U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:06 PM

238 posts, read 560,777 times

Advertisements

I also believe that the victors of a war is who writes the history. "Civil War" history is the perfect example of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,475,795 times
Originally Posted by southernjewishgal
Quote:
Comparing what America did with the internment camps to Nazi Germany? Those are two very different issues and there is absolutely no comparison in what these people went through. I just find that statement laughable.
If I'm not mistaken the Nazis got their idea for internment camps from how you Americans implemented the idea of the Indian Reservations. They only perfected it.
I see no difference anywayz, or are you suggesting that an Indian Reservation does not resemble an internment camp?
And I never implied to compare the suffering of people only the method the Nazis and the Americans used for their internment camps.
Logistically speaking there is no difference.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 4,783,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
If I'm not mistaken the Nazis got their idea for internment camps from how you Americans implemented the idea of the Indian Reservations. They only perfected it.
I see no difference anywayz, or are you suggesting that an Indian Reservation does not resemble an internment camp?
And I never implied to compare the suffering of people only the method the Nazis and the Americans used for their internment camps.
You have to be fricking kinding me..
Every problem in the world is America's fault???

Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cali BassMan
Quote:
Every problem in the world is America's fault???
Nope, I only claim that comparing an Indian Reservation with a concentration camp isn't as laughable as southernjewishgal mentioned. I did not compare it qua suffering, only qua method.
I'm sure the Nazis observed the 'Jewish problem' from as many angles as they could, since that is the 'clean' scientific approach to any problem.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM

5,103 posts, read 4,534,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
To be a bit more historically accurate the British invented the Concentration camp as it is known in the 20th century. Do some research on the Boer War try to find something the Brits did not write....The reservation system in the US while terrible flawed was not designed from the outset as a method of exterminateing those interned....

Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 PM

77 posts, read 76,611 times
It appears as if the statement 'Who writes history?' is not applicable anymore, especially when writing about the far past. History as presented about the far past should usually be prefaced with, 'It is thought.' These days it is the camera that 'Portrays History'. After that, those who view what the camera(s) portray, think their own picture of events. If the history being written is about new thoughts or other non material events, then it is usually the person whose ideas are being mentioned, who presents the evidence of when, and the why of new inventions begotten from the ideas, or perhaps new leads to more new thoughts. To me, this makes the statement of 'Who writes history?' obsolete. History is not only of warfare and carnage, but of coming together and new ideas and sensibilites. Women's Liberation made the statement that the word History,was insulting and that it should have been Herstory, but that is a different story.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by my54ford
Quote:
The reservation system in the US while terrible flawed was not designed from the outset as a method of exterminateing those interned....
True, but didn't the prosecution of the Native Americans started before the Boer War?
And again my point was not why the internment camps were used ( to exterminate people or not) but how, simply to avoid 'logistical' problems.
I mean to me, the gathering of large groups of people to specific places and keeping the fact secret that they are about to meet their final doom there seems to be a bigger problem to solve, than how to exterminate them publicly.
And I'm sure the Nazis looked at the Boer War too.
They were simply willing to learn from everyone.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 AM

13,014 posts, read 24,172,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaefell View Post
It appears as if the statement 'Who writes history?' is not applicable anymore, especially when writing about the far past.
I agree .....as i believe the History Moderator ought to close this thread as these discussions have nothing to do with the OP question. I wanted to discuss the ancient historians like the Roman Historian Josephus and his writings of the Romans and Jerusalem back in the times of christ as an example.

I may send a personal message to the best moderator ''Scirocco'' at closing this thread if the History Moderator wont interviene.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 AM

Well if people discard historical facts simply because they don't like them, should historians than keep in mind of what the general public does or does not like?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM

5,601 posts, read 12,545,451 times
Note until regular moderator returns:

I realize that a forum devoted to the discussion of history will inherently be fraught with political discussions, philosophies and disagreements, but most of the discussion in this thread seems to be devoted to topics other than what the OP intended.

Although some interesting debates are taking place in this thread, it's drifted somewhat away from the initial topic.

Please feel free to open another thread in possibly another forum for some of these interesting but yet off-topic side discussions that have taken place in this thread.

Let's get back on topic, thanks. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History