Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
United States. Biggest atrocity was against its own native people.
Uh; American Indians had the rep of doing some really nasty stuff to each other even BEFORE 1492. Will the Comanche apologize for what they did to other tribes? Will the Aztecs do that and so on? Too; AI's came from Asia so they ain't any more "native" than another other American, Mexican and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anti-American sentiment, even hatred, is understandable, given our historical misdeeds, over the years, and if we want to heal the wounds, and if were to apologize, ask for forgiveness, which countries would be high on the list and for what reasons? And do you think it would do any good? Some of these countries, the younger residents, probably don't even realize what we did to them, years ago, and it could backfire, generating more hatred towards us.

What do you think?
That is your opinion but I'd say in its history compared to most nations its a good history. They may talk but who do they turn to when problems.Japan and Germany plus all of Europe should appreciate the difference that occurred after WWII. Certainly South Korea. I can think of a lot I'd say no one trust from past history and only thing stopped them was unable to succeed or hold on to direct control over other countries.Like envy; hate and jealousy in anything to do with human;s ist just part of human behavior. That is three of the reasons to look at for motive for murder; after all.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Anti-American sentiment, even hatred, is understandable, given our historical misdeeds, over the years, and if we want to heal the wounds, and if were to apologize, ask for forgiveness, which countries would be high on the list and for what reasons? And do you think it would do any good? Some of these countries, the younger residents, probably don't even realize what we did to them, years ago, and it could backfire, generating more hatred towards us.

What do you think?
The problem is first you got to get people to admit wrong doing and unfortunately because everything that has happened benefits citizens of the U.S. They will never admit any wrong doing and when presented with reasonable debt that the actions of the U.S wasn't quite on the up and up, then rationalization comes up "well the Hawai'ians conquered hawai'i from others so we shouldn't be held accountable. Or everyone does it so its ok, or we had this vote you see Etc etc.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; American Indians had the rep of doing some really nasty stuff to each other even BEFORE 1492. Will the Comanche apologize for what they did to other tribes? Will the Aztecs do that and so on? Too; AI's came from Asia so they ain't any more "native" than another other American, Mexican and so on.
Thats a rationalization to justify not taking responsiblity for our actions. Further Native Americans are not from Asia, that was a theory that was never proved. NAIs are native to the land except for the fact that we all came from africa in the beginning. Further its safer to say NAIs our closely related to the polynesians who traveled by the polynesian island to North Americans before the whites, and eventually some settled down and had children with verious NAI tribes.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Are you suggesting a charge of the light brigade against the Russian Army again?
Once more into the breech dear friends? eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewill2014 View Post
you bring Switzerland as an example???? LOL.....they don't give a shiat about anybody but themselves, even in WW 2 they stayed neutral and were hiding for the Nazis the wealth and gold they stole and killed during the war. They didn't even send 1 soldier to fight in a war to save Europe from Nazism or Communism. is that want you want the U.S. to be, to stick their heads in the sand and ignore the world around us.
Why not? The Swiss have a good thing going. They have one of the highest per capita GDP, one of the lowest levels of business corruption, and one of the highest life expectancy rates. Do good things in the world with peace keeping, and great tourism. In 2009, there were less than 100 homicides in the whole country! I know of cities with higher rates than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
We should go to war primarily to defend this country. Going to war to police the world is eventually futile and too many things go neglected here at home in the process or a large deficit occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetrader View Post
No US troops ever set foot in North Vietnam, so please, get some facts before spouting off about relatively recent history.
Not true at all. I know for a FACT my Uncle Jimmy spent 14 months in North Vietnam in a POW camp, as did MANY of our soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I just wish Obama had balls.
Maybe if he asks nicely, and he can get her to shut the h*ll up long enough; he can borrow his wife's pair!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
AI's came from Asia so they ain't any more "native" than another other American, Mexican and so on.
So if we finally prove it, once and or all, the Native Americans came from Asia, then, theoretically, we stole America from Asia, and one day they may decide to take their territory back from the Spanish, French and British thieves!

Same with Canada, Mexico, with their Native American Asian populations!

Alright, then! Another apology forthcoming!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Such a vague, general word - They! Someone else posted something similar in regards to the Philippines - They!
Who are They? Me suspects it's the rich business owners wanting protection!

As for those born deformed in Vietnam, as a result of our use of chemical weapons in that country, I don't think they're members of the They crowd!

Let's never forget: Silence can be louder than a scream!
Yet, there has not been any Vietnamese terrorism against the US in the years since the end of the war. Vietnam didn't do 9/11, even though one would think they would have more motivation to do so than any other country. Nor have there been any Vietnamese suicide bombers since the end of the war, when one would think that the people of Vietnam would be the most anti-American people on the planet. They have reason to be, but they're not.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Our apology to Vietnam comes by way of making them a trading partner, as 35% of the coffee in the world, comes from Vietnam, and buying the fish from their fish farms!

It surprises me too! As most people would be shocked at how easy it can be to smuggle a nuclear missile into a country!

This is why I think it's important to make some apologies, as one day, we may not have the money to maintain a strong military force. And as you know, you fall to the sidewalk on your knees, and there's any number of people who enjoy giving you a last good kick, and you're lying flat on the sidewalk!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:40 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Also, I wonder how many of the posters on this thread are not American citizens or were not born here. The thread should have the word forgiven in it not forgived....sorry, I just had to say it.
Well, how does it matter? Besides, 1 in 4 Americans doesn't know Earth circles sun, so in comparison with such a disaster, a small grammar flaw can be forgiven. Sorry, just had to say it.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:47 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

Maybe if he asks nicely, and he can get her to shut the h*ll up long enough; he can borrow his wife's pair!
He will need to promise her to dig dirt for her vegetable garden on the White House lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History