Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM

55 posts, read 53,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
the op doesn't even appear to recognize the difference between a limited war, where one side institutes military action with a specific goal in mind (the two gulf wars and the falkland islands action are good examples), and a total war, in which one or both of the two belligerents are determined to totally defeat and subjugate the opposition.

The american civil war was a total war; the nation could not survive part-slave and part free (or likely, part agrarian and part-industrial). The napoleanic wars were another example, and culminated with an agreement whereby the european power could maintain their status for 100 years, while the pressures for parliamentary democracy grew -- sometimes accommodated and sometimes subjugated.

But the competition among those powers eventually led to world war i, with the more-open societies like britain and france opposing (for the most part) more restrictive societies like the germany created by bismarck and the kaisers. When the more-democratic americans were drawn into the. That tipped the scales, and germany had to "sue for peace".

But the primary cause of the conflict remained unsolved, and a vindictive attitude by some of the allies didn't help. So "act ii" unfolded twenty years later, and to win it, the true western democracies had to ally with one of the totalitarian states (do i have to tell anyone that it was stalin's russia?) war in which the good guys eventually triumphed. But there were any number of limited conflicts like korea, vietnam, and lesser actions like grenada and panama, in the process.

i'll be looking forward to a response from the op.
ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 04:53 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingInTheShower View Post
Is that the way the Germans and the Japanese would tell it as well is what I'm asking.
Dude are you serious? How do you not know this?

We dropped two atomic bombs on Japan and then they surrendered. That's how the pacific theatre came to a close.

We hunted down Hitler and cornered him in a bunker, and he then killed himself and his wife. We (the Allied powers) destroyed the Axis powers and won.

World War I was the one that didn't come to a definitive close. The Flu epidemic was wrecking havoc on both sides and they just stopped fighting, Germany got screwed over in the Treaty of Versailles, which then allowed Hitler to rise to power the way he did.

Last edited by tofur; 01-03-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 05:04 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. From everything I'm reading it appears as though it was the Russians and their allies who actually won the war. America mainly provided support, but the Russians and various African countries were the hardest hitters. Lol, true to American and West European form, constantly patting themselves on the back, even when it's unwarranted.

America provided support.

African countries were the hardest hitters.

A note, the allies of the USSR were....................the US, England, France plus a few others.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. From everything I'm reading it appears as though it was the Russians and their allies who actually won the war. America mainly provided support, but the Russians and various African countries were the hardest hitters. Lol, true to American and West European form, constantly patting themselves on the back, even when it's unwarranted.
Pretty sure the U.S cleaned up shop in the Pacific Theatre, which is where some of the most brutal battles of the War took place. The U.S dropped two atomic bombs on Japanese cities and their M1 Garand rifle was head and shoulders above the Axis powers battle rifles. I think they hit pretty hard.

You have at least a decade of intense study in front of you before you can even think about writing a book.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Pretty sure the U.S cleaned up shop in the Pacific Theatre, which is where some of the most brutal battles of the War took place. The U.S dropped two atomic bombs on Japanese cities and their M1 Garand rifle was head and shoulders above the Axis powers battle rifles. I think they hit pretty hard.

You have at least a decade of intense study in front of you before you can even think about writing a book.
Lol, a decade? I'll be in my thirties by then. There's no way in the world I'm taking 10 years to write an e-book.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:59 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Based on the rest of your post, I am sure you have no idea about the hundreds of thousands of trucks, jeeps, tanks, planes, locomotives, flat cars,etc. that were supplied to the Russians by the US and carried to Russia on US ships, to say nothing of the hundreds of thousands of pounds of foodstuffs that the US supplied to Russia, which does not includes the tens of thousands of planes, trucks, tanks, anti tank guns and other pieces of military equipment that Great Britain supplied the Russian war machine with. Your lack of knowledge is nothing to brag about.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Based on the rest of your post, I am sure you have no idea about the hundreds of thousands of trucks, jeeps, tanks, planes, locomotives, flat cars,etc. that were supplied to the Russians by the US and carried to Russia on US ships, to say nothing of the hundreds of thousands of pounds of foodstuffs that the US supplied to Russia, which does not includes the tens of thousands of planes, trucks, tanks, anti tank guns and other pieces of military equipment that Great Britain supplied the Russian war machine with. Your lack of knowledge is nothing to brag about.
Right, America provided support. That's what I said.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:50 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
African Countries??? Which ones?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:04 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
There are a couple of "what if" threads at this forum about what might have happened if the shifting of alliances in the months before hostilities commenced (and remember, they commenced at different times in different theaters) had turned out differently; my personal favorite is what could have happened had Hitler NOT declared war on the United States on December 9, 1941. The U. S. Congress voted for war against Japan, but would not have done so vs, Germany and Italy due to isolationist opposition, which was still strong at the time.

At any rate, I hope (s)he (we never established gender, and our apologies) will do so.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-03-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
"Who dictated who the victor was?"

That naïve question boggles my mind. The battlefield results dictated who the victor was! Both Japan and Germany lay in ruins, their people beginning to starve. In Germany's case, large portions of the nation had already been overrun by their enemies - the Russians from the east and the Anglo-Americans (with Canadian, French, and other participation) from the west.

In Japan's case, the homeland had not yet been invaded, but all the major cities had been devastated by bombing (not just the two cities hit by the two atomic bombs). American aircraft carriers ranged at will close to the Japanese home islands, the Japanese Navy having been destroyed as an effective fighting force.

How can anyone act like declaring winners and losers was at all arbitrary? Even if no formal peace treaty/surrender documents had been signed, the results had been for some time decisively and clearly decided on the battlefields of both conflicts. What is rather amazing in retrospect is how long both Germany and Japan managed to hold out, offering some resistance in the face of the inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History