Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

A recent thread, since closed, took note of the influence of the Masonic order in the writings and activities of some of the founding fathers and many of our Presidents. I'd like to see some further discussion of this subject. (For the record, I am not a Freemason, but spent much of my childhood under the tutelage of a career-educator relative who was.)

If our founding fathers were all christian, then why did they say this:

As a start, I want to recommend the book The Secret Architecture of Our Nation's Capital, by David Ovason. Pierre L'Enfant, who laid out the streets of our capital was a very committed Mason, and none of our Presidents was either more committed to Freemasonry, nor more aware of his legacy, than George Washington. Masonic rites played a part in the groundbreaking for both the Capitol and the Washington Monument, and reportedly, considerations with regard to the position of prominent stars, both present and future. was a consideration in the layout of many prominent D. C. streets.

http://www.mastermason.com/wilmettepark/pres.html

The number of U.S. Presidents who were identified with the Masonic Lodges has also been expanded in recent years; the reasoning behind it might be due in part to the institution's greater controversy in earlier times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 AM

200 posts, read 509,009 times
According to the following website few founding fathers were Masons: Founding Fathers
In fact, few of the founding fathers were orthodox Christians in the sense that we understand today. Several, like Franklin and Jefferson, were deistic in their thinking, having been influenced by the philosophical movement of the 18th century enlightenment.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Masonic thought and deed had a profound impact on not only the US but all of Europe,
indeed in some way all the world, with the exception of Latin America.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Masonic thought and deed had a profound impact on not only the US but all of Europe,
The low incidence of Masonic influence in Latin America can be traced, in part, to the Catholic church's opposition to Freemasonry, but that might be about to mitigate itself, given the origins and apparent greater open-mindedness of the new Pope. In the community where I grew up, we had active chapters of both the Masons and the Knights of Columbus, but the differences died out about ten years ago and apparently, a lot of the Knights took an interest in Freemasonry, and were welcomed with little or no clerical opposition.

A little check of History will also reveal that strong Masonic influence has often been cited as a factor in the origins of Mexico's Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) -- the junta which brought stability to the nation after 25 years post-Diaz, and which was to rule uninterrupted for 72 years afterward.

I'd take exception, however, to the contention that Freemasonry had much influence in Asia, since most Asian theology doesn't subscribe to the concept of a single Deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
According to the following website few founding fathers were Masons: Founding Fathers
In fact, few of the founding fathers were orthodox Christians in the sense that we understand today. Several, like Franklin and Jefferson, were deistic in their thinking, having been influenced by the philosophical movement of the 18th century enlightenment.
So according to the link, Masons provided 16% of the signers of The Declaration of Independence, 13% of the Constitutional Convention, and nearly half (46%) of the leadership of the Continental Army. And to that can be added 31% of U S Presidents (14 of 45).

In a parliamentary democracy where 10% -- 15% of the population (a figure not far off-base for both African-Americans and Evangelical Christians) is viewed as holding substantial influence within a coalition, I believe the influence of what is, by nature, a well-organized and philosophically-rooted component tends to be understated.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-10-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 05:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
And even in South America, Masonic thought and principles played a large part in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, where many European Protestants settled. The Catholic church did not hold equal sway in all parts of the continent.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Some conspiracy theories directed at the Masons. Masonic origins are reputed to go at least as far back as the Knights Templar.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:02 PM

79 posts, read 175,042 times
I have my great-great grandfather's apron and other Masonic items, as well as much of his writing, published and private. This thread is helping me better understand his beliefs and remarkable life. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History