U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 PM

22,358 posts, read 26,863,458 times

Advertisements

Anti-American sentiment, even hatred, is understandable, given our historical misdeeds, over the years, and if we want to heal the wounds, and if were to apologize, ask for forgiveness, which countries would be high on the list and for what reasons? And do you think it would do any good? Some of these countries, the younger residents, probably don't even realize what we did to them, years ago, and it could backfire, generating more hatred towards us.

What do you think?

Last edited by tijlover; 02-27-2014 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Add lines
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:13 AM

5,902 posts, read 5,476,418 times
-Iran due to the Anglo-American Operation Ajax (the overthrow of Mossadegh (sp?)).
-Guatemala due to the U.S.'s overthrow of Arbenz.
-Chile due to the U.S.'s overthrow of Allende.
-Hawaii (no longer a country) due to the U.S.'s overthrow of Queen Liliuokalani.
-Nicaragua due to the U.S.'s overthrow of Zelaya.
-Afghanistan due to the fact that we stopped caring about it too quickly after the Soviets withdrew from there in 1989.
-Et cetera.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:38 AM

5,902 posts, read 5,476,418 times
These Wikipedia articles can help you with your research (Note: Some cases of U.S. regime change are arguably morally justifiable, though):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert...change_actions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._regime_change

You're welcome!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 AM

22,358 posts, read 26,863,458 times
Thanks for those uploads, Futurist! I didn't think you could find that kind of info on Wiki!

As far as the Philippines, I don't think the average resident of that country even realizes the harm we did to that country, over the years, given that Imelda is back there as a 2-term legislator, and she hasn't been hanged upside down, by her feet, in a public square in Manila!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 AM

28,901 posts, read 51,978,759 times
Oh, good grief. I'm really uninterested in going on a global apology tour. I mean, hey, just about every major country on the planet has a catalog of sins equal or even worse than what the United States did either in the pursuit of realpolitik or just stupidity. I mean, the OP mentions the Philippines, but forgets the fact that the United States liberated the islands from the Spanish, who were far worse colonial masters. What's more, the Americans actively moved to give the Filipinos their independence without the pressure of a serious insurgency. I mean, if the American experience in the Philippines was so awful and we are so hated, why does the Filipino army continue to honor Douglas Macarthur by calling his name at roll call? Why have the Filipinos, after closing our naval bases 20 years ago, invited us back? The answer is that we're much nicer than the Chinese, that's why.

While we're getting in the Way Back Machine, let's not forget that Iran was a pretty terrible offender in the Middle East when they actually had power. The British, French, Germans, Dutch, Spanish, and Portuguese all gleefully committed their own atrocities. The Danes had a pretty nice little slavery thing going in the Virgin Islands. And the Belgians were so ruthlessly, brutally exploitive in the Congo that their behavior would have made Himmler blush. The Cubans were exploiting Grenada before the Americans got involved in 1982 and were running amok all over Angola. The Nicaraguans, Hondurans, and the rest of Latin America were rather effective at brutalizing their own people and their native populations without our tutelage. All the United States did was pretty much displace one corrupt dictator with another more to our liking. Even as we speak, the current regime in Venezuela has taken what was once a stable and prosperous country and turned it into a dictatorship with a rotting economy. It has gotten so bad right now, that I'm pretty sure that many Venezuelans are getting nostalgic for the days of American gunboat diplomacy. In other news, the Russians are up to their old tricks in the Ukraine.

The Chinese pretty much brutalized their neighbors and their own countrymen, the less said about the Japanese the better, and the Arabs went on a lemming-like crusade to conquer the world. Hey, to this day, some Arabs still dream about reconquering Spain. The Incas and the Aztecs, by all accounts, butchered any other peoples they encountered and the aboriginal tribes of North America did the same. After all, those Anasazi ruins in the desert Southwest are up on a cliff face for a reason, and it wasn't aesthetics. They needed a place to pull up their ladders and retreat when some tribe up the river came marauding. The Maoris were a particularly bloodthirsty lot, witness their complete annihilation of the Chatham Islanders in the 19th Century. Hawaiians waged warfare for years, until Kamehameha killed all the other chieftains who could possibly oppose him. And the list goes on and on and on.

