Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A lot of those are just German or Polish names or other names from languages in places where the Jewish diaspora ended up. A lot of what people think of as "Jewish" names are just occupational names that were for common occupations for Jews in Medieval Europe. They weren't using ancient Hebrew surnames for the most part.
Do the Jews still not know their own culture? Did they completely lose their identity like Black Americans did? That answer is no.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
So, I am "white" and I have no idea where I come from either. I can take a guess based loosely on what my grandparents told me. Most African Americans probably know more about where they came from compared to most white Americans who came from all over Europe and beyond.
Go and ask a random non-immigrant Black American what country or tribe in Africa do their ancestors came from and see how many crazy stares you will get.

Quote:
From what I can tell, I have about 5 countries that my more recent ancestors came out of. There were lots of problems going on in some of those countries and I have no idea which ancestors were affected.
So your comparing why you don't know your own personal ancestry to Black Americans who were systemically and purposely stripped of their ancestral identity?

Quote:
I have a dna kit from 23 and Me sitting in the other room waiting for me to mail it back so I can learn more about my roots - I can only suggest you do the same. I'm not sure why African Americans always come to these threads playing the victim card. Like many people have said, every race and culture has faced horrific atrocities through history.
Victim Card?? Why do you have such a hard time acknowledging history for what it is. Black Americans where victims of slavery in the United States. Black Americans got screwed over as they went through some of the worst treatment and conditions a human being could ever go through. Even after slavery officially ended, Black Americans still had to deal with racial discrimination and hatred just because of their skin color. So many Blacks died just to be able to drink at the same water fountain as Whites or eat at the same restaurants as others without having to deal with racial segregation. In some parts of the country, a Black man could get killed for simply staring at a White Women. The list can go on and on as I could easily name a lot more things Black Americans had to go through that no other group will ever experience in the United States. So please don't try and simply write off something as a "victim card" because this is real history that actually happen. I know a lot of people try to act like 300+ years of oppression never existed but please try have a little more compassion.

Quote:
Not one person on this forum can say their ancestors escaped unscathed. Heck, my white ex boyfriend as recently as the 1990s escaped to the US from Bosnia where he faced being put on the front lines and killed in their war if he stayed. The Serbs came to his family's land, put a gun to their heads and said "you no longer own this land." Jews were literally massacred, starved to death and piled up dead by the millions just 1 generation ago.
That's like a rapist telling a rape victim that there is blame on both sides when it came to the rape incident. It's like saying it is both the rapist and the rape victim's fault that the incident occurred.

Quote:
Did you know that seamen would not venture anywhere near many parts of Africa for 100s or thousands of years, because the African tribes were well-known for attacking, killing, and taking captive European sailors?
Africans were generally friendly towards Europeans and non-African foreigners in general. African people are not racist by nature because they had no concept of race before European arrival into Africa. Europeans took advantage of African hospitality and also took advantage of them by starting conflict between various rival tribes as tribal wars have existed long before European arrival. If the majority of Africans were attacking and killing Europeans on sight during that time period, the Atlantic Slave Trade would have never happen. Africans even to this day still love Europeans. If you don't believe me, just take a trip to Africa and see how much warmth and love you'll get from them.

Quote:
It seems as though you are here looking for some sort of validation while discounting anything that happened to other non-African American cultures and races.
Never said that other racial groups have never experienced discrimination or hardships. It just that they are not comparable to what Black people had to endure over the past 400 years. It would be like comparing the Jewish Holocaust to the Gay Rights struggle. Yes both groups faced discrimination and hardships but they are two completely different issues and circumstances.

Quote:
In the end it is not a race issue, it is a human issues with no color barrier. By continually discounting anything that happened to non African Americans, and trying to use the white man as a scape-goat, YOU are making it a race issue.
What are you going to say next? "racism doesn't exist". Your statement alone really shows oblivious and downright clueless you are to the reality of this country. Nothing more to say after that.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-10-2014 at 01:02 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 03:56 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Yes, ALL races have at some point.

The key is how well they are able to adapt and progress. Some races do a good job of surviving and thriving, while other wallow in blame and entitlement, essentially dooming their own people through a cultural lack of adaptation.

Jews who were slaughtered by the millions in recent history are a good example of a race that chooses progress and thriving over blame and self-victimization. Every white race has also been a victim of historical atrocities, but it is currently not the popular PC thing to do to acknowledge it.

Africans are still capturing, killing, and enslaving their own people to this day, while offering them for sale to the highest bidder, yet we are taught to ignore this and blame the white man for every cultural failure within the black community. They should take a lesson from the Jews or every other enslaved and persecuted race (lots of white people too) from history that went on to survive and thrive.

