Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:12 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I've found this file about the history of Scots-Irish

The Scots-Irish: Becoming America

I always thought they were more Irish than Scottish/Scots-Irish in the US but after reading several articles about it , I wonder if the Scots-Irish aren't more.
Read it. Not bad account of the Ulster-Scots and their movement to America.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I've found this file about the history of Scots-Irish

The Scots-Irish: Becoming America

I always thought they were more Irish than Scottish/Scots-Irish in the US but after reading several articles about it , I wonder if the Scots-Irish aren't more.
There is a whole lot more than most people realize. Their pride of place, tenacity, pure and unadulterated will power, sense of personal pride and loyalty are the very things that legends are made of. I don't think most modern day Americans have a clue about the character, backbone and persistence of the Scots-Irish and the sacrifices they made for this newly born nation we call America.

The 'irish' part is due to their emigration from Scotland during very tough times and England was glad to have them in Ireland as they believed their presence would calm and settle the Irish from making too many demands on England and fighting back at the tyranny of the English government.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
There is a whole lot more than most people realize. Their pride of place, tenacity, pure and unadulterated will power, sense of personal pride and loyalty are the very things that legends are made of. I don't think most modern day Americans have a clue about the character, backbone and persistence of the Scots-Irish and the sacrifices they made for this newly born nation we call America.

The 'irish' part is due to their emigration from Scotland during very tough times and England was glad to have them in Ireland as they believed their presence would calm and settle the Irish from making too many demands on England and fighting back at the tyranny of the English government.

A Hessian soldier fighting on the English side said it was a Presbyterian rebellion. And it seems others agreed.

George Washington said '' If defeated everywhere else, I will make my stand for liberty among the Scots-Irish in my native Virginia. ''

The town of New Londonderry in New Hampshire - first settled in the early 1720s by Ulster Presbyterians from the Bann Valley around Coleraine and Ballymoney - sent more soldiers to aid George Washington's armies than any other colonial town.

Ralph Barton Perry ( author of Puritanism and Democracy - published New York 1944 ) said that '' when account is taken of the Scots-Irish Presbyterians, the Germans of the middle and southern colonies and the New England congregationalists, it is safe to say that the bulk of the revolutionary armies came from dissenters of the Reformed or Calvinistic sects. From the clergy of these sects came also the religious leadership.

A representative of Lord Dartmouth, writing from New York in November, 1776, agreed ''Presbyterianism is really at the bottom of this whole conspiracy, has supplied it with vigor, and will never rest.

Jonathan D.Sergeant, member of the Continental Congress from New Jersey, said that the Scots-Irish were the main pillar supporting the Revolution in Pennsylvania.

Horace Walpole and others in the court of King George III in London were convinced the whole war was nothing more than an uprising of rabble-rousing Presbyterians - a son of latter-day Cromwellian outburst against the due civil, ecclesiastical and political order of a sensible and free British Empire.

It was significant that the only churchman in the American Continental Congress of 1776 was Scottish-born Presbyterian cleric the Rev John Witherspoon and he was a principal signatory of the Declaration.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Speaking of Hessians vis-a-vis the Scots-Irish, a lot of the Hessian remnants after the war settled among the Scots-Irish in America's Appalachian frontier.

The numbers of Scots-Irish people were much larger and large clans formed, but one can come across a fair number of German surnames in Appalachia among the people of Scots-Irish ethnicity.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:35 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
A Hessian soldier fighting on the English side said it was a Presbyterian rebellion. And it seems others agreed.

George Washington said '' If defeated everywhere else, I will make my stand for liberty among the Scots-Irish in my native Virginia. ''

The town of New Londonderry in New Hampshire - first settled in the early 1720s by Ulster Presbyterians from the Bann Valley around Coleraine and Ballymoney - sent more soldiers to aid George Washington's armies than any other colonial town.

Ralph Barton Perry ( author of Puritanism and Democracy - published New York 1944 ) said that '' when account is taken of the Scots-Irish Presbyterians, the Germans of the middle and southern colonies and the New England congregationalists, it is safe to say that the bulk of the revolutionary armies came from dissenters of the Reformed or Calvinistic sects. From the clergy of these sects came also the religious leadership.

A representative of Lord Dartmouth, writing from New York in November, 1776, agreed ''Presbyterianism is really at the bottom of this whole conspiracy, has supplied it with vigor, and will never rest.

Jonathan D.Sergeant, member of the Continental Congress from New Jersey, said that the Scots-Irish were the main pillar supporting the Revolution in Pennsylvania.

