Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

general james longstreet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I did a yahoo search and found the movie " Ride with the Devil" from 1999 Thanks I'll see if they have it at Hollwood Video......
I am interested in Quantrill and Jesse James

Also : How was Custer as a Civil War General? When I was a kid, Custer was a hero, now he's a moron. Intersting how History changes with time....
That's the movie!

I have to reread my books on Custer, I have "Son of the Morning Star" around here somewhere. From what I remember his activity in the civil war was similiar to his activity in the indian wars - foolhardy, boisterous, reckless, out for glory...but I think if I remember he was the youngest brigadier general in the union army. I did read up on a event in the Foote books a week ago - he got caught up in a trap set up by Stuart's CSA cavalry in late 1863. Thought he suprised the cavalry and started chasing after the CSA across the river, only to find a superior mounted enemy cavalry division on the other side and Custer was forced to come to a standstill and run in the other direction. Stuart chased him across the river, lathered horses running for their lives, much to the amusement of the Army of Virginia...Laughingly known in the CSA army as "The Buckland Races".

Old 01-03-2008, 12:29 AM

238 posts, read 823,843 times
Stonewall Jackson and Robert E Lee. No question!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
I attended the Battle of Stones River (Murfreesboro TN) re-enactment last weekend. The National Battlefield (Park Service) did a great job: they had some Confederate cavalry (TN Walking Horses), Union artillery, and both Union and Confederate infantry demonstrations - then they had a combined arms battle. The Battlefield has the nation's oldest intact Civil War monument, erected by William Hazen's brigade at Hell's Half Acre. Unfortunately, most of the battlefield has been lost to development...

The Battle of Stones River (Dec 31 1862 - Jan 2 1863) was one of the bloodiest battles of the War; the Union fielded about 41,000 troops and the CSA fielded about 35,000 troops; casualties suffered in the battle were Union 13,249 and CSA 10,266; more casualties than at Shiloh or Antietam; both sides suffered the highest percentage of casualties of any major battle.

Both Armies were newly organized: the Union Army of the Cumberland under Rosecrans and the CSA Army of Tennessee under Bragg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln to Rosecrans
You gave us a hard-earned victory, which had there been a defeat instead, the nation could scarcely have lived over.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM

Funny story about Bragg:

Quote:
Bragg had a reputation for being a strict disciplinarian and one who adhered to regulations literally. There is a famous, perhaps apocryphal, story about him as a company commander at a frontier post where he also served as quartermaster. He submitted a requisition for supplies for his company, then as quartermaster declined to fill it. As company commander, he resubmitted the requisition, giving additional reasons for his requirements, but as the quartermaster he denied the request again. Realizing that he was at a personal impasse, he referred the matter to the post commandant, who exclaimed, "My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarreling with yourself!"
Braxton Bragg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM

For Bunky39:

"Longstreet ... was the finest corps commander in the Army of Northern Virginia; in fact, he was arguably the best corps commander in the conflict on either side."

James Longstreet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I did a yahoo search and found the movie " Ride with the Devil" from 1999 Thanks I'll see if they have it at Hollwood Video......
I am interested in Quantrill and Jesse James

Also : How was Custer as a Civil War General? When I was a kid, Custer was a hero, now he's a moron. Intersting how History changes with time....
Yes, "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee" changed my perspective on George Custer also. What a terrible man!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:43 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Nathan Bedford Forrest was quite active and effective right here where I live. Near Shilo.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 4,038,319 times
Well I would have to say that George Armstrong Custer is certainly worthy of being included in the company of those already mentioned.

Though only a staff officer, Custer was present at First Bull Run and the opening part of the Pennisula Campaign. During the pursuit of Gen. Joseph Johnston, Custer took command of four companies of Michigan infantry and led an attack across the Chickahominy River. The result was the capture of 50 Confederate soldiers. It was this action that caught the attention of General McCllellan, on who's staff Custer served next, with a temporary rank of Captain. After McCllelan was relieved of command, Custer moved on to the staff of Major General Alfred Pleasanton.

During the lead up to Gettysburg, Custer took command of three regiments at Brandy Station that had lost their officers. He led them through the battle and out of danger. Two weeks later at Aldie, he was engaged with elements of Gen. Jubal Early's cavalry, specifically the regiment of Colonel Thomas Rosser. Custer was cut off and only narrowly survived the encounter.

It was at this point that Pleasanton decided to promote some of his most promising officers in hopes they could turn the fortunes of his struggling cavalry corps. One of the officers he chose was Custer. Custer was promoted from Captain to Brigadier General. At the age of 23, Custer became the youngest person ever to receive that rank. This is what earned him the nickname of "The Boy General". He was put in command of the Michigan Cavalry Brigade, which he led into the Battle of Gettysburg.

After nearly being captured at Hunterstown on July 2nd, Custer's next action was on the 3rd of July. He led an attack of the 7th Michigan Cavalry in support of Colonel David Gregg's 2nd Calvary Division which was being routed by Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry. Though he was able to stop the defeat of Gregg, both of their forces were driven back by a Confederate counterattack, with Custer losing a quarter of his command. Gregg and Custer regrouped and led a preemptive strike against Stuart which caused the Confederate assault to completely collapse.

After Gettysburg, the cavalry corps of the Army of the Potomac was reorganized under Gen. Philip Sheridan. Serving under Sheridan, Custer participated in the Battle of the Wilderness. By far one of Custer's best battles was at Yellow Tavern. His Michigan Cavalry engaged J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry. In the resulting battle, the Confederates were nearly driven from the field and Stuart was mortally wounded by one of Custer's men.

Custer took part in Sheridan's Shenandoah Campaign against Jubal Early, ending in the destruction of much of Early's command at Cedar Creek. Custer played the key role in the final defeat of the remainder of Early's force at Waynesboro. Custer also figured prominently in the Confederate defeat at Five Forks, which ultimately led to General Lee's decision to abandon Petersburg and withdraw toward Appomattox.

It was Custer's force that blocked General Lee's only remaining retreat route from Appomattox, and also received the first flag of truce from the Army of Northern Virginia. Lastly, the table on which Lee signed the document of surrender was purchased by General Sheridan and presented to Custer as a show of respect and appreciation for his bravery and accomplishments. The table remained in the possession of Custer's widow, Elizabeth, until her death.

I have always thought it unfortunate that the activities of Custer during the Indian wars and his death at the Little Bighorn, have eclipsed and virtually erased all that he did during the Civil War. It says much about Custer the man, I believe, that even 132 years after his death, he still stirs controversy, just as he did while alive.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 AM

4,688 posts, read 4,038,319 times
Not trying to turn this into a George Custer thread, but I ran across this which I thought was interesting. It is a General Order from Custer to his troops and delivered at Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865:

"During the past six months, though in most instances confronted by superior numbers, you have captured from the enemy in open battle 111 pieces of field artillery, 65 battle flags, and upward of 10,000 prisoners of war, including seven general officers. Within the past ten days, and included in the above, you have captured 46 field pieces of artillery, and 37 battle flags. You have never lost a gun, never lost a color, and never been defeated; and, notwithstanding the numerous engagements in which you have borne a prominent part, including those memorable battles of the Shenandoah, you have captured every piece of artilllery which the enemy has dared to open upon you."

Lastly, for any of you that have an interest in Custer and the Indian wars, I would highly recommend the following books:

"Cavalier in Buckskin: George Armstrong Custer and the Western Military Frontier" by Robert M. Utley

"Custer's Last Campaign: Mitch Boyer and The Little Bighorn Reconstructed"
by John S. Gray

"Centennial Campaign: The Sioux War of 1876" by John S. Gray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History