Every human group on the face of the earth has been slaved, persecuted and their cultures erased to extinction many times, more so since the advent of agricultural and water empires.

For example, take people in Western Europe, most arrived 5.000 ago from the Caucasus and nowdays Turkey and "removed" local population, killing all the males and preserving some of the females. Most of the true native European culture, Megaliths and Cardium Poterry and inhabitants disappeared. European languages disappeared and were replaced by Indoeuropean languages.

Later, Rome appeared and "standardised" their empire by imposing their culture, civilizatio, exterminating a countless number of tribes, languages, nationalities so thoroughly that now we don't know a thing about them....then comes Christianity....

The extermination went on for centuries, and when America was discovered, a large part of the "surplus" was sent there, in fact, many people in the Americas were bound to be exterminated in Europe, such as the Pilgrims, protestants from Catholic areas, deserters, etc. Had they remained in Europe, most would be dead.

And now, a descendant of a black slave complains of slavement during one or two centuries!!! Idiotic.

Most Europeans descend from slaves, serfs. Serfs were slaves bound to a land and a Lord under a feeble contract of protection. Before the arrival of Africans, white people were the slaves in America, poor children were captured as sent as slaves to America.

At least a black slave had a value, quite expensive, a European peasant was free, no value whatsoever.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
but what does that mean, exactly?

I get that it's code for something and that it's supposed to illicit some emotions but what do you mean when you say it?

Because when I read it I just see a logical fallacy the kind that would read something like:

Some A = B therefore All B = A which, in the context of race is pretty much what being a bigot comes down to and what NoGMO was saying was very much so.
If you are that curious, here is some links for you to look at.

What is Institutional Racism?

http://www.solid-ground.org/Programs...NLINE_7-09.pdf

10 Signs of Institutionalized Racism - Higher Education

Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Aborigines
Ainu

Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
since my identity is spiritual and not determined by my society nor country no one can strip me of it. my race is not my identity ever.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A lot of those are just German or Polish names or other names from languages in places where the Jewish diaspora ended up. A lot of what people think of as "Jewish" names are just occupational names that were for common occupations for Jews in Medieval Europe. They weren't using ancient Hebrew surnames for the most part.

One of the first things Zionists did when coming to Israel was to recreate Hebrew as a modern living language and make it the lanuage of Israel rather than Yiddish or a European language like English, Polish, German or Russian with new words to name things in a 20th Century society that didn't exist in Biblical times like the Hebrew word for a automobile or a radio. Scholars argued for hours over what such words were to be and how to write them in Hebrew characters. Another thing done was some Israelis did change their family names to a Hebrew anticedent. For example the founder of the Israeli state changed his name to Ben Gurion (Hebrew is related to Arabic like English and French are related to Latin and each other and similar words are found in both lanuages Ben means son of in Hebrew and its Arabic equavalent is Bin so Bin Laden means the son of Laden which is a Yemeni clan) and the family of the current Israeli Prime Minister changed its name to Netanyahu.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
I can name several cases of where a preceeding culture was ruthlessly destroyed and virtually erased from its peoples. The first is China and the creation of China by the First Emperor Qin Wang'de who conquered the states that now make up the core of China and forced all his subjects to adopt a standardized language and form of iconography to write it no trace of the language and culture of states like Chu, Ming, Jiang, Li , Wu or Xi remained after Emperor Qin's work. Qin's name pronounced Chin is were we get the name of the nation he created "China" and the Chinese launguage he introduced is still spoken by 1.4 billion people today nearly 4000 years later. A second is the ruthless destruction of lanuages and cultures in the Americas by European conqueres . Especially ruthless were the Spanish who destroyed long lived civilzations in what is today Mexico (The Mexica or Aztecs) , CentroAmerica (The Maya) and the Land of the 4 Directions (Tiawantsuyu) in South America ruled by the Inka (religion, lanuages and culture were stamped out and much of great value like the Mayan codexs of which out of 16 only one survives today. The Mayans kept very detailed records of the heavens which would be of use to modern astronomers and of course the history of this part of the World). Some parts of the lanuage servived in the Native American communities and Quecha is spoken today in Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador and scholars are trying to piece others back together again. My final example is what the Russians did when they crossed the Urals into the vast regions of Eurasia that is now the Russian Federation where they conquered many peoples and set about the task of Russification. The forced adoption of the Russian language, the conversion of names to more Russian forms and spelling and finally the forced conversion to the Russian Orthodox faith.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Native Americans.
Yep. Worse than blacks. Native Americans with dark skin get CALLED and treated LIKE, Black wherever we go. If being, sometimes, outright TOLD we're a different race than we are, isn't being "stripped of your identity" I don't know what is.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:24 PM

112 posts, read 130,447 times
Acadians (Cajuns)? Irish people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History