Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Thankfully this was handed back to these people after being in a Glasgow Museum for many years..I saw this shirt before it was sent back and now there is a replica on display.

Colonel William F Cody (Buffalo Bill) brought his Wild West Show to Dennistoun in October 1891. The show opened on the 16th of November, and closed on the 27th of February 1892. He was accompanied by Sioux Braves and sharpshooter Annie Oakley. The show played at the East End Exhibition Building off Duke Street for three months as part of the great East End Industrial Exhibition set up to raise funds for the People's Palace. The Ghost Shirt, worn by a Sioux Indian at the Battle of Wounded Knee, was sold by the Lakota interpreter of his show George C. Crager and displayed in Glasgow museums for over 100 years. It was finally returned home to the South Dakota museum in Pierre until the Lakota people have their own museum. The Ghost Shirt was seen for the last time in Glasgow's Kelvingrove Museum & Art Gallery on July 25 1999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Thankfully this was handed back to these people after being in a Glasgow Museum for many years..I saw this shirt before it was sent back and now there is a replica on display.

Colonel William F Cody (Buffalo Bill) brought his Wild West Show to Dennistoun in October 1891. The show opened on the 16th of November, and closed on the 27th of February 1892. He was accompanied by Sioux Braves and sharpshooter Annie Oakley. The show played at the East End Exhibition Building off Duke Street for three months as part of the great East End Industrial Exhibition set up to raise funds for the People's Palace. The Ghost Shirt, worn by a Sioux Indian at the Battle of Wounded Knee, was sold by the Lakota interpreter of his show George C. Crager and displayed in Glasgow museums for over 100 years. It was finally returned home to the South Dakota museum in Pierre until the Lakota people have their own museum. The Ghost Shirt was seen for the last time in Glasgow's Kelvingrove Museum & Art Gallery on July 25 1999.

The "Battle of Wounded Knee" was a massacre of unarmed Miniconjou/Lakotah (Sioux). the "Ghost Dancers" had surrendered to the 7th Cavalry and were led to Wounded knee for holding.

Men, women, children all gunned down. Exact number unkown but is believed to be 300.

The "Brave" soldiers received the "Congressional Medal of Honor" for this "Brave Deed"

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee

The shirt is of great importance to all the Sioux.

Lakotah, Makotah, Dakotah, Minicanjou, Hunkapapa Ogala. All the people of the Sioux Nation.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
A lot of soldiers were killed. The indians were hiding their weapons. It was not all one sided.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
A lot of soldiers were killed. The indians were hiding their weapons. It was not all one sided.
25 Soldiers were killed, some by fire from the Hotchkiss guns.

The presence of the 7th Calvary was in violation of the Laramie treaty. they were on Lakotah land.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:40 PM

+39 wounded, 6 mortally. Which is a larger amount for post-Civil War indian engagements. Shows how deadly the combat was that artillery had to fire among the soldiers mixed in with the indians.

Better to be proactive than reactive. If the indians were not restless there would be no need for the soldiers to have been there.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
+39 wounded, 6 mortally. Which is a larger amount for post-Civil War indian engagements. Shows how deadly the combat was that artillery had to fire among the soldiers mixed in with the indians.

Better to be proactive than reactive. If the indians were not restless there would be no need for the soldiers to have been there.
How restless would you be if all of a sudden Afghanistan Settlers came into your town and started claiming land there?

This was the home of the Lakotah and guaranteed to be a "Sovereign Nation" by the treaty of Laramie.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM

I deal with what actually happened during the era it happened rather than go on tangents into hypotheticals. You new to the History forum?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I deal with what actually happened during the era it happened rather than go on tangents into hypotheticals. You new to the History forum?
My error. I apologize. I spend too much time in the religious forums. I am new to the History forum.

The topic just hit home with me as my wife is considered part of the Lakotah although she is Northern Cheyenne.. We spend a lot of our time on "Pine Ridge" and "Standing Rock"

Returning to topic. The shirt is of high importance to my Wife's people. Wounded Knee is almost sacred ground to the Lakotah and Cheyenne. It is not that far in the past. There are great Grandchildren of the survivors still living on "Pine Ridge"

Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 AM

You are a good man. My apologizes if I sounded brusque.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
You are a good man. My apologizes if I sounded brusque.
No problem my friend.

I should have stuck to history instead of emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History