaders. What an embarrassing, shameful chapter in our history!

I see now how easy it is to create mass hysteria in this country, and will it ever end!!!

Back then, there seemed to be a Bolshevik hiding everywhere, similar to the 2nd Red Scare. If you dared to strike back then, it was automatically assumed the union was full of Bolsheviks, radicals, influenced by Lenin/Trotsky.

Those pitiful U.S. Steel workers, working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, and they were merely asking for a little more pay and one day off! Movement crushed!

Are these days over? The potential era of another super-patriot movement like this?
We've seen those days come back in the 21st century since 9/11.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,722,968 times
History does repeat itself.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 PM

By holding the mass media more accountable, much of this could be avoided! Since when has a journalist ever gone to prison for falsifying information!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,311,669 times
Folks saw Russia destroyed due to Bolshevik influence and other eastern european countries struggle with near civil war. Even Germany went though a phase of near insurrection in some cities.

People where alive who had experienced or heard their parents recount the U.S. Civil War. No one wanted that again. 1865-1919 Is only fiftyfour years.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 6,916,930 times
The entire anti-Communist movement in the 1950s and 1960s, especially McCarthyism in the early 1950s, was similar. It lacked the violence of the Red Scare, but a lot of people lost their careers and saw their lives ruined because they were accused of being Communists with little evidence except that maybe they had belonged to a communist front group back when they were college kids in the 1930s.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Question is: did this anti-communist mass hysteria occur in other countries, as well? Or was this something unique to the U.S.? We were the only ones that went overboard, while throwing our civil liberties out the window?

An historian once made an interesting comment: Americans are never happier than when they're on a witch-hunt!

And I associate our continual hysteria over released sex offenders from prison, the smoking hysteria and, even, MADD falls into that category, with our drunk driver witch-hunting.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Question is: did this anti-communist mass hysteria occur in other countries, as well? Or was this something unique to the U.S.? We were the only ones that went overboard, while throwing our civil liberties out the window?

An historian once made an interesting comment: Americans are never happier than when they're on a witch-hunt!

And I associate our continual hysteria over released sex offenders from prison, the smoking hysteria and, even, MADD falls into that category, with our drunk driver witch-hunting.
Canada also had a Red Scare.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
I have a doctor whose parents came to US 25 years ago. She was born I China. her father a college professor was sent to a rural area of china to work in fields as a rice farmer. Waste of education because they feared the knowledge and ruled peasants easily thru food control. The maddening crowd is always dangerous when feed steady diet of propaganda of why they are at top.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 AM

472 posts, read 754,388 times
From what I've read, the US had been pretty hysterical ever since joining World War One in 1917. With the end of the war the mobsters who had previously gone after German-Americans and opponents of the Draft now had to find a new target. After the Red scare had run its course, a lot of them probably joined the Ku Klux Klan, which experienced a spectacular revival in the 1920s.

Could I recommend David M Kennedy Over Here - The First World War and American Society to anyone interested in this period?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History