Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I think I read somewhere that 1965 was the start of America's crime wave. That was the start of the hippie movement and crime started to go up with the breakdown in society connected with drugs, rock music and a lack of respect for authority. It has been downhill since then.

My parents said that before that year life was more peaceful, the crime rate was very low, families were stronger, illegal drug use was limited and kids behaved in school.

Historians: was 1965 the start of the downward spiral in American society?
right wing baby boomer propaganda!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
45-65 may have been great for white people in Springfield Illinois.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
They got to be a problem about 10,000 years ago when the first humans crossed the Bering Strait. Since then, we've had slavery, murder, human sacrifice, torture, rape, theft, etc.

It changed but was still a problem after 1492.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
They got to be a problem about 10,000 years ago when the first humans crossed the Bering Strait. Since then, we've had slavery, murder, human sacrifice, torture, rape, theft, etc.

It changed but was still a problem after 1492.
That stupid land bridge caused the downfall of society I tell ya!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I believe the common belief of people that lived in the 50's that people are more aggressive now is true. I also believe that they also felt safer then and am not willing to put this off as misinformation. i know that I don't need any news report to tell me what areas to avoid when i see it. It reminds me of people saying that you should not judge people by their appearance. But if I am walking in the woods and see a animal that loks like a wolf;has teeth like a wolf I will avoid it. Same goes for someone who looks like a gang member by their dress. We profile everyday in reality. Does anyone believe our schools are just as safe now. Schools are just a look at our society IMO.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
I believe the crime rate increased when they outlawed cruising. The police could oversee all the kids in one area basically. When they banned cruising, all the kids went off in different areas, some good some with gangs and violence others would vandalise having nothing else to do

Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Pick any era which you designate "the good old days", travel back to it and you know what you would find? A bunch of people complaining about how things had really gone downhill since the "good old days."

Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
When it started paying as much to not work as to hold a minimum wage job.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
I think I read somewhere that 1965 was the start of America's crime wave. That was the start of the hippie movement and crime started to go up with the breakdown in society connected with drugs, rock music and a lack of respect for authority. It has been downhill since then.

My parents said that before that year life was more peaceful, the crime rate was very low, families were stronger, illegal drug use was limited and kids behaved in school.

Short answer? July 5, 1776.

The human condition hasn't changed and neither have Americans. It didn't start in the 60's or even the 20th century.

I don't know what history books y'all have been reading, but the "good ol' days" when people were pure and honest never existed.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:

The thing I would argue with your parents about it the "downhill since then" statement. All of the issues you highlighted certainly started to increase in the mid-60's, but then they peeked around 1990-95 and have been declining ever since.

Here are the actual curves from the BJS:

You may find some of the threads discussing Strauss and Howe's Generational Theories to be very interesting. Essentially what your parents have observed and pointed out to you are part of larger generational cycles. Seeing where you are in that mix and its context against past events helps to understand some of these macro societal trends:

Strauss and Howe Generational Theory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History