Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times

Advertisements

I'm always interested when slavery is brought up as a factor in fighting the civil war ... I think, which is the whole debate, that it was a factor more toward ending the war than the actual root cause. Why? Because the economics behind the civil war are too complicated to fully understand, while the moral issue of slavery is more cut and dry and easy to understand. The Emancipation Proclamation freed not one slave, it made slavery a moral issue to keep France and Europe out of the war, as the south was trying to get both of those countries to help in their causes of civil war victory. If they would have joined, the North would have been defeated. When France and England remained neutral, the south embargoed cotton shipments, hoping to heavy hand their support, but it didn't work, so the south continued to be pummeled and eventually had to surrender.

So, slavery was AN issue, but not THE issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:46 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I don't want to debate the orgins as much as why a typical confederate soldier (who was not a slave owner) was fighting. According the one Johnny Reb when questioned by a Union Soldier on "Why you fighting us"? His answer was "cuz yer down here"?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't want to debate the orgins as much as why a typical confederate soldier (who was not a slave owner) was fighting. According the one Johnny Reb when questioned by a Union Soldier on "Why you fighting us"? His answer was "cuz yer down here"?
That answer makes perfect sense! Johnny Reb was defending his home and don't forget, the south seceeded from the north, so Mr. Reb was defending his country ... right? And the Union army was down there right?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:45 AM

463 posts, read 646,797 times
Uhhh slavery was the issue. "STATES RATS" (states rights) was simply a guise. The war was fought over the states right to have slavery, even if it supreceded federal authority. That is why the war was fought. Because the south was not satisfied with the federal government, and decided to work around it by trying to ceceed and form a confederacy. But make no mistake, the issue over states rights revolved pretty much 100% around the states right to decide whether or not they wanted to have slaves. Id suggest reading up on the politics of the time. ( i had too since this and politics was my major in school)

Old 12-24-2007, 01:27 PM

History was my major and slavery was an issue, not THE issue. I had to write papers on this topic. Oh well, that's what I get for having revisionist history professors. States RATS had not only to do with slavery, tariffs and, well, ok, the economics of slavery were also root causes. Lincoln made slavery a moral issue with the emancipation proclamation to keep the french and british out of the war. Worked like a chaaahhhm.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM

278 posts, read 910,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Lincoln made slavery a moral issue with the emancipation proclamation to keep the french and british out of the war. Worked like a chaaahhhm.
I think this is the first forum I've ever seen this issue discussed where anyone knew what the heck they were talking about. I applaud you!!! I sure wish the majority of the population in the USA would get it correct.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Uhhh slavery was the issue. "STATES RATS" (states rights) was simply a guise. The war was fought over the states right to have slavery, even if it supreceded federal authority. That is why the war was fought. Because the south was not satisfied with the federal government, and decided to work around it by trying to ceceed and form a confederacy. But make no mistake, the issue over states rights revolved pretty much 100% around the states right to decide whether or not they wanted to have slaves. Id suggest reading up on the politics of the time. ( i had too since this and politics was my major in school)
I simply have to disagree. It was clearly about States Rights with slavery being the main issue. However, the macro issue at hand was States Rights. End of story.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Lincoln made slavery a moral issue with the emancipation proclamation to keep the french and british out of the war. Worked like a chaaahhhm.
Somewhat digressing from the main topic - I don't totaly disagree, but the CSA from all I read, never really had a serious chance of getting the french and british into the war, emancipation proclamation or not. All the CSA attempt - diplomats in Paris and London, just didn't work.

Lincoln's intention of the emancipation proclamation may slightly have had that one intention, but it was also the implement the beginning of the end of the institution of slavery that divided the nation. And with that, it's important to note that Lincoln wasn't so much against slavery before the civil war as he was against the notion that it divided the nation into two political halves - slave states and free states. He was willing to live with slavery if it meant preserving the union, but after a year and a half of bloody civil war he knew that preserving the union meant getting rid of the institution of slavery. There is also some evidence I have read that indicates his personal feelings of slavery as a moral disgrace changed while in office, and he is quoted as saying freeing the slaves "was the will of God" (even though the proclamation itself only freed slaves in the south).

Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Quote:
That answer makes perfect sense! Johnny Reb was defending his home and don't forget, the south seceeded from the north, so Mr. Reb was defending his country ... right? And the Union army was down there right?
Right!...and some of us refer to that armed conflict as The War of Northern Aggression.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Rightfully so Mikey, ya'll got yer hineys kicked and I don't say that in jest. The south was decimated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History