U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which age had a better quality of life in Italy?
Roman Age Italy 6 46.15%
Renaissance Age Italy 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:31 PM

6,205 posts, read 8,352,813 times

Advertisements

It seems like in the times of the Romans the people of the Italian peninsula enjoyed a much higher quality of life than the rest of Europe and again in the Renaissance ages people in the Italian peninsula enjoyed a much higher standard of living.

It's a rather vague question, so it should encompass all qualities that play into standard of living for a typical citizen. There was a growing middle class in both ages. Tell me, which age do you think people enjoyed a more comfortable and higher standard of living in?

Just to clarify, this is highlighting the heights of both ages. So basically 50BC to 250AD or so for the Romans and 1450-1650 AD for the Renaissance. This is give or take a few years, not to be exact, just highlighting the golden age of both eras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:41 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
The thing you need to think about when comparing these two is population size. Renaissance had more and brought on the black plague with it, I would prefer the older Roman times.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
The thing you need to think about when comparing these two is population size. Renaissance had more and brought on the black plague with it, I would prefer the older Roman times.
Well the bubonic plague was technically before the Renaissance age, from 1347-1351 if memory serves me right. Granted, there were smaller repeat occurrences of the black death throughout Renaissance Europe after that.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:14 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,308,781 times
The answer to your question depends on what class you are in. if you were a wealthy Senator is ancient Rome your quality of life was probably equal to if not better in some respects than a wealthy king or merchantman in Rennaissance
Italy or Europe in general. The Roman Senator was more hygienic and would most likely would have had access to all the Roman world had to offer at that time.

Life for the poor would be harsh regardless of the era. In Rome, there was a form of upward mobility whether through business or military service. But like Rennaisance Italy it was highly regimented. Rennaisance Italy did not have slaves, but life was hard for the poor. But I would prefer Rennaissance Italy because the world was changing and that may have engendered greater hope especially after the discovery of the new world.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:24 PM

472 posts, read 754,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

Weren't there also some pretty bad epidemics in the Roman period?

Old 06-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The answer to your question depends on what class you are in. if you were a wealthy Senator is ancient Rome your quality of life was probably equal to if not better in some respects than a wealthy king or merchantman in Rennaissance
Italy or Europe in general. The Roman Senator was more hygienic and would most likely would have had access to all the Roman world had to offer at that time.

Life for the poor would be harsh regardless of the era. In Rome, there was a form of upward mobility whether through business or military service. But like Rennaisance Italy it was highly regimented. Rennaisance Italy did not have slaves, but life was hard for the poor. But I would prefer Rennaissance Italy because the world was changing and that may have engendered greater hope especially after the discovery of the new world.
Great explanation. I think it's a fascinating question, Italy really was the marvel of Europe for two ages. What a wealthy person in ancient Rome has would be access to most of the Roman Empire, which was far more vast than any of the collected city states in Renaissance Italy.

However, the urban renewal and architecture and forward thinking of the Renaissance people is pretty fascinating. They were still backwards in many ways, and still probably not as hygienic as the Romans, but they were a knowledgeable folk who also produced great minds.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 AM

1,380 posts, read 880,826 times
during the roman period a lot of people were slaves (slavery was really common in that period, they were estimated as the 20-30% of the population), so i think that the average standard of life was higher in the Renascence, in particular in the wealthier cities like Florence or Venice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or