Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Worse still is that a large number cannot even make change.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:51 AM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
Worse still is that many teens I deal with can't write cursive.....meaning they are essentially functionally illiterate when it comes to writing overall.

1. Can't spell--spell check doesn't cover everything
2. Can't construct a coherent paragraph.
3. Can't punctuate
4. Poor grammar

I would never hire anyone who can't write.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:11 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
I remember on Jay Leno one night on the Tonight Show. Doing Jaywalking down the sidewalk with a micophone asking questions to high school age kids. Some didnt know what year the War of 1812 was. Most said it was recently. Thats sad.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
I am an old guy, and not a bit upset or self conscious about it, in fact, like to joke about it and put people on, young people in particular. I sometimes tell them that "I have been here since Lewis & Clark crossed the Rockies." Most of the time I get a blank or puzzled look back, the person spoken to having no idea what I just said or when it happened. Now most of those on this forum likely know, but of adults in the general population, how many could give the correct answer, 1 out of 5, 1 out of 10, 20, or ??

Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
The young people aren't going to "know" much of anything. You do understand they are the so-called, "smart phone" generation, so they have no motivation to actually know about history, they are just going to say, hold on let me look that up. This will be true with most everything, except things you use on a daily or maybe weekly basis. History memorization is.... wait for it.... history! Sorry, I couldn't resist, but we all know it is true. So, is it embarrassing? The young people are just a product of their environment, so are older people just not understanding what young people ARE going to be like? There will be way less face to face socializing and way less talking in the next 10 years. Gone are the days of going out dancing or enjoying face to face company. All these things us older folks will just have to get used to. Ask a kid a question, that isn't in their daily use and they will look it up. I believe people will just rely more and more on devices and people will become dumber. I think it is already happening, but does it matter? Doctors don't need to KNOW what they are doing with every patient, because they can refer to the protocol for the symptom. That being said, anyone can be a doctor. Is this the future? I think it is coming very fast.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Yes and now some of the public school want to get rid of cursive writing classes , why ? I think some of the schools should emphasize the basics , penmanship , reading , writing and math ... the japaneese are surpassing us in education and that is sad ...the dumbing down of America and it is not getting any better I fear for the next generation .

Old 11-08-2014, 10:04 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
The only important question in that video is who the VP is.

Edit: to those yapping on about cursive

How is that important at all?

Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
The only important question in that video is who the VP is.

Edit: to those yapping on about cursive

How is that important at all?
Because otherwise you are going to have illiterate, ignorant, dumb and easily manipulable people?
Don't you think that having such kind of people with the right to vote in the most powerful country on Earth is somehow dangerous?

Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes and now some of the public school want to get rid of cursive writing classes , why ? I think some of the schools should emphasize the basics , penmanship , reading , writing and math ... the japaneese are surpassing us in education and that is sad ...the dumbing down of America and it is not getting any better I fear for the next generation .
Cursive writing was taught to me in the 4th grade, and we were required, across the board, to use it, and INK writing utensils, forall our writing assignments. Cursive used to be a required skill. Kids, also, used to read for entertainment. I remember looking forward to our once a week trips to the school library and the book fairs at school.

Does anyone remember "Weekly Reader"? The program where kids could order books of ftheir choice from many genres , authors and themes? Or actually having reading as a subject? I had an English teacher in high school who was an advocate of creative writing. She often gave out assignments for us to write short stories, poetry and such. We were free to pick our themes,characters and plots. Kids these days? Actually be imaginative enough, or have a good enough command of language to write an original story?? Let alone enjoy doing so.

We have lmost much, as a culture and as a nation. That Japan surpasses us hardly shocks me, as I have spent time there. The Japanese take great pride in their linguistic and creative skills. To be scholarly is highly desirable and encouraged, whilst among American youth, such pursuits are considered "lame". Meaning contemptable and worthless, especially as compared to athletics. (Sigh)

Old 11-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think everyone can get into a Japanese college or university.

Could we be wrong in sending even the most ignorant of high schoolers to college? Maybe we should get back to the idea of difficult entrance exams for colleges, and trade schools for the rest - like Germany does. If they don't pass the tests at first, they could study hard and take them again later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History