U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times

Advertisements

There was Ford, Flagler, Flick, Vanderbilt, JP Morgan, Mellon, Rockefeller, Carnegie, and others of the latter half of the 1800's, early 1900's. Which would you rate as the more honorable, the most devilish?

I've been reading bio's, lately, of some of these Titans, and currently reading Ron Chernow's bio of John D. Rockefeller, and, without question, he was a combination of saint and sinner, but unable to assign a percentage to either.

I also read a bio of Henry Ford and I consider him to be one of the more honorable ones.

I also read a bio of Andrew Mellon, and IMO, he was one of the more devilish titans.

How about you? Their philanthropic endeavors can certainly throw you off, in judging these people, overall, like Rockefeller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 11:25 PM

17,855 posts, read 54,146,150 times
They were all complex individuals. Ford was a raving anti-semite, you forgot to mention his pal Edison who was a patent fiend, or Alexander Graham Bell who stole a patent application for the phone and ran with it. Carnegie was a b*stard but his bequeaths of libraries did more for this country than the feats of most Presidents. The legacy of the Rockefellers is with us now and will be in the future. His "philanthropy" was often a cover for other operations. Flagler was a little more honorable, I would guess.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,748,503 times
One who is not usually associated with being a Robber Baron, but who was indeed a Titan of that era and of an industry whom I'd give highest marks to is George Eastman (Eastman Kodak fame)
George Eastman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2014, 06:39 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,911,598 times
I like Cornelius Vanderbilt. He got started illegally, offering ferry service between NY and NJ and NY tried to stop him because he was undercharging the other ferries. He used to jump between boats to evade the cops. His case went to the Supreme Court eventually and he won. NY was trying to regulate interstate commerce, which is a federal prerogative.

I also admire John D. Rockefeller. When he took over another oil company, the existing management was usually asked to stay on. The price of oil went down every year he ran Standard Oil.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 PM

I've never read a bio of a Titan that had me more on a seesaw than John D. Rockefeller! One chapter I'm hailing him as a saint, next chapter, or paragraph, I'm denouncing him as the devil incarnate, like after reading about the Ludlow Massacre in Colorado!

One of the most mysterious men I've ever read about!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 PM

2,774 posts, read 3,071,323 times
John D. Rockefeller was the best of that class of men. Even before he made his fortune when he was a kid, he kept a ledger of all his earnings and expenses, and would give 10% to charity. He would always say god gave him his money and he felt an obligation to give back to society. He greatly improved the efficiency of the oil business and expanded Standard Oil to global proportions. He was the richest man in the country yet did not want the fanciest house to live in like the Vanderbilt's, whom liked to show off their money. His business of making oil cheaper for the masses was beneficial to society at that time, before Standard Oil people were using whale oil for lamps.

Standard Oil and Carnegie Steel were at the top of the pyramid IMO, and not parasitic like the banking and transportation industries below them. The railroads could squeeze whatever they wanted out of passenger/freight service and people just had to suck it up. Rockefeller and Carnegie were providing the raw materials and the inventors provided the technology, such as Edison, Tesla and Bell and Henry Ford, to build a modern America.

The ones I have less respect for like JP Morgan, whom used to courts to steal other peoples inventions and patents, and used the railroads to extort, like Jay Gould whom started an international incident with Canada when he kidnapped a dude whom fled there when Gould tried to sue him. Gould, whom was chummy with Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall, is quoted as saying "I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half". Henry Clay Frick was a real POS, most responsible for the Johnstown Flood and responsible for shooting down striking steel workers at the Homestead Steel Works. Woolworth was so cheap he never left a five or dime to any charity in his will, and gave it all to his family, whom seemed to be cursed by the money he left them.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 PM

At least, with reading my bio of Andrew Mellon, there was no seesaw with that book. All the Mellon brothers were brainwashed by their father Thomas, he even had a private school built on his property, to "properly educate" his boys as he saw fit! Most of the courses offered at this school revolved around how to make money and more money! Like his father, he had no use for philanthropy, notwithstanding the National Gallery in Washington DC.

But most of his money was passed on to his 2 children. His recurring dream was for his son to take over his businesses, but his son was never interested!

Rockefeller, on the other hand, struck out with his only son, who took to the role like a duck to water!

Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 414 times
Default Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.

Excellent question.

Having just read Ron Cherow's "Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.", John D. Rockefeller had a ruthless reputation. Yet, he gave generously becoming one of the largest philanthropists in American history:

Here is a quote from Chernow:
“John D. Rockefeller, Sr., had established himself as the greatest lay benefactor of medicine in history. Of the $530 million he gave away during his lifetime, $450 million went directly or indirectly into medicine. He had dealt a mortal blow to the primitive world of nineteenth-century medicine in which patent-medicine vendors such as Doc Rockefeller had flourished. He had also effected a revolution in philanthropy perhaps no less far-reaching than his business innovations. Before Rockefeller came along, rich benefactors had tended to promote pet institutions (symphony orchestras, art museums, or schools) or to bequeath buildings (hospitals, dormitories, orphanages) that bore their names and attested to their magnanimity. Rockefeller’s philanthropy was more oriented toward the creation of knowledge, and if it seemed more impersonal, it was also far more pervasive in its effect.”

Last edited by CurtAndersonNY; 11-08-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,380,853 times
Don’t think there was much honor amongst the Robber Barons. Good guys always finish last or so they say.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:07 PM

40,904 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Honore de Balzac noted that "Behind every great fortune, there is a crime."

If we accept that as true, none of the Robber Barons is free of guilt. It perhaps was that guilt which moved some of them to become philanthropists. Most of us are mixes of good and bad, kind one day, selfish another. We rely on whatever good things we do to ameliorate the less than honorable behavior in other areas. As such, the late 19th Century industrialists were us, but us on an immense scale, their cruelties were larger than anything we have done, but their charity also dwarfs anything we have contributed.

Great scale charity can only come from great scale wealth. Great scale wealth cannot be obtained by being charitable all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or