Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 PM

130 posts, read 171,277 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I'm one of those weird people that likes to research a lot, and I had time on my hands, so I went and looked up my great uncles WWI service record...the Canadian govt. now has "service records" available for down load, free of charge (my great uncle ran away at age 17 to Canada from Middlebury Vt. to "join the war")...he was a member of the 205th Tiger battalion, in the Princess Pat.

Here's my question, but it comes in the form of a story.. I want to know WHERE this took place. (And yes, there is a web site run that keeps tabs on the 205th from WWI, but the emails are returned as no longer valid..)

My great uncle "joined up," did a training period in Canada and was shipped off to France. One night, the commander of the battalion wanted Brandy. So (I'm assuming some parts here)... who would one ask to complete this task? A top-shot? Or the "kid"? In war, I asume you give the youngest, weakest link the least important job...Well, "the kid" (my great uncle) got the task of trecking miles back from the line to the nearest village to retreive brandy...

When he returned, hours later, with brandy in-hand, the entire group had been gassed...mustard gassed.. With his friends dead, survivors (?) gone, my great uncle crept back into the woods, proceeded to drink all the brandy while deciding what to do, passed out, awaken and realised...he might be behind enemy lines. (Gulp) he kept moving until he met up with other troups later...

I would suspect this might be a tale of a partial desertion, but having checked his service record, it was honorable. Further, the web site mentioned above also clearly notes all the deserters...

So where did this take place?

Someone out there knows....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,353,219 times
April 22, 1915, the first German gas attack happened in Ypres, where I think the 205th Brigade was involved. Read it at: The Royal Regiment of Wales, South Wales Borders Museum: fact sheets. The Royal Regiment of Wales.
If you have his name, look at another site: "Nominal Roll of the 205th (Tiger) Battalion, CEF". As for the liberties taken in storytelling, sending someone out for booze is completely believable. Remember, these are the same rules of war that had soldiers wearing red and facing rows of opposing guns in an open field, with honor. Besides, in WWI, Brandy was a prize, and the appropriate thing with which to toast "The Gracious God".

Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,512,929 times
Hello,

That would be my website you are referring to. I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier, but I find it a very interesting story, and yes, it is quite plausible. You state that you have his service records, but I think you mean the attestation papers that have been digitized by the Library and Archives of Canada; his entire service record (which includes a sheet that records his movements from unit to unit, hospitals, etc.) still has to be ordered for a fee from the Archives.

Interestingly enough, I do recall reading something about your great uncle; he would have been one of the last men to join the 205th, which was never recruited up to full strength. The fact that he came all the way from the US was noted in the local newspaper.

As for where the incident took place, that would require knowing was company he was assigned to, when he joined and left (if prior to war's end) the PPCLI. There are several people out there who specialize in the PPCLI, and you could try contacting them via the CEF Research forum or the Great War Forum.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,479 times
Default 205th tiger battalion

Hello, im trying to get some info on my grandfather who was in the 205th tiger battalion in ww1, i know that he was in action in France, but my farther does not know much of what he went through as he never spoke of what he had seen in the battles he was in. His name was Fredrick James Youlton and he was born in Guernsey Channel Islands. Any help in finding info would great news, Thank you. Nick Youlton

Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 8,411 times
This was copied from a letter my Great Aunt Celeste O'Donnell wrote her sister in Feburary 1919 - Rosalie O'Donnell was with the Red Cross stationed in Berne Switzerland in order to help the newly released American prisoners of war:

As Gene said the other night – how will you all come back to the four walls of a flat … no entertainments and tea parties in your rooms very ala unconventional, no meetings of noted people (such like the wives of novelists), the recipients of Cross de Guerre (think I'd like the Lieut.) - maybe the reason he would not tell you all why he received it was for the same reason that the Princess Pat man (one of the thirteen original survivors of that famous regiment) gave to the Delanys the night they entertained him at dinner, when explaining how he came to get it: he said “you see the French General who was reviewing us was giving out cigars but when it came my turn, they were all gone and fearing to disappoint me he just pulled the cross out of his pocket and pinned it on me”. Modesty personified, eh!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,308 times
I have some pictures that my grandfather took while in the war. Some of them apply to the 205th. None of the pictures are well-identified (i.e., no names) but if anyone is interested, please contact me at [email]kdgrobsky@cox.net[/email]. I will forward whatever images I can.

Kevin

Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,512,929 times
It has been some time since I posted here. I'm still interested in information about the 205th Battalion, and am willing to assist as best I can (after all these years the information that I have compiled is far from complete, unfortunately).

Recently, however, the Library and Archives of Canada announced that they will be digitizing all existing service files for members of the CEF, which they hope to have completed some time in 1915. So anyone researching a member of the 205th (or anyone else who served with the CEF) will soon be able to download the file for free.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,661 times
I just found that my grant father signed up for the 205th as well. Found one picture of the group but can't figure out if he is on it. His name was William Frank Monkhouse I never got to meet him because he passed away when grandfather was very young.

I am very interested now. Thanks for all the information that has been posted.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times
I would register and ask here as it is strong in terms of WW1 genealogy research Great War Forum

Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,661 times
Thanks Felix C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History