U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 PM

5,815 posts, read 3,092,897 times

Advertisements

In Los Angeles we had Michael Jackson who split time half of the year with Dodgers baseball broadcast. His topics would be all over the map as with his guess. While he leaned liberal it was like the Donahue show on TV. Just like on TV Rush brought in the single subject (partisan politics) beat it to the ground show, but the audience knew what they would get everyday shows like judge shows and Jerry Springer later displaced the variety talk TV programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM

30,422 posts, read 9,092,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
All I remember hearing was...

Host: "Hi, welcome to the program..."

Caller: "Hello?"

Host: "Yes, go ahead.."

Caller: "Uh, am I on the air?"

Host: "Yes, you're on the air."

Caller: "Hi"

Host: "Sir, can you please turn your radio down.."

Caller: "Oh, okay"

Host: "Go ahead, sir"

Caller: "Is that better?"

Host: "Yes, go ahead.."

Caller: "Hi, how are you today?"

Lol. Too funny. And that's how our local shows were, too. That's why I love Savage--He doesn't want anyone asking him how he is.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:54 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,397,122 times
It was much more local. Rush Limbaugh had a kind of Wal-Mart effect - he drove all the smaller players out of business, conservative and liberal both. Stations would often have talk shows that focused on politics and there'd be a host for every little town.

By the 1980s AM radio in general was doing poorly because of FM music and TV competition. A lot of stations would have closed down but along comes Rush and you could carry his program cheaply - only needing a minimum wage worker to flip a switch on and off. Obviously that's cheaper than paying a host, technician and producer to run his own show.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:56 PM

862 posts, read 662,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

By the 1980s AM radio in general was doing poorly because of FM music and TV competition. A lot of stations would have closed down but along comes Rush and you could carry his program cheaply - only needing a minimum wage worker to flip a switch on and off. Obviously that's cheaper than paying a host, technician and producer to run his own show.

Pretty much correct but in the 80s before Rush I can remember in my area a lot of the AM stations were switching to those automated satellite music networks such as "Music of Your Life", "Real Country" and "Good Time Rock & Roll". Such services as I can recall usually came out of Dallas or Denver. While they saved the station money some of those services back in those days it had took away a lot of freedom that the station once had such as controlling the music in all dayparts including the few local shows the station had and some of those services even had a big hand in promotions too as they would say "..it must keep with the format". Maybe its different now but whatever the case was when Rush and the like had came along all one really needed to air besides the show itself was the network commercials. It wasn't like that if a station had wanted to air some special programming like a football game for example they had to call up the Rush Limbaugh people to get it.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:15 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,081,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It was much more local. Rush Limbaugh had a kind of Wal-Mart effect - he drove all the smaller players out of business, conservative and liberal both. Stations would often have talk shows that focused on politics and there'd be a host for every little town.
Local talk shows were caller driven shows, they were "conversations" as opposed to the host-dominated idea that Rush really brought to the forefront. Rush's training in radio was first as a Top 40 DJ, he was on the air here in Pittsburgh in the early 70's you may know. The Top 40 DJ's, particularly in the evening hours, were really full of a lot of wind, talked really fast with their dedications and call outs to the listeners, and their constant pitches for upcoming concerts and pushing pimple cream. The teenagers of that time were really avid listeners, and they listened for the DJ, all the stations had the same music of course.

Limbaugh synthesized the two formats into the modern talk radio format, and syndicated it. Since the local callers were no longer the stars or the motor for the programs, broadcasting nationwide became viable in a way it couldn't with the earlier talk shows.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,604,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Maybe; but some are very educational. The local shows are very informative and there was a guy out of Fla. I think, can't remember his name now. Maybe Bruce)?? But he gave very good financial advice to people who called in. He'd made millions from just using common sense, hard work and education.
Bruce Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. He replaced this guy Bernard Meltzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2015, 09:44 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,604,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Joe Pine was one of the earliest Talk Shows I remember.
Joe Pyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2015, 12:11 AM

978 posts, read 783,428 times
In Philadelphia in the '80s, talk radio was glorious. Local hosts discussing local, national, even international issues. They were mostly pretty smart people, so even if the callers weren't always well-informed, you learned from the hosts. If the caller was also smart, you got to listen to a conversation about something that mattered. There was no 45-seconds-and-on-to-the-next rule -- it was a true dialogue and could last quite a while.

One of the things I miss most about local talk radio is the book-promo tours. The host would spend an hour interviewing an author whose book had just been released. Usually they were non-fiction books. It was a great way to add to my bookstore shopping list. Even if I didn't want to buy the book, I always learned something.

Rush was a true phenomenon when he first arrived on the scene, complete with "Rush Rooms" at local restaurants where you could have lunch and listen to a broadcast of the show. But I'd welcome a pendulum swing back to local hosts and more discussion as opposed to argument. I hardly ever listen to talk radio anymore, though I do stream re-runs of "Handel on the Law" because he is SUCH a hoot!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:46 AM

15,590 posts, read 9,657,290 times
In Pittsburgh Pa in the 50's until the early 70's, there was a talk show on KDKA called Party Line with Ed and Wendy King. I would fall asleep as a kid every night listening to the show, and always wondered what Wendy looked like. (She had a very sexy voice )

Here is a little video about the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tGbWDvO-nI

Don

Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,151,071 times
I grew up in the Reading, Pennsylvania area in the 60's and 70's and there was a night time call-in talk show on WEEU called the "Night Mayor". I don't remember it being political...people called in to discuss local current topics (i.e. the Hurricane Agnes flood of 1972, the Reading Fair). I remember one old Pa. Dutch guy who used to call in frequently and play his violin.

There was a bird watching call-in talk show in the morning that was pretty boring if you weren't interested in birds..., but it does represent a more laid-back time when people were content to sit at their window and watch their bird feeder. This program was eventually changed in the late '70's to a call-in "any topic" talk show called "Feed Back" that is still on the air. I don't recall that show being political either...just folks discussing what was on their minds and local stories of the day. I do remember a lot of elderly shut-ins liked to call in.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-26-2015 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History