Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:21 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times

Advertisements

It seems a bit off target to blame an entire race for something a few among that race did 150 plus years ago. If someone wants to blame the white race for american slavery, they must also be reminded that it was that same white race that stomped out american slavery in 1865.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Laws against slavery did not stomp out the effects or what followed years later, mco65. The racism that permeated the society was not limited to a few people. Please check history.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM

23 posts, read 42,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It seems a bit off target to blame an entire race for something a few among that race did 150 plus years ago. If someone wants to blame the white race for american slavery, they must also be reminded that it was that same white race that stomped out american slavery in 1865.
A few?? Over half of the White people who lived in the U.S. had African slaves, for the Whites who didn't have slaves it wasn't out of some sense of morality, but most likely because they couldn't afford to purchase slaves. If you think "some" of that hate and bigotry hasn't been passed down, you're kidding yourself. The U.S. is still deeply racist against Non-Whites.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:50 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
Our education and political system has a lot to do with it. Institutions of
higher learning have many radical professors whose sole purpose it seems is to
stir people to rage against White Conservatives.
Lodestar, you are aware of the amount of racism that exists within this country against nonwhites and other groups, aren't you? Stormfront.org, for example, is alive and well. Are you just as concerned about this?

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-10-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGMO View Post
A few?? Over half of the White people who lived in the U.S. had African slaves
You are in error with the above.

The actual figures from the 1860 Census:

US Population..27,167,529
Persons held as slaves..3,950,546
National percentage of slave holding families...8%
Southern percentage of slave holding families...33%
http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decenni...s/1860a-02.pdf

So, it was 8%, somewhat less than the "over half" which you wrote.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The thing that really gets me is how when this topic is brought up, blacks usually refer to slavery and say that all this aggression towards white folks is a result of that time. They tend to forget one thing though and I never ever see it brought up by them. Why is it that they put all the blame for slavery on the white american/european slave owners yet none on thier fellow African tribesmen who were responsible for the gathering and selling of these very same slaves during the transatlantic slave trade? They conveniently forget to mention that when condemning slavery. Why?
I could just as easily flip the question and ask this:
Why do those who spin endless excuses for slavery (it wasn't that bad, slaves were treated well because they were valuable property, the Civil War wasn't about slavery at all but about the oppressive North victimizing the South, etc.) only defend slave owners, and not the African tribes who sold members of rival tribes into slavery?

The answer, of course, is the same for your question: we are primarily discussing American history, or the history of the United States. You are presenting this as a black v. white question, but if you'll take off your black-and-white colored glasses for a moment, you'll see that Americans who discuss slavery don't much dwell on the various white Europeans engaged in the commerce of the slave trade, either. I notice you're not complaining that they get little attention for their deeds (nor do you show any interest in highlighting their roles in the slave trade).

In the context of American history we Americans are mostly interested in the history of Americans. Those non-Americans who worked to bring slaves to the American market, whether they were African tribesmen or European merchants, simply don't get as much attention for that very reason. As a matter of American history, as a question of how we walked down our complicated path from then to now, as an issue of who we all as Americans are, what was done and experienced by Americans is of far more importance than the actions of a London merchant working the Middle Passage or a particular Igbo chief selling captives from a raid on a neighboring tribe.

There's a great deal of historical responsibility for the slavery to be spread around, but perhaps by looking at your own lack of interest in the roles of non-American white merchants in the slave trade, you'll begin to see an answer to your own question.

Last edited by Unsettomati; 07-10-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM

23 posts, read 42,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You are in error with the above.

The actual figures from the 1860 Census:

US Population..27,167,529
Persons held as slaves..3,950,546
National percentage of slave holding families...8%
Southern percentage of slave holding families...33%
http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decenni...s/1860a-02.pdf

So, it was 8%, somewhat less than the "over half" which you wrote.
I've read sources that have stated over half of Whites owned African slaves. The source you referenced is providing data from 1860 which is only one year of data in the over 400 years that the enslavement of Africans legally existed in the U.S. I Could be wrong, it's not really important to me to be honest but congratulations on your "victory" if you're correct.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:19 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
but you could look it up if you were interested in facts - for the history forum BTW

Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Lodestar, you are aware of the amount of racism that exists within this country against nonwhites and other groups, aren't you? Stormfront.org, for example, is alive and well. Are you just as concerned about this?
Of course I am. I live here and so do my family. I want a healthy society for us.

Racism and bigotry are fed by fear and rage and people who live with those emotions as a motivator can't have mentally healthy and fulfilling lives.

I don't believe that a country can thrive when too many of its people have emotional health problems.

But isn't it kind of a waste of time slinging accusations back and forth? Doesn't seem to move us any further toward a solution.

What I'm saying is I've done my fair share of studying, feeling outraged, feeling guilty. After a while I got done with that. Now I'd like to do something more constructive.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGMO View Post
I've read sources that have stated over half of Whites owned African slaves. The source you referenced is providing data from 1860 which is only one year of data in the over 400 years that the enslavement of Africans legally existed in the U.S. I Could be wrong, it's not really important to me to be honest but congratulations on your "victory" if you're correct.
I provided my source, the 1860 US Census. How about you providing any of the sources you claimed to have read in determining that it was over 50%.

And you do severe damage to your credibility with these sorts of practices, claiming in the aftermath of your error that it's "not really important" leaves us wondering why you felt getting that false 50% information out there was important. The truth is unimportant, but your propaganda points are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History