Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:27 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,278,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Cyrus of Persia. How many guys had glowing reviews written by the people conquered by them?

Catherine the Great of Russia would be cool too. A visionary, charismatic leader who improved the lives of peasants and maintained a strong military. She had a harem of men, I'd love to hear Mike Huckabee's commentary on that lol.
Quite the opposite, she won over the Russian aristocracy by completely turning the peasants into slaves. They were serfs for centuries but it was under Catherine that the state greatly expanded and legalized their status as the property of their owners. Her best achievement was in bringing a measure of German efficiency to the Russian haphazard state bureaucracy, and generally in being a smart, pragmatic and relatively open minded ruler who stayed in power for a very long time so there was some stability and some measure of order (well, not counting one of the worst peasant rebellions of all times) and the system was well established and functioning by the time she died. There was a very good biography of her written by some English author but I can't recall the name anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 PM

4,152 posts, read 4,391,967 times
Probably someone who had a philosophy that was pragmatic, curious and always evolving with the main goal being the advancement of mankind. I think a good candidate would be R Buckminster Fuller.
Visionary, holistic and forward thinking throughout his life.

Buckminster Fuller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I chose an Industrialist I'd go with George Eastman

George Eastman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2015, 07:16 PM

424 posts, read 378,925 times
MLK
FDR
Gandhi
Theodore Roosevelt
Carlos Santana
Bernie Sanders
Winston Churchill

Those are all I can think off at the top of my head.....

Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 PM

28,564 posts, read 18,570,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Yep, that's the problem. Ronald Reagan was in some ways not unlike Jimmy Carter - a man of strong personal convictions that could cloud his judgement and lead him to making rash decisions with an unpredictable outcome.

While I can't see Reagan deliberately initiating a nuclear first strike, I was at the time (early 80s) concerned that he was unnecessarily provoking the USSR and endangering our future by overspending on some Hollywood-inspired defense scheme. Luckily, I was young and stupid and didn't know 1/10th of the things I know now, or I'd be scared ****less.
One of the things not well known at the time as well were the periodic BEAR combat patrols along the US east and west coats. Those were not the recce BEARS people are hearing about now--those BEAR were flying along the US coasts armed with nukes.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 PM

616 posts, read 640,983 times
Teddy Roosevelt
Abe Lincoln

Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,642,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Eugene V. Debs
Emma Goldman
Mary Harris ("Mother") Jones
What he/she said.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:47 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,245,484 times
Quote:
While I can't see Reagan deliberately initiating a nuclear first strike, I was at the time (early 80s) concerned that he was unnecessarily provoking the USSR and endangering our future by overspending on some Hollywood-inspired defense scheme. Luckily, I was young and stupid and didn't know 1/10th of the things I know now, or I'd be scared ****less.
Reagan and his advisors were wise enough to recognize that one more high-tech defense build-up could not be matched by the Soviet Union, which would then collapse under the weight of its own chains.

And so, with the usual collection of peaceniks recruiting via the Left-leaning media and fighting it to the last ditch, the last of the great butcher-states of the 1930's was consigned to history's sewer ... and bloodlessly!

But my personal choice for President would be the late Dr. Eric Hoffer, who understood the dangers of "leadership via charisma" better than anyone else I can think of.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times
Eisenhower or Theodore Roosevelt. Our 2 best presidents. Too bad no modern politician is anything like either of them.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:46 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,758,659 times
Caligula.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:50 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,758,659 times
Quote:
Quite the opposite, she won over the Russian aristocracy by completely turning the peasants into slaves. They were serfs for centuries but it was under Catherine that the state greatly expanded and legalized their status as the property of their owners.
That is a rather cynical view of the Charter to the Nobility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History