U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,804,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If you don't know then you have to go back to your basic high school civics class.
LOL!

Talk Radio is low-brow entertainment, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:11 PM

1,907 posts, read 1,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL!

Talk Radio is low-brow entertainment, nothing more.
Maybe; but some are very educational. The local shows are very informative and there was a guy out of Fla. I think, can't remember his name now. Maybe Bruce)?? But he gave very good financial advice to people who called in. He'd made millions from just using common sense, hard work and education.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:54 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,804,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Maybe; but some are very educational. The local shows are very informative and there was a guy out of Fla. I think, can't remember his name now. Maybe Bruce)?? But he gave very good financial advice to people who called in. He'd made millions from just using common sense, hard work and education.
Well sure. There used to be a local guy here who did a 2 hour show and while he seemed to lean right, was pretty much focused on pragmatism and common sense.

I would not say the same about Michael Savage. I find him so over the top that I cannot believe much of it is not an act. Very comical stuff.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:09 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
All I remember hearing was...

Host: "Hi, welcome to the program..."

Caller: "Hello?"

Host: "Yes, go ahead.."

Caller: "Uh, am I on the air?"

Host: "Yes, you're on the air."

Caller: "Hi"

Host: "Sir, can you please turn your radio down.."

Caller: "Oh, okay"

Host: "Go ahead, sir"

Caller: "Is that better?"

Host: "Yes, go ahead.."

Caller: "Hi, how are you today?"

Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM

2,180 posts, read 1,203,128 times
less pompous narcissistic asses, maybe??

Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 PM

7,456 posts, read 5,443,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Calmer, more sane and less emotional. Where the caller could pick a topic and express their views without being interrupted and talked over. Less one sided.
Yep.

And facts were actually used, instead of hysteria and one-sided nonsense.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:40 PM

11,564 posts, read 17,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
Ummm....this is the HISTORY FORUM. I think you took a wrong turn somewhere in CityData.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-25-2015 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted as being too political.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,163,830 times
It was talk radio, not shout radio. You could actually call up and have a pleasant discussion with people who didn't agree with you, and with few exceptions, they treated you with respect.

Then Rush came along and figured out that there are a lot of people who enjoy being angry, and that people who are always angry are usually people who are always scared of something. And they'll pay money to listen to other people tell them that yes, they're right to be angry, and yes they're right to be scared. Because they're not very bright, and they need that validation. He created an entirely new market, and station managers all across the country have been chasing that market ever since.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 PM

2,724 posts, read 3,688,764 times
Bruce Williams was the guy on at night as well as Sally Jesse Rafael. I liked Bruce and heard him at one of his performances here in town.

Owen Span was on during the day as well as Larry King.

Those of us that listen to Rush are "not mind numbed robots". Rush says things that we have felt LONG before he came on the air. While I don't agree with him 100%, I value you his opinion a lot more than anything on Pmsnbc or what is printed on the NYT and their bias.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:59 AM

10,265 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ummm....this is the HISTORY FORUM. I think you took a wrong turn somewhere in CityData.
No you didn't. Two posts are going away because they are discussing either Politics or Current Events. City-Data has forums for those topics. The History forum is not the place for those discussions.

In the future, let me ask all of you to please report any post that seems too current or political for the History forum.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History