Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Admiral Hyman Rickover would have made a good president. As he was not born in the US he was not eligible, but that wouldn't prevent him from being presidentable according to the standards of the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 07:16 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Though a bigger fan of Jefferson I am picking Teddy Roosevelt for todays job. Jefferson would get killed or dispensed in my estimation. Teddy was a giant slayer extraordinaire. We have several extraordinary giants badly in need of slaying.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:15 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Right now today, post 1937 Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Right now today, post 1937 Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Second that. Someone with vision, one who can communicate hope, and is a consummate politician as well.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Eisenhower or possibly the 1999 Colin Powell

I think at the time Powell would have had the respect coming into office that Eisenhower did. (Both could have chosen which party they wanted to run in)

The problem with Powell is his later connection with the Bush Administration

Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I was discussing the "Greatest Empires" thread with my kids. One of them posed this question and I found it very interesting.

Would you want someone that would make the US more powerful? Someone that could improve her image? Or someone that could bring the different parties and factions together?

Tell me who you would want to be the next US President, any living or deceased person and why.
A cross between Teddy Roosevelt and Harry Truman. Someone who does what they think is right, damn the torpedoes, and doesn't buckle under to the political correctness of the day.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:28 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Eisenhower or possibly the 1999 Colin Powell

I think at the time Powell would have had the respect coming into office that Eisenhower did. (Both could have chosen which party they wanted to run in)

The problem with Powell is his later connection with the Bush Administration
The problem with Powell is that he used his truthworthy image to loan credibility to Bush's Iraq WMD sales pitch which he knew (being in his position, I don't think there's any other possibility) was total BS.

Hence, his image did not reflect the real Colin Powell.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The problem with Powell is that he used his truthworthy image to loan credibility to Bush's Iraq WMD sales pitch which he knew (being in his position, I don't think there's any other possibility) was total BS.

Hence, his image did not reflect the real Colin Powell.
According to the autobiography of one of Powell's state department aides, his intelligence people in State did not accept the analysis out of the CIA (nor did DIA, for that matter, and they all had the same information). Powell went back to George Tenet four times pressing him for certainty, which Tenent gave him every time.

That's where Powell went wrong. The old general Powell would have paid attention to his own people. He should have told Tenet, "You get your people to convince my people, and I'll go with this."

Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
According to the autobiography of one of Powell's state department aides, his intelligence people in State did not accept the analysis out of the CIA (nor did DIA, for that matter, and they all had the same information). Powell went back to George Tenet four times pressing him for certainty, which Tenent gave him every time.

That's where Powell went wrong. The old general Powell would have paid attention to his own people. He should have told Tenet, "You get your people to convince my people, and I'll go with this."
Most intelligence experts in Europe and the ones here who were not aligned with Bush administration were extremely skeptical of that "data".

Also, even a layperson like me realized that removing Saddam would only turn Iraq into another Lebanon, a hotbed for terrorists like the ones who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks. As a dictator greatly weakened by that time in what he could do externally yet still very strong internally, he was of benefit to us.

Either Powell is a whole lot more naïve and dumb than he seems, or he's bending the truth in his autobiography trying to distance himself from what was proven to be a disastrous gamble based on known lies.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Most intelligence experts in Europe and the ones here who were not aligned with Bush administration were extremely skeptical of that "data".

Also, even a layperson like me realized that removing Saddam would only turn Iraq into another Lebanon, a hotbed for terrorists like the ones who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks. As a dictator greatly weakened by that time in what he could do externally yet still very strong internally, he was of benefit to us.

Either Powell is a whole lot more naïve and dumb than he seems, or he's bending the truth in his autobiography trying to distance himself from what was proven to be a disastrous gamble based on known lies.
During the early 90s while I was at DIA, I saw three different "Iraq after Saddam" analyses that predicted precisely what has happened.

During the 80s, most Iraq analysts felt that Saddam had successfully quelled sectarianism in the same way it was believed Tito had done in Yugoslavia. But when Yugoslavia spun violently apart right after Tito's death, the Iraq analysts took another look at Saddam's regime, making note of the social stresses the Yugoslavia analysts had fatally minimized. What has happened in Iraq was expected by the nerds in the cubicles who spend all their time studying this stuff.

The efforts of DIA and the Army to derail the Iraq war were really kind of astounding to people who knew what to look for, but the politicians out-maneuvered the generals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History