Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Equal Justice Initiative Marker/Memorial Project

It's time to face up to what was done in the past, not bury it.
That sounds like a good idea. We shouldn't let those victims and those horrific crimes be forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Interesting topic..
Problem I see, is that individual lynchings were different. Different players, different victims. All lynching victims may have been ultimately shortchanged due process.. but that doesn't mean every lynching target was an angel, worthy of memorializing. Often they were ppl accused, and held, and sometimes already convicted, on the most serious charges.

It's modern cultural-Marxist propaganda, that all lynchings were framed by the same racial & circumstantial elements. We don't know their potential guilt (or potential innocence) bcuz it often wasn't adjudicated before they were executed. But to memorialize a potential criminal, bcuz he/she was denied full justice, seems a holistically unworthy cause.. and it would lay aside objective scrutiny of each individual lynching (?)

I mean if Ted Bundy had been lynched by an outraged mob after he killed a woman, would he be worthy of memorializing, solely bcuz he suffered a miscarriage of due process..?

Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
You can't be serious. Do you honestly believe that the convicted received fair trials? They were convicted before the first word of testimony was even spoken.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Interesting topic..
Problem I see, is that individual lynchings were different. Different players, different victims. All lynching victims may have been ultimately shortchanged due process.. but that doesn't mean every lynching target was an angel, worthy of memorializing. Often they were ppl accused, and held, and sometimes already convicted, on the most serious charges.

It's modern cultural-Marxist propaganda, that all lynchings were framed by the same racial & circumstantial elements. We don't know their potential guilt (or potential innocence) bcuz it often wasn't adjudicated before they were executed. But to memorialize a potential criminal, bcuz he/she was denied full justice, seems a holistically unworthy cause.. and it would lay aside objective scrutiny of each individual lynching (?)

I mean if Ted Bundy had been lynched by an outraged mob after he killed a woman, would he be worthy of memorializing, solely bcuz he suffered a miscarriage of due process..?
To quote John Adams, second POTUS, the US is "a nation of laws, not of men".

Vigilante justice is illegal in this country, and immoral by Judeo-Christian doctrine ("justice is mine," sayeth the Lord), whether the victim of it is innocent or guilty of the alleged "crime". Your attempt to defend lynching is simply a feeble right-wing rationalization of the indefensible.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Our local city does a memorial to traffic fatalities and so one sees many markers by the road side. I think it would be dismal if we made a marker for every occasion where a person or persons was wronged by the system.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Our local city does a memorial to traffic fatalities and so one sees many markers by the road side. I think it would be dismal if we made a marker for every occasion where a person or persons was wronged by the system.
I don't think that's what the group in my original post was proposing, but more to the point, lynching was a particularly violent and heinous crime that was not carried out by "the system" but by mobs bent on terrorizing people, not just the victims themselves but other people like them. That was the purpose of lynching. Often representatives of "the system" were complicit with lynching, but the system itself was not.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM

I think life is inherently unfair and with the controls of civilization do we attempt to maintain a degree of fairness. A local breakage in civil order does not warrant a memorial. I am from Miami and recall 18 people were murdered in the 1980 riots. These were both whites and blacks and really no one cares. I do not dispute people tended to savagery in the past due to harsh living conditions and lack of education but do not see how that can be an excuse now in our very modern late 20th/early 21th century USA. They deserve a memorial in the very neighborhood they were killed to remind the local populace of their misdeeds.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-12-2015 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Interesting topic..

Wow, just wow.

Lynching was a terror tactic used by white supremacists, primarily in the South, to limit the political authority of blacks and white Republicans. The overwhelming majority of lynchings had nothing to do with any crime on the part of the victim--they had to do with the political aims of the killers.

Talk about blaming the victim and ignorance of history.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM

B_R's Bundy comment reminds me of an episode which occurred in the early 18th century. New army recruits were being drilled in front of the public at the town square to include a volley discharge with blank cartridges at the crowd. Regrettably one of the recruits left his ramrod in the barrel of his musket and fired it into the crowd killing a spectator.

Fortunately, the spectator was the local brigand "taking the day off"[quoted from the book] and so the crowd was rather please with the results and impressed with the working of Divine Intervention.

Unless someone knew the fellow killed was a criminal one would think it was a tragedy with an innocent killed but that nugget of information has been passed down to modern readership. And so with lynchings unless one has details on the events. I recall a photo I have seen of neck-tie party "one rope, two ends" with reputed rustlers strung up in 1880 Wyoming or so. Do not know the back story and so cannot state they were innocent.

One must have passion for history and research but also temper their emotions with logic.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-12-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think life is inherently unfair and with the controls of civilization do we attempt to maintain a degree of fairness. A local breakage in civil order does not warrant a memorial. I am from Miami and recall 18 people were murdered in the 1980 riots. These were both whites and blacks and really no one cares. I do not dispute people tended to savagery in the past due to harsh living conditions and lack of education but do not see how that can be an excuse now in our very modern late 20th/early 21th century USA. They deserve a memorial in the very neighborhood they were killed to remind the local populace of their misdeeds.
That you don't care does not mean that others don't or that there should not be a memorial or marker to remember them. You do not represent everybody in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History