Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Greek Hero?
Achiles 2 15.38%
Odysseus 3 23.08%
Heracles 2 15.38%
Theseus 0 0%
Jason 2 15.38%
Atalana 0 0%
Oedipus 0 0%
Bellerophon 0 0%
Perseus 2 15.38%
Other (please specify) 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:36 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times

Advertisements

Obviously, we are talking Greek mythological heroes here. Who is your favorite and why? Please, be extremely detailed.

I am thinking about this because I am reading Thomas Cahill's SAILING THE WINE DARK SEA: WHY THE GREEKS MATTER.

Cahill makes the very interesting point that in Homer's time, Achilles, demi-godlike in his invulnerability and swiftness, was the quintessential Greek hero, and the Iliad was by far the more popular work. Odysseus, by contrast, who got his very own sequel in the Odyssey, is an ahead-of-his-time, almost post-modern anti-hero (my words here, though, not his) who is known as a dissembler, a liar, a cheat, and con man, and who, despite his bravery, is capable of great cowardice (pretending to be crazy as not to fight).

But of course, in discussing favorites, Heracles, more well known to the world in the Roman guise of Hercules, has to be brought in as the world's first super hero (literally, as a demi-god) who continues to be a super-hero, and wildly popular, to this day. Much like superman, every generation has its own Heracles/Hercules. Whether Steve Reeves, Lou Ferigno, Kevin Sorbo, the Marvel Comics version, or the 2014 version, this guy, with his famous twelve labors and any number of other tales, is undoubtedly Western Civilization's most consistently popular hero.

There is Theseus, most famous indeed for slaying the minotaur and I would guess, in his time, just behind Achilles and Heracles for fame. I am not the biggest Theseus guy, but a lot more should be said about him, so advocates of Theseus, please come out.

There is Jason who made the epic voyage to find the golden fleece. This guy gets a lot of personal points from me since in modern times, JASON AND THE ARGONAUGHTS remains one of the most beloved Greek Myth films ever.

Similarly, Perseus got a big boost for both versions of CLASH OF THE TITANS? Who can deny severing the head of the Gorgon and defeating the Kraken as deeds that Heracles would be jealous of, even if they were slightly re-written in the films?

How about Atalanta, the real-life-myth version of Xena? Most famous for killing the Calydonean boar, sailing with the Argo (in some versions) and loosing a foot race due to treachery that none-the-less allowed her to be married, any lady can find a fine roll model here.

Though obviously not as grandiose in any kind of entertainment sense, Oedipus remains the prototype of a tragic hero, and a the subject of the best literary treatment of any of these. This is the one for literature fans.

Essential to the concept of the Greek hero...and why most of them fall...is hubris, or pride that causes them to overreach. Bellerophon, who killed the Chimera, is the finest example of hubris and the best metaphor next to Icarus. Contrary to movie lore, it was Bellerophon, and not Perseus who tamed Pegasus. Unfortunately, he subsequently tried to ride Pegasus to Olympus and was punished by Zeus with a great fall.

So, who is your favorite? Do you have another that I have not mentioned? Please discuss in detail why you empathize with your favorite, or why you just think they are cool?

PLEASE NAME ALL OF THOSE I HAVE MISSED!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Paris, Prince of Troy, because he started a war for the love of Helen, Queen of Sparta.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
I was 7 when I've read about Perseus and Medusa. Ever since, both have filled my imagination and more than once I've thought what'd be like having snakes for hair, and being able to convert people into stone just by looking at them straight to the eyes.
Of course in my own mitology, Perseus falls for medusa instead of beheading her.
So, I suppose they are my favorite characters in this poll.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Achilles and Perseus are my two favorites.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:31 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Achilles and Perseus are my two favorites.
figures, I like Odysseus.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
figures, I like Odysseus.
He's my third favorite. I like his anti-hero qualities.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I identified with Cassandra, the princess of Troy who had the gift of prophecy from Apollo, but when she refused him as a lover, he cursed her so that she would always be right, but never be believed. My situation at the time when I first learned about Cassandra was being the only openly atheist in the Catholic high school my parents forced me to attend. Before Cassandra my mythology role model had been the boy in the "Emperor's New Clothes" who is the only one to point out that the emperor is actually naked. I switched to Cassandra because that seemed more classy and educated.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
My favorite: GANYMEDE.

According to Homer, Ganymede was from Troy and the most beautiful young man in the world. The god Zeus became infatuated with Ganymede, and in order to abduct him Zeus assumed the form of an eagle and flew down to Mount Ida and swooped the hapless young man back to Mount Olympus where he could spend eternity in order to be the great god's "cup-bearer." (I suspect "cup-bearer" is an euphemism for something else.)

Now Zeus was a randy and naughty god. He was attracted to LEDA ... another favorite of mine ... and in order to seduce her he came to her in the form of a beautiful swan.

Better still, Zeus wanted to make an impression on the beautiful lady DANAE ... and this time he didn't come to her in the form of a bird ... but - get this! - as a "Shower Of Gold"!

I guess old Zeus was rather kinky, and he was able to "swing both ways." He was also into golden showers.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
Kratos

Old 03-29-2014, 03:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
BTW, my favorite Egyptian goddess is Isis. Imagine searching the world for bits and pieces of your murdered husband who was dismembered and scattered all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History