My point? Hey, I'm not a disciple of Nietzsche, Carlyle, and Gobineau, but show me a people that's in existence today and I'll show you a huge number of sins in its past undertakings, whether for survival or the expansion of national power. So the OP's contention that the United States was some kind of evil power while the rest of the world has clean hands is just absurd. To be sure, we have made mistakes as a country and as a people. But if we're going to apologize to the world, then we need to get in line behind some much worse offenders in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-28-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM

48,565 posts, read 22,647,716 times
"Behind every great fortune, there is a crime."
Honoré de Balzac

Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,114,579 times
I'm still waiting for Britain to apologize to the U.S. for that American Revolution thing.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,791,377 times
Im still waiting for much of the world to come thank us for all the good and generous things we have done for them.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,959,984 times
It's a balance. While not perfect, we tend to do more good than harm. Maybe you should do an article on which countries have hurt themselves the most? Sudan, Chad, Iraq, Iran, Syria, USSR, Argentina, Venezuela, Paraguay, Viet Nam, China, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan.

Start with that. It would be a life long project with no end. They do more damage to themselves than we ever thought we dreamt we could do to them. Hard to "hurt" a country that chops the limbs off of kids who have parents that merely disagree with the status quo.

Please, if anything, most countries should be thanking us. If you don't believe me, simply stop flying our supply planes, at our cost, to every flea bitten nation in the world and let them fend for themselves. Then, come back and tell me how that works out WITHOUT our "help".

Old 02-28-2014, 02:19 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,102,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, good grief. I'm really uninterested in going on a global apology tour. I mean, hey, just about every major country on the planet has a catalog of sins equal or even worse than what the United States did either in the pursuit of realpolitik or just stupidity. I mean, the OP mentions the Philippines, but forgets the fact that the United States liberated the islands from the Spanish, who were far worse colonial masters. What's more, the Americans actively moved to give the Filipinos their independence without the pressure of a serious insurgency. I mean, if the American experience in the Philippines was so awful and we are so hated, why does the Filipino army continue to honor Douglas Macarthur by calling his name at roll call? Why have the Filipinos, after closing our naval bases 20 years ago, invited us back? The answer is that we're much nicer than the Chinese, that's why.

While we're getting in the Way Back Machine, let's not forget that Iran was a pretty terrible offender in the Middle East when they actually had power. The British, French, Germans, Dutch, Spanish, and Portuguese all gleefully committed their own atrocities. The Danes had a pretty nice little slavery thing going in the Virgin Islands. And the Belgians were so ruthlessly, brutally exploitive in the Congo that their behavior would have made Himmler blush. The Cubans were exploiting Grenada before the Americans got involved in 1982 and were running amok all over Angola. The Nicaraguans, Hondurans, and the rest of Latin America were rather effective at brutalizing their own people and their native populations without our tutelage. All the United States did was pretty much displace one corrupt dictator with another more to our liking. Even as we speak, the current regime in Venezuela has taken what was once a stable and prosperous country and turned it into a dictatorship with a rotting economy. It has gotten so bad right now, that I'm pretty sure that many Venezuelans are getting nostalgic for the days of American gunboat diplomacy. In other news, the Russians are up to their old tricks in the Ukraine.

The Chinese pretty much brutalized their neighbors and their own countrymen, the less said about the Japanese the better, and the Arabs went on a lemming-like crusade to conquer the world. Hey, to this day, some Arabs still dream about reconquering Spain. The Incas and the Aztecs, by all accounts, butchered any other peoples they encountered and the aboriginal tribes of North America did the same. After all, those Anasazi ruins in the desert Southwest are up on a cliff face for a reason, and it wasn't aesthetics. They needed a place to pull up their ladders and retreat when some tribe up the river came marauding. The Maoris were a particularly bloodthirsty lot, witness their complete annihilation of the Chatham Islanders in the 19th Century. Hawaiians waged warfare for years, until Kamehameha killed all the other chieftains who could possibly oppose him. And the list goes on and on and on.

My point? Hey, I'm not a disciple of Nietzsche, Carlyle, and Gobineau, but show me a people that's in existence today and I'll show you a huge number of sins in its past undertakings, whether for survival or the expansion of national power. So the OP's contention that the United States was some kind of evil power while the rest of the world has clean hands is just absurd. To be sure, we have made mistakes as a country and as a people. But if we're going to apologize to the world, then we need to get in line behind some much worse offenders in the grand scheme of things.
This is a great post. Even though people often tell me I should be, I am not ashamed to be an American. I disagree with boatloads of policies and actions the country has taken over the years, but the whole 'root of all evil' thing is ridiculous and slanderous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History