Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:52 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,088,329 times

Advertisements

I am 39, so snooze buttons have been around pretty much my whole life that I required an alarm. But I've never used them. I always thought they kind of defeated the purpose of using the alarm. & I also never really trusted that they would go off.

Then after I was in college, I lived a girlfriend who did use it, and it drove me bat crap crazy. Because her alarm would just keep going off and wake me up.

When I was in high school, I kept my alarm on the other side of the room. So then you're awake because you've gotten out of bed and walk all the way across the room.

I don't use the snooze button now because I think it's really rude to the other person in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 02:03 PM

12,885 posts, read 13,558,635 times
I ran into an old lady friend while I was buying an alarm clock and she told me back in her day you didn't need an alarm clock, having a job would wake you up.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:08 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,088,329 times
This cracks me up.
Attached Thumbnails
People alive before the snooze button- how did you get out bed??!-_20150515_193045.jpg  

Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,210,249 times
I literally leap out of bed every morning, fully awake, 100% ready to go.

My dad was the same, and he was a farm boy - up with the animals.

Humans do still have the body clock going, very effective for some folk like me who can literally say "im going to wake up at 5am tomorrow" and do.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,137,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
The snooze button is one of the dumbest inventions ever. Set the alarm for when you want to get up and when it goes off GET UP.

Not only is the snooze button a really bad idea (IMHO), but I also believe that it only serves as an excuse for lazy people.
When I was in my working years (and even today, on the rare occasions when I use an alarm clock) I would almost always wake up before the alarm sounded.

If somebody is a responsible, adult-like person who gets sufficient sleep--and if he/she did not take some sort of drugs before going to bed--there is no reason why somebody can't get up when the alarm sounds for the first time each morning.

I never used the "snooze" feature, and somehow I can't imagine that I am really unique in that respect.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:01 PM

32,774 posts, read 36,008,478 times
Someone else in the house got me out of bed.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:06 PM

44,945 posts, read 59,942,524 times
My current alarm is the first with a snooze button. It rarely goes off. It's kind of a neat clock, though.

Instead of an alarm right away it has a blinking bluish light. If that doesn't wake you up after about 4 minutes it does have a bell.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:09 PM

17,478 posts, read 17,325,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am 39, so snooze buttons have been around pretty much my whole life that I required an alarm. But I've never used them. I always thought they kind of defeated the purpose of using the alarm. & I also never really trusted that they would go off.

Then after I was in college, I lived a girlfriend who did use it, and it drove me bat crap crazy. Because her alarm would just keep going off and wake me up.

When I was in high school, I kept my alarm on the other side of the room. So then you're awake because you've gotten out of bed and walk all the way across the room.

I don't use the snooze button now because I think it's really rude to the other person in the room.
That's what I did in school. Alarm clock on the other side of the room so I had to get out of bed to turn it off. Prevented me from being late for the bus or driving to school.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:31 PM

6,577 posts, read 4,710,506 times
I've been "blessed" with a very accurate internal clock. I've never, even as a teen, needed an alarm clock, I've always woken up on time. In fact, in high school (many many years ago) I used to wake automatically at 5am.

Unfortunately, this doesn't stop me from waking up every hour throughout the night to check the time if I DO have to get up at a specific time for some reason.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:57 PM

749 posts, read 846,290 times
My Grandfather was born in 1897. He was a very deep sleeper and so back in those olden days he had to put the alarm clock out of reach so he'd have to get up to shut it off, a snooze button wouldn't have helped him at all. However, the old clocks could 'run down' stop ringing, it was mechanical so a wheel gearing would stop hitting the pin or some sort of thing like that, before it woke him soooooo......

happy day when landlines became available and he could get a telephone service to 'ring him up' but again if he slept through the ringing phone long enough and one of his neighbors who was on his 'party line' (don't ask!!) got tired of waiting to use the phone they'd just run on over and pound on Grandpa's front door, or just walk in (no need to lock your door) and wake him up.

Waking up used to involve the whole community, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History