Horace Walpole and others in the court of King George III in London were convinced the whole war was nothing more than an uprising of rabble-rousing Presbyterians - a son of latter-day Cromwellian outburst against the due civil, ecclesiastical and political order of a sensible and free British Empire.

It was significant that the only churchman in the American Continental Congress of 1776 was Scottish-born Presbyterian cleric the Rev John Witherspoon and he was a principal signatory of the Declaration.
You're 'preaching to the choir' sir. I have no doubt about the qualities of the Scots-Irish which they acquired through hardships of all sort in their countries of origin. Of course they supported the Revolution, having been pushed and chased out of their countries due to various conditions they arrived in America and made their last stand and they're still here to this very day. We're everywhere across this landscape.

The ancestors of the family I grew up in (and their progeny) in America have fought in every single American war beginning with the French Indian War and up to this present day.

I have an ancestor named George Washington McKinley (he went by the name of 'Mac'), if memory serves me he and his father both fought in the Revolutionary War.

The Scots-Irish are a tenacious bunch and it appears it is a trait passed down through the ages. Not a bad trait to have in one's arsenal.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Their journey has always been one of being 'between a rock and a hard place'. On the border between Scotland and England. Then to Ulster where they struggled to survive facing both Irish and English hostility so off to America they went and were placed as a buffer between the Indians and the Quakers.

When James Webb give his book the title Born Fighting it may have been because they were always at the sharp end. They had to fight to survive.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
You're 'preaching to the choir' sir. I have no doubt about the qualities of the Scots-Irish which they acquired through hardships of all sort in their countries of origin. Of course they supported the Revolution, having been pushed and chased out of their countries due to various conditions they arrived in America and made their last stand and they're still here to this very day. We're everywhere across this landscape.

The ancestors of the family I grew up in (and their progeny) in America have fought in every single American war beginning with the French Indian War and up to this present day.

I have an ancestor named George Washington McKinley (he went by the name of 'Mac'), if memory serves me he and his father both fought in the Revolutionary War.

The Scots-Irish are a tenacious bunch and it appears it is a trait passed down through the ages. Not a bad trait to have in one's arsenal.
Spot on, and it is a miracle they have survived as a distinct people. However, will it continue? This is an article I came across and the Scotch-Irish have been scrubbed and placed in the Other Groups section. Also a link to To Ulsters Credit...

Scotch-Irish will no longer be included in official US census figures- POLL
Shock move by Census Bureau as new Irish American figures announced
By
BERNIE MALONE,
IrishCentral Staff Writer
Published Friday, January 6, 2012, 7:32 AM
Updated Friday, January 6, 2012, 12:22 PM

Scotch-Irish will no longer be included in official US census figures
Photo by elizabethcelticfestival.com
Almost 35 million people currently living in the US claim Irish ancestry, according to the just released figures from the Census Bureau’s annual American Community Survey for 2010.

But in a controversial move the figures for the numbers of Scotch-Irish are no longer available. The Census Bureau has announced the change.

In a statement they said “While the ancestry tables will all look the same, the interpretation of the"Scotch-Irish" and "Other groups" estimates will change. ….Individuals reporting Irish-Scotch are no longer tabulated as "Scotch-Irish" but rather are included in the "Other groups" category.”

That information could well upset the millions of Americans who are of Scotch-Irish heritage which will no longer now be acknowledged as a separate heritage.

US Senator Jim Webb of Virginia has been an outspoken advocate of the Scotch-Irish and wrote a best selling book called "Born Fighting” about them.

Among the most famous Scotch-Irish are Andrew Jackson, Davy Crockett and President Chester Arthur.

Much of the appeal for Northern Ireland tourism efforts to woo American tourists has been aimed at the Scotch-Irish, primaily in the south. Now it will be far more difficult to locate them.

https://kuborange.wordpress.com/thei...john-knox-ch8/

Old 01-29-2018, 03:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,012,991 times
It's not surprising that the Census has dropped the Scotch-Irish classification as they have not been an identifiable ethnic group since the 1700's. The most that can be said is that they were one of the major strains that went into forming the population that identifies itself as simply "American" on the census.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 PM

522 posts, read 715,232 times
I will agree with you on that one (much to my chagrin) that the ulster american folk park is interesting....

Old 01-30-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
It's not surprising that the Census has dropped the Scotch-Irish classification as they have not been an identifiable ethnic group since the 1700's. The most that can be said is that they were one of the major strains that went into forming the population that identifies itself as simply "American" on the census.
Aye, they are inclined to do that. Go to a country and take the name of that country whereas the Irish especially become Irish-Americans and not Americans. I think the same goes for Italians and some others in America.

Though I think some Ulster-Scots folk in America are aware of their roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History