Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,883 times

Advertisements

Anybody hear about the last Algonquin that lived in NYC?
Can anyone confirm if this was a true story? Some in the media were
refuting this story.

The Last Algonquin

The Home of The Last Algonquin - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 01:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Anybody hear about the last Algonquin that lived in NYC?
Can anyone confirm if this was a true story? Some in the media were
refuting this story.

The Last Algonquin

The Home of The Last Algonquin - YouTube
No idea about HIS story, but there are Algonquin tribes that are alive and well, so I have an issue with the title. I descend from the Patawomeck tribe (not a member, I'm way too far removed). They are Algonquin, had been part of the Powhattan confederacy.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 PM

322 posts, read 707,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Appalachian Gumbo. You might like this story. When I was a little girl my father used to tell me I was a direct descendant of a famous Indian Princess, Princess Pushmataha which means Dancing Rabbit.. Every little girl wants to be related to a beautiful princess so I carried this story far and wide and actually for manyyears.

One day my father came home from a golf game and called me down to him.

"A guy on the golf course today was asking me about my Indian heritage and told me his daughter said you told all your friends you were descended from a famous Indian Princess. I've never been so embarrassed in all my life. So you need to get this story straight. First of all there is no royalty in any Indian tribe and second Pushmataha was a word I made up and 3rd Dancing Rabbit was the name of my high school year book in McAlester, Oklahoma and 4th I never dreamed you believed all that malarky I told you."

I was crushed! But when you've grown up being told you were descended from a famous and beautiful Indian Princess it is hard to accept any different way of thinking. So here I sit a proud 68 year old Indian Princess till the end. Thinking about having that engraved on my tombstone.

thank you for sharing your story. That was very sweet.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post

See this guy, Iron Eyes Cody? He fooled people for years and people believed he was a FBI (fullblooded Indian), he was FBI but fullblooded Italian of the Sicilian kind. He came right out of central casting.
he's was an Indian at heart, they use to use so many fake Indians in the movies

Billy Jack = fake Indian [Tom Laughlin]

Burt Lancaster = fake Indian [Geronimo]

Jeff Chandler = fake indian

Charles Bronson = Chato's Land fake Indian

Robert Blake = fake Indian "Tell them Willie Boy is here"

Sylvester Stallone = fake indian of German & native american decent "Rambo"

Woody Strode = fake Indian [he was a black man that portrayed an Apache Indian]

also all the Indian princess in the movies were always white ladies with brown make up to try and look like an Indian

Old 08-07-2014, 11:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
In "Ishi, the Last Stone Age Man," it states that he died of TB, and that the films made of him making arrows, fires, and other skills were melted in a fire.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Appalachian Gumbo. You might like this story. When I was a little girl my father used to tell me I was a direct descendant of a famous Indian Princess, Princess Pushmataha which means Dancing Rabbit.. Every little girl wants to be related to a beautiful princess so I carried this story far and wide and actually for manyyears.

One day my father came home from a golf game and called me down to him.

"A guy on the golf course today was asking me about my Indian heritage and told me his daughter said you told all your friends you were descended from a famous Indian Princess. I've never been so embarrassed in all my life. So you need to get this story straight. First of all there is no royalty in any Indian tribe and second Pushmataha was a word I made up and 3rd Dancing Rabbit was the name of my high school year book in McAlester, Oklahoma and 4th I never dreamed you believed all that malarky I told you."

I was crushed! But when you've grown up being told you were descended from a famous and beautiful Indian Princess it is hard to accept any different way of thinking. So here I sit a proud 68 year old Indian Princess till the end. Thinking about having that engraved on my tombstone.

This made my day, thank you for sharing this funny story. I emigrated from Europe but must have some perceived Native American features. I have been asked numerous times the membership of my trip. My answer is now Europache.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Have you taken a DNA test? You might be more Native American than you think. (Or sometimes less)

Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
... and told me his daughter said you told all your friends you were descended from a famous Indian Princess. I've never been so embarrassed in all my life. So you need to get this story straight. First of all there is no royalty in any Indian tribe and second Pushmataha was a word I made up and 3rd Dancing Rabbit was the name of my high school year book in McAlester, Oklahoma and 4th I never dreamed you believed all that malarky I told you."
Pushmataha was the name of a significant pre-Removal Choctaw chief.

The Choctaw agreed to be Removed to what is now Oklahoma by signing the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek.

By the way, Oklahoma is a Choctaw word. It means "Red People" or "Red Nation." It can be nuanced into meaning "Angry People/Nation."

It is true that there was no royalty in any Indian tribe. There are "Princesses" now, at least among the Mississippi, Oklachahta and Oklahoma Choctaw, but they are honorary and short-term titles.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (Mississippi Choctaw)

Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Pushmataha was the name of a significant pre-Removal Choctaw chief.

The Choctaw agreed to be Removed to what is now Oklahoma by signing the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek.

By the way, Oklahoma is a Choctaw word. It means "Red People" or "Red Nation." It can be nuanced into meaning "Angry People/Nation."

It is true that there was no royalty in any Indian tribe. There are "Princesses" now, at least among the Mississippi, Oklachahta and Oklahoma Choctaw, but they are honorary and short-term titles.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (Mississippi Choctaw)
Thank you so much for this information. I'm proud of my Choctaw heritage and love to get the background on these words. So can I still be an Indian Princess? Please????

Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
I'm sorry; I'm having a lot of trouble with the title of this thread -- The Last American Indian Tribes.

The last time I checked there were 566 current American Indian tribes that are federally-recognized, and many more that are not (yet) recognized. "Last" indeed!!!

I also agree with TXNGL; I know several folks from Algonquin nations who would take extreme issue with the whole "Last Algonquin" thingy. In fact, a surprising number of the previously-mentioned recognized tribes are Algonquin nations, or are descended from/related to one or more Algonquin nations. Examples include Apache, Cheyenne, Arapahoe, Shawnee, Chippewa/Ojibwe/Anishinabe (different names, same people) and others.

There! I feel so much better now!

-- Nighteyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History