Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 AM

618 posts, read 938,763 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this 1933 movie? It is available on YouTube.

Gabriel Over the White House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is about a pro-business President who ignores government's role in helping the poor, solving other societal ills, and fighting organized crime. He shows no real leadership and is controlled completely by his special interest cabinet.

He has a car accident and becomes transformed. He decides that he can solve the countries ills and the checks and balances political system is a big barrier. Long story short, he dissolves congress, disbands his cabinet and takes absolute control. He is portrayed as a very charismatic leader, guided by God, working day and night to solve America's problems. He takes on the Mob by suspending the judicial process and arrests their leaders. He gives the unemployed cash and public works jobs.

The movie is a fantasy but I was surprised Hollywood produced it. It shows why countries do turn to dictators. I found it a very interesting film.

Last edited by jobseeker2013; 02-15-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:42 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
The movie is a fantasy but I was surprised Hollywood produced it. It shows why countries do turn to dictators. I found it a very interesting film.
And it's our current feeling of alienation from the processes and practice of democracy, our susceptibility to the "pop wisdom" that cliques of powerful unseen men control our lives, but that some charismatic can bring "change", our envy of other peoples success and a desire to seize the rewards of their efforts (while zealously guarding our own little idyll); all of these inconsistencies, contradictions and double-standards -- which pose the greatest threat to the American experiment in parliamentary pluralism.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 AM

472 posts, read 925,307 times
I remember watching it. When he dies, I found myself thinking "Can anyone remember where we put the Vice-President?"

Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And it's our current feeling of alienation from the processes and practice of democracy,

The only thing that is (or has ever been) democratic in America is the selection of which of two nearly identical political parties will stand and watch as the unregulated rich and powerful take America for themselves, and bribe the political parties to let them.

That democracy is "good" presupposes that the majority of people place the well-being of the general public above that of the few.

Rising to the top of any society will be the wise and the wily. Democracy assumes that wisdom of leadership will dominate over wile, with the consent and the gratitude of the electorate, but as we see daily, it is the other way around.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The government of the United States is dominated by big money supported lobbyists that tell the Congress and Administration to make the laws that will protect existing wealth as well a promote war to keep employment for the chosen at a controllable level. Our Democracy only choses which flavor of corruption we will be controlled by: the money manipulators or the resource stealing militarists.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM

It is very interesting that when you look at American political history, major significant change has only happened a few times. Most of the time it really is a status quo with very little happening. It takes a lot of effort with the system's check and balances to get anything of significance done. Politicians run on "when I'm President, I will get xxxx done" Yeah right, it has to be introduced and passed in both chambers of Congress and then pass judicial review. So when I hear voters disappointed in certain politicians for not doing anything, I wonder if they voted for the Democrat President and also the Republican Congressman? Hmmm, I scratch my head sometimes.

Last edited by jobseeker2013; 02-16-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The only thing that is (or has ever been) democratic in America is the selection of which of two nearly identical political parties will stand and watch as the unregulated rich and powerful take America for themselves, and bribe the political parties to let them.

That democracy is "good" presupposes that the majority of people place the well-being of the general public above that of the few.

Rising to the top of any society will be the wise and the wily. Democracy assumes that wisdom of leadership will dominate over wile, with the consent and the gratitude of the electorate, but as we see daily, it is the other way around.
Yes, indeed --- the "general pubic". the "greater common good". 'mankind,, "humanity". "society"

Pick any buzzword you like; all of it is merely the justification used by the would-be empire-builders to create a larger and more-expensive bureaucracy, which you envision can be financed by the supposedly-limitless wealth of the people they demonize.

And don't even think of returning the separation of those justifiably in need of help from those who simply make a career out of "playing the system". Without centralized Federal control, the professional bureaucrats and functionaries wouldn't have much of a meal ticket. (Better charge racism". "sexism" or "homophobia" to keep Big Brother at the levers of power.

The workings of an expanding global economy over the past two decades have led to greater pressure on the North American democracies. They cannot compete in the market for the high-wage, sophisticated products and jobs with overempowered unions (particularly in the non-competitive public sector), and too much societal regulation and overhead weighing them down.

And when the workings of the markets demonstrate this hard reality, the next step is the imposition of the thinly veiled Fascism called Political Correctness.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM

What you are saying is well and good...however, keep in mind of vacuums. You arre substituting one power for another. I don't think the substitute is any better, it's probably worse.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,868 times
"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
(Source: John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, editor (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co. 1854), Vol. IX, p. 229, October 11, 1798.)

Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
^^^^^^ this is why democracy is a utopian buzzword having no grounds in it. As Demos is NOT moral and religious.

OP, you didn't know that the best system in the human history is enlightened monarchy? Quick, just, unbribable, having no vices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History