Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, who committed the worst atrocities during World War and why?
Japan 14 15.05%
Nazi Germany 63 67.74%
Italy 0 0%
The Soviet Union 9 9.68%
Great Britain 1 1.08%
The United States 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times

Advertisements

Many atrocities were committed, by both sides, during World War II but in your opinion, which country committed the worst atrocities and why do you believe it is the worst?

Personally, I choose Nazi Germany because with Hitler it wasn't just about simple conquest and subjugation but rather the complete genocide and extinction of people.

Without getting preachy, the Bible states that Satan comes to kill, steal, and destroy.

Assuming that statement is true, it seems to be that the Nazis were literally and figuratively
"doing the Devil's work".

What is more in humane or monstrous than wiping a whole race or sub-race of human beings out of existence?

Last edited by phlinak; 07-15-2014 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,819,066 times
Ignoring the irrelevant Bible stuff...can this honestly be up for debate? Honestly? "Personally" I choose as you did....

Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 AM

553 posts, read 592,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Mod cut: quoted post deleted.
Maybe you never heard of the Bataan Death March? I saw some of the cells the Japanese kept American POWs in in the Philippines. Perhaps you never heard of the cave the Japanese would take American POWs to at low tide. At high tide the cave was underwater. I think you can figure out what happenned.

There was one quirk about the Japanese, however: They believed anyone with red hair was descended from the sun-god. If some one with red hair was among the American POWs, well, he was a god, he could do as he chose--but the Japanese would not harm him. I knew a man who had been in the Bataan Death March. One of the Americans had red hair. His buddies told him he may as well take advantage of it. So he finally simply walked away. The guards froze with awe as he walked past them. He was a god. He could do as he chose.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-20-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,756,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Mod cut.
Seriously, do you not know your history? Japan is a good candidate, not because of Pearl Harbor or the surprise attacks on Singapore, Hong Kong, or Malaya, in the slightest, but because the Japanese Imperial Army murdered up to 10 million civilians and POWs in WW2 and the Chinese war phase preceding it. Only about half of those were Chinese. They also include Filipino's, Indonesians, Koreans, and western prisoners of war.

I didn't answer the poll, just saying...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-20-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,585,803 times
Well if you get down to it the Axis powers, in opposition to the West and the Soviet Union at the time, really went off the rails and lost their minds and morality in pursuing that opposition. Anybody that stood in their way...pow and good night. In the calculus of human relationships their types are the highest example of man's inhumanity to man.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
I know the Japanese were monstrous but I voted for the Nazis because of the Holocaust.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM

12,061 posts, read 23,089,443 times
I think it is rather pointless to try and measure attrocities when they are all on a grand scale. As far as heads of state, I'll pick Stalin because he committed a significant amount of crimes against his own people.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Seriously, do you not know your history? Japan is a good candidate, not because of Pearl Harbor or the surprise attacks on Singapore, Hong Kong, or Malaya, in the slightest, but because the Japanese Imperial Army murdered up to 10 million civilians and POWs in WW2 and the Chinese war phase preceding it. Only about half of those were Chinese. They also include Filipino's, Indonesians, Koreans, and western prisoners of war.

I didn't answer the poll, just saying...
IMO, Japan is a good candidate but for second place or third place. Not to say the Japanese, the Soviets, the Americans and the British were angels but the evil of the Nazis simply dwarfs all others.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,756,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
IMO, Japan is a good candidate but for second place or third place. Not to say the Japanese, the Soviets, the Americans and the British were angels but the evil of the Nazis simply dwarfs all others.
Agreed. The Soviets were up there as well. They were brutal to surrendered German forces and civilians, as well as his own people. Many German POW's never lived to see Germany again, and the treatment of German civilians was not much better.

The Americans and British I can only assume are included due to the strategic bombing campaigns and A-bombs. However from my opinion there is a big difference on bombing during a total war scenario, even on civilian targets, in provinces that are still AT WAR...vs. killing surrendered troops, or killing civilians in an occupied and surrendered provinces, or collecting civilians based on race or religion to systematic put to death in killing factories.
Both are terrible - but the former is war, total, horrible as it is...the later is murder, and you cannot compare one to the other.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 AM

447 posts, read 729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Agreed. The Soviets were up there as well. They were brutal to surrendered German forces and civilians, as well as his own people. Many German POW's never lived to see Germany again, and the treatment of German civilians was not much better.

The Americans and British I can only assume are included due to the strategic bombing campaigns and A-bombs. However from my opinion there is a big difference on bombing during a total war scenario, even on civilian targets, in provinces that are still AT WAR...vs. killing surrendered troops, or killing civilians in an occupied and surrendered provinces, or collecting civilians based on race or religion to systematic put to death in killing factories.
Both are terrible - but the former is war, total, horrible as it is...the later is murder, and you cannot compare one to the other.

I agree with that. I did vote Germany but one of my WWII books says 16 million Chinese civilians died and just about all at the hands of the Japenese. Course these #'s may be a bit many as most books dont say that many as they say more like 10 to 12 million. Ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History