Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,423 times

Advertisements

With the 100th anniversary of the start of WW1 this year, the BBC's San Snow looks at the facts and myths surrounding the conflict.

BBC News - Lions and donkeys: 10 big myths about World War One debunked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,657,381 times
Good article that gives a primer that many of the pre-conceived notions that people have of WW1 are incorrect.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,219,601 times
Another very popular notion is that the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was the cause of the war, a theory that most historians say is just not true. Geo politics is so huge and complex, and so many other factors were in play, that the death of one man could hardly have triggered the conflict, that war would would have eventually broken out even had the Archduke lived. His death certainly had an impact, but was hardly the major cause of the war.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,706,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Another very popular notion is that the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was the cause of the war, a theory that most historians say is just not true.
No more than Lexington and Concord caused the American Revolution or Fort Sumter caused the Civil War. But I'm not sure how strong a 'myth' that and some of the other ones in the article are. In some cases, they seem more to be the misperceptions some people may have when asked about it rather than strongly held beliefs. I think people who self-identify as knowing something about or who regularly think about WWI wouldn't believe most of them, whereas people who are hearkening back to a history class they dozed through 30 years ago might.

That said, other than maybe overselling the notion of 'big myths' I liked the article. I guess the centennial will increase the number of people who think about the war, so it's timely.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 AM

618 posts, read 937,941 times
The French train car used to sign the German armistice in 1918 belonged to Napoleon III. It was used as symbolism to correct France's loss in 1871. Hitler would use it the same way in 1940.

On a side note, Bismarck was opposed to the annexation of Alsace Lorraine in 1871. He rightly believed the French would seek revenge. The military felt it needed them as frontier provinces for future conflicts.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,449,662 times
I'm currently reading A Short History of World War I, just for my general edification, and so far I must say it's one of the most readable academically-authored war history books I have yet to try. I like that it is by a Canadian author (which means that there is no worry of, say, a U.S. author tending to give less attention to the pre-US entry years), though you can't really tell a perspective difference. Quite a good job on his part so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History