Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times

Advertisements

I never understood snooze buttons, either. It hurts more to wake up again if I fall back asleep after the alarm has already woken me up.

I agree: decent bedtimes and enough sleep make getting up a lot easier. I try to have coffee waiting for me. I sit at the table and sip it as I wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 PM

9,454 posts, read 10,757,286 times
There are multiple posts in here that are examples of extreme "morning people". No matter what year it is some people are wired to be up before the rooster crows, while others are prone to staying up until 2 am and rising at 10am. Also it has always been true that those said morning folks demonize those lazy night people. Some things about people don't change with time. Its ridiculous to assume that in the "good ole days" everyone just hopped out of bed when the rooster crowed. I know im not old as im in my 40s, but never remember it being any different in regards to how many people hate getting up in the morning vs those wonderful morning people. Now there are more jobs that require night work today, that has changed peoples sleeping habits.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM

244 posts, read 360,968 times
I'm in my mid 20s, I've never used my alarm clock so by proxy I've never used the snooze button - not once. I just naturally wake up when needed.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:04 PM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Back in the day most families had chickens and someone in the neighbourhood had a crow that would take care of everyone's waking time.
A crow?
I can understand people owning a rooster, but...a crow?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:15 PM

17,544 posts, read 17,485,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are multiple posts in here that are examples of extreme "morning people". No matter what year it is some people are wired to be up before the rooster crows, while others are prone to staying up until 2 am and rising at 10am. Also it has always been true that those said morning folks demonize those lazy night people. Some things about people don't change with time. Its ridiculous to assume that in the "good ole days" everyone just hopped out of bed when the rooster crowed. I know im not old as im in my 40s, but never remember it being any different in regards to how many people hate getting up in the morning vs those wonderful morning people. Now there are more jobs that require night work today, that has changed peoples sleeping habits.
No one happily jumped out of bed full of energy and ready to go. But when people had to get up to go to work they didn't lay about turning off the alarm and then resetting the alarm for another 10 to 30 minutes. They turned off the alarm and got up or they fell back to sleep and risk loosing their job. Yes, some people are naturally evening cycle and most are day cycle. But that doesn't change the fact that back in the day very few jobs were over night jobs so you either got up in the morning or you started looking for another job. Hospital, police, and fire department have been traditionally a 24/7 work. Some where along the way even Walmart became 24/7. I wish I had a normal schedule but I've been doing this rotating shift for 16 years now. It's steady work that few are willing and able to do.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:43 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,447,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I used to set the alarm an hour before I needed to get up and I kept hitting the snooze button every 10 minutes. Drove my then wife nuts ! It disturbed her sleep, but it was the only way I could wake up in the morning.
I do the same! I'm very groggy in the morning plus I am a heavy sleeper. The things I've slept through and the looks I've got when I was like, "what thunderstorm?" (I joke around how I wouldn't wake up with a train and tornado went through our apt and I'll wake up wondering what happened!) I never remember hearing my alarm the first few times it goes off. I typically will set my alarm about 45 mins before I need to get out of bed. (ie: Set at 6am, typically around 6:30 I know I am now hitting the snooze button) Luckily, my husband is the same way I am.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,640,604 times
Pure force of will.

I'm the opposite of a morning person, but I can organize sufficient brain cells to get out of bed and moving towards where I need to be, even if that's just the source of my first cup of coffee.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,382,291 times
I usually set about 7-8 alarm clocks on my phone with different melodies. One of two of them must be highly disgusted by me to make me get up, finally. So no, no straight up and fly around type.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I saw one of the first episodes of Mad Men set in 1960 or 1961 and there was one scene were the alarm clock went off and the housewife flung her arms in the air and propelled her whole body to sit up in bed. Then the camera just focused on her in this sitting position for a beat.

This didn't seem essential to the plot or her character so I'm wondering if it was just to set the stage of the era. I've never seen anyone just "pop" out of bed like this. Most at least ease themselves *a little bit * even if they don't use snooze.

So how did the older posters here, especially in city and suburbs with no roosters, do it back then? Fling yourself up then get out of bed immediately? If not, did you ever fall back to sleep and miss work?

I NEED to know!!

I never thought to ask my elderly grandparents who are now dead but always used snooze. OR they used the expression "they rolled over" to mean someone didn't get out of bed when then should have and instead went back to sleep. I always hated that expression because I never really "rolled over" if i fell back to sleep but I'm wondering if it has a historical context.

Oh- and they would also say "I'm just resting my eyes" like taking a nap was a sin or something! ?

Thanks!
I wasn't alive back then but I do have to get up pretty much just like that. I cannot use a snooze button, and I cannot have the alarm clock next to my bed. Way too many times I have pushed through every single "snooze" alarm, and the regular alarm, when the clock was placed near my bed. I will sleep through it all, (I've literally had a clock alarm go off for two hours and I did not wake up), or fall back asleep almost instantaneously....I am not a morning person whatsoever.

I have to put the clock on the other side of the room, and because I'm not a morning person, no matter how nice the clock makers try to make the alarm sound, it is one of the most annoying sounds in the world to me at that hour. I fling myself out of bed, run to the other side of the room and slam it off...so that I do not start my day annoyed. That is, honestly, the only way that I can wake up on time.

As for the rolling over thing, apparently I do that. Here's a little story to demonstrate that people do indeed "roll over": I was in the military, and my barracks roommate was still up watching tv while I had fallen asleep. She said that at one point, all she did was reach for the remote control, she didn't say anything, she just reached, about a foot from her, for the remote to turn the TV off.

She said that I rolled over, looked right at her, said, "No, don't turn it off", and then rolled back over fast asleep.

I have no recollection of this incident but a) it freaked her out enough to tell me about it, and b) it's not even close to the first time that people have told me I will sit straight up and talk to them in my sleep, and then lie back down, roll over, and be fast asleep.

So I guess some of us do roll over.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,376,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
That is utter bull****. Talk to night owls who have to work day jobs before you start spouting utter crap like that.
I'm a night owl. I suffer horrible bouts of insomnia. I still need to wake up early. I set my alarm for the moment I absolutely need to get out of bed, and regardless of how late I got to bed or how little sleep I've gotten, I wake right up and get out of bed when my alarm goes off.

I have never used the snooze function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History