Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

I'd want to be in Jerusalem 2000 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,490 times
Wow...just reading all of your posts has been a treat!

I am with a lot of people with wanting to see the beginning of the Pyramids and how they built. Just mind boggling sometimes.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Anyone a fan of Irwin Allen's 1960s TV show, "The Time Tunnel"?

Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Anyone a fan of Irwin Allen's 1960s TV show, "The Time Tunnel"?
Oh, yeah, I used to watch as a kid.

Ken

Old 03-31-2008, 12:41 PM

438 posts, read 965,165 times
Can’t pick just one....

Go back to the first Easter and sit there just waiting (video camera in tow) so the world can finally know what a pile of camel dung the notion that a human being rose from the dead, moved a rock and vanished into thin air was/is. He died and that’s it. While I’m here I’d probably go back even further (staying with the biblical theme) and disprove more silly notions about walking on water, turning water into wine, people parting oceans, living to be several hundred years old, talking snakes, multi headed monsters etc. It’s all a science fiction campfire story, enough already. If any of these actually happened, I would eat said video camera and convert to Scientology (their science fiction is better anyway)

Go back to the continental congresses and listen in as the founding fathers fought it out amongst themselves over the direction of our country.

Go back to the constitutional convention so I could possibly influence or get a better clarification on the 2nd amendment and finally settle once and for all that the nonsense surrounding it is just that: nonsense. Write it out clearer lads...

Also would go back to the same time period and have them make the correct choice in outlawing slavery right off the bat, give women the right to vote and amend the "all men" are created equal to "all human beings" are created equal. If at that time, the loons in the south are still up in arms over the potential of not owning human beings for slave work I would then enact the new 2nd amendment and shoot all of them.

Go back to the Cuban Missile Crisis and have Kennedy call the Russians bluff and respond to the “other” offer.

Go back and let Columbus know that violence is not the way to go out making friends in a new world, especially beheading children in front of their parents. That might ruffle some feathers.

Go back and explain to the Puritans that leaving a country to escape religious persecution and then promptly executing your own people for not following your religious laws is (say it with me) religious persecution!

I’d find the following past presidents and punch them in the face for making stupid decisions that have costs us years of untold advancement:
Truman, Roosevelt, McKinley, Jackson, Eisenhower, Johnson, Nixon, Kennedy, forget it. I’d go smack them all for one thing or another. For every good deed most of our presidents have done, more than a few of them f*cked up in some other way. Manifest Destiny my arse.

I'd sit in on random recording sessions for Springsteen, The Beatles, Mellencamp, Petty, Mould, Replacements and others

I’d go back and hug both of my grandmothers one more time, meet my grandfather, shake hands with Uncle Joe again so he knows I don’t shake hands like a dead fish anymore, have a beer with my cousin Mike, play a prank on my cousin Tim, convince my Aunt that going the “holistic” way is not the way to try and beat a treatable cancer, stop my friend Erik from making a fatal choice, go get “lickies” from all 3 of my dogs again who I miss so much.

There is more, I could be here all day.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:16 PM

513 posts, read 896,972 times
I would go back to 1984 and spend the day with my grandparents and take them to dinner and just enjoy being with them.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 PM

91 posts, read 372,492 times
go and recount the election of 2000 and see who actually won...just so I can put to rest my various theories, or right next to JFK in a position to stop or cover the bullet that killed the greatest President of the former United States of America

Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Yep, I watched every episode numerious times. Somehow I wish Hollywood could still produce good, entertaining and intelligent weekly series.

I found a bunch of the episodes floating around the Internet and downloaded everyone I could get my hands on.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 17,246 times
well the romantic in me says the renissance but the American in me says then American Revolution.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
Can’t pick just one....

Go back to the first Easter and sit there just waiting (video camera in tow) so the world can finally know what a pile of camel dung the notion that a human being rose from the dead, moved a rock and vanished into thin air was/is. He died and that’s it. While I’m here I’d probably go back even further (staying with the biblical theme) and disprove more silly notions about walking on water, turning water into wine, people parting oceans, living to be several hundred years old, talking snakes, multi headed monsters etc. It’s all a science fiction campfire story, enough already. If any of these actually happened, I would eat said video camera and convert to Scientology (their science fiction is better anyway)

Go back to the continental congresses and listen in as the founding fathers fought it out amongst themselves over the direction of our country.

Go back to the constitutional convention so I could possibly influence or get a better clarification on the 2nd amendment and finally settle once and for all that the nonsense surrounding it is just that: nonsense. Write it out clearer lads...

Also would go back to the same time period and have them make the correct choice in outlawing slavery right off the bat, give women the right to vote and amend the "all men" are created equal to "all human beings" are created equal. If at that time, the loons in the south are still up in arms over the potential of not owning human beings for slave work I would then enact the new 2nd amendment and shoot all of them.

Go back to the Cuban Missile Crisis and have Kennedy call the Russians bluff and respond to the “other” offer.

Go back and let Columbus know that violence is not the way to go out making friends in a new world, especially beheading children in front of their parents. That might ruffle some feathers.

Go back and explain to the Puritans that leaving a country to escape religious persecution and then promptly executing your own people for not following your religious laws is (say it with me) religious persecution!

I’d find the following past presidents and punch them in the face for making stupid decisions that have costs us years of untold advancement:
Truman, Roosevelt, McKinley, Jackson, Eisenhower, Johnson, Nixon, Kennedy, forget it. I’d go smack them all for one thing or another. For every good deed most of our presidents have done, more than a few of them f*cked up in some other way. Manifest Destiny my arse.

I'd sit in on random recording sessions for Springsteen, The Beatles, Mellencamp, Petty, Mould, Replacements and others

I’d go back and hug both of my grandmothers one more time, meet my grandfather, shake hands with Uncle Joe again so he knows I don’t shake hands like a dead fish anymore, have a beer with my cousin Mike, play a prank on my cousin Tim, convince my Aunt that going the “holistic” way is not the way to try and beat a treatable cancer, stop my friend Erik from making a fatal choice, go get “lickies” from all 3 of my dogs again who I miss so much.

There is more, I could be here all day.
Good list. I would like to see most of those things too. But why the need to bash Christianity in a thread for fellow history buffs to just have some fun?

I would like to be behind you in a time machine watching you impose 21st century ethics (even though I agree with you on them) on past eras!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History