Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times

Advertisements

I didn't watch it but my mother told me that there were men on the moon. I ducked thinking that they were right on top of us or on the roof or something.

I don't recall how long it was after that-a few hours, a few days, something like that-I was outside and the moon was visible during the day. I remember looking up at it and thinking to myself, "Wow, there are men up there."

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
I was at Anaheim Stadium watching an Angels double-header. They put "We Have Landed On The Moon" up on the "Big A" scoreboard during the first game and the fans broke into wild applause and cheering. Southern California was the epicenter for the space program and many people at the game that day had been a part of making it a success. Including members of my own family. It was very personal for us.

Later that night we watched the moon walk on TV then went outside as a family to look at the moon. The pride we felt was enormous. I can remember saying, "Dad. You did it!" and he said, "It's not over until the ascent engines (one of the things he'd helped develop and build) fire correctly and we get them back off." We all stayed up and sweated the firing of the rockets until word came that that had been successful. We REALLY celebrated when they made re-entry safely, landed in the water and the guys got picked up by the Hornet. We were gathered around the TV for that one too.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-24-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

I saw the landing at a drive-in theater in Dallas. I can't remember what the main feature was but it may have been 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'.
How did you see the landing at a drive-in in the year 1969?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Sitting in my parent's living room, watching it live(7 at the time, but a "space geek). An amazing event, not something to forget. It's amazing how far we have slipped in 45 years.
I worked for the space industry for several years and this is mind numbing. I liken it to a rather simple, yet serviceable 60s sedan compared to a modern car which is neither simple nor serviceable.

Engineers would attempt to reinvent the wheel to do something 45 years removed as they have forgotten that simple technology.
The same holds true for automobiles.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:14 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Sitting in our living room with the late hubs and our four sons. (Number 5 wasn't born yet)
Of course, we were mesmerized at the thought that people were actually on the moon! About a half hour before Neil Armstrong took his first step, the neighbors next-door to us left their house, jumped in their car and drove off.

To this day, I wonder where on Earth they were going at such a remarkable moment. I never asked.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
So CD members, where were you when the moon Landing happened in 1969? What were you doing then?
I was spending a week at my Uncle and aunts farm in Arkansas. Everyone else had gone to bed and i was laying in the living room floor watching the TV with my hands behind my head for a pillow.Was very strange as to the contrast of a moon landing and being at my uncles farm in Arkansas with all my old relatives photos on the wall and a old wall clock ticking. Priceless!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How did you see the landing at a drive-in in the year 1969?
Could have been on closed-circuit TV. We used to go to a sports arena to watch broadcasts of the Indy 500 years before it was available for home-viewing.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I worked for the space industry for several years and this is mind numbing. I liken it to a rather simple, yet serviceable 60s sedan compared to a modern car which is neither simple nor serviceable.

Engineers would attempt to reinvent the wheel to do something 45 years removed as they have forgotten that simple technology.
The same holds true for automobiles.
I was unable to get excited over the Spirit and Opportunity Mars rovers, considering that we put two Viking landers on Mars 'way back in the 70s.

I was also underwhelmed by President Bush's proposition to make another stunt moon landing within 15 years, considering it had only taken 9 years to do it the first time.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Could have been on closed-circuit TV. We used to go to a sports arena to watch broadcasts of the Indy 500 years before it was available for home-viewing.
Wasn't possible in those days. The only way to get an image onto a drive-in theater screen at the time was by a film projector.

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" was not released until October of that year, so if the poster saw the moon landing at the same theater showing, it must have been a newsfilm clip of the landing at the theater months after the event.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
About a dozen private companies are getting ready to launch. This one expects to begin this year:

Welcome | Virgin Galactic

Five years from now a thousand people a year will be going into orbit. Tickets are running $200,000 each but profits from that will finance a new generation of larger launch vehicles that will bring the price down to $50,000 and include a week at an orbiting hotel. In ten years tickets will be $5,000 and in 15-20 years you'll be able to go into orbit for $1,000 while $5,000 will take you to a resort on the Moon.
When I read about this I always flash back to reading Heinlien. His stories were about ordinary people living in places we don't live yet, and bringing their traditional human problems with them. Maybe he was our visionary afterall. I got to meet him once on his only visit to the last LASFS meeting house. (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society, fifty years old in the 80's, and I'm a lifetime member). He couldn't do autographs, but it was such an honor just to meet him and tell him how much his writing had meant to us. Maybe time to put away the magical tech stories and remind ourselves that space is another place to go, and it wasn't really ours until the pioneers made it home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History