U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,820,667 times

Advertisements

I was 6 years old in 1971. Oh boy, I loved playing with my barbies and other dolls! Watching all the great cartoons they had back then. Riding my bike to Ellis Park (in Cedar Rapids, Iowa)and spending a lot of time there. Riding my bike on the bike trails my brothers made in the back area of our house. Exploring through the woods. Loving David Cassidy, Donny Osmond and Bobby Sherman. Lots of swimming, camping and going to picnics with my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM

51,987 posts, read 30,047,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Awesome! It must have been divine! One thing though, Morrison died in July. Im pretty sure about that.
I believe you're right, he did die in July - My bad.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,859,002 times
I just read every one of these posts. I love thinking back to better times.

I remember every saturday night when family, friends and some close relatives would all come over to watch "All in the Family". This was a weekly event.

I remember it was against the law to drive our bikes on the road. We were required to ride on the sidewalks....where bikes belong. When did this change anyway?

Playing hookie from school with my transister radio and listening to Maggie May humming along.

1971 was the year they finally banned cigarette advertising. I was so happy as I think I was the only non smoker in America at the time.

Watching the Charles Manson trials on the news. The Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali fight. Ed Sullivan's final TV show. DB Cooper who to this day remains the only person ever to get away with hijacking a plane. I got a 45 RPM of Don McCleans "American Pie" for a Christmas present as well as John Lennons "Imagine".

I will not mention any more music or TV shows because most of them have already been mentioned. I do have to mention one I loved called "The Immortal" It premiered in 1970 but I watched reruns all next year. I must also mention one more that I will never forget. The old cartoon "Wait till your father gets home" I think that was 1972. Same era, love it all just the same.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM

One other thing I remember about 1972 was the Watergate break-in that brought down Nixon's presidency. I had just turned 16 in the middle of October of 1972, so I still wasn't old enough to vote, but it was unfortunate we had to deal with all of those Watergate hearings that were on TV in 1973, and I remember my mom was complaining about missing her soap operas!

Also in October of 1972, I remember hearing about that plane that was carrying a rugby or some sports team, which crashed in the Andes Mountains in South America. I've always been an aviation enthusiast, even when I was a kid, and I remember I kept following up on it. I also remember a Reader Digest article about the crash sometime in the late summer of 1973, which was a few months after 3 of the survivors had come down from the mountains and were found by a villager, and the remaining survivors were subsequently rescued by helicopters after spending some 5 months in the snow and they survived by eating the flesh of their deceased comrades. The movie Alive was also made about them in 1992.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,150,308 times
Quote:
Wait till your father gets home
Yes this was one of my fav's too. I couldn't remember what year, I was thinking it was on the year I was 4. The song was so catchy.. I asked my mother once if she remembered that and she didn't remember at all telling me I remembered the most obscure things from the past. LOL.

Last edited by stargazer; 02-06-2008 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 04:18 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,820,667 times
I remember Wait Til Your Father Gets Home too! I googled it a couple months ago. And you can buy the dvd's! It is on youtube too. I watched and listened to the opening theme of the show on youtube, and I still remember the words after all these years! lol

Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I was in Viet nam, in the bush in the infantry getting shot at.
Thats about all I prefer to remember about 71/72
That I will talk about.
Convert 54, I do have the highest level of respect for you and all other Veterans, who served in every conflict.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 PM

8,262 posts, read 16,453,187 times
I dont understand what Woodstock has to do with remembering 1971-1972. Woodstock was 1969. i was there and to be honest, quite stoned! But I'm still pretty sure it was 1969! Damn! I didnt lose 3 years somewhere did I?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,995,713 times
Nope, you are right: 1969. And it was one of the reasons I started the Woodstock thread--which is teaching me some stuff and reminding me why I didn't go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
I dont understand what Woodstock has to do with remembering 1971-1972. Woodstock was 1969. i was there and to be honest, quite stoned! But I'm still pretty sure it was 1969! Damn! I didnt lose 3 years somewhere did I?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Somebody already mentioned movies from that era, where the cold war was on the mind of every American and Russian at the time, I was a kid back then, but the way everybody talked back then, it made you think if the "cold war" escelated to anything beyond cold, it would certainly be the end of mankind.

I believe the first Planet Of The Apes movie came out in 1969 or 1970, but its theme and the way it ended, with Charlton Heston finding the top portion of the Statue of Liberty on the beach certainly reflected how America and Hollywood thought at the time. I have the movie on DVD, and at the end, Taylor (Charlton Heston) screams when he realized that "they did it" (nuclear annihilation) he gets on his knees and yells "Damn all of you to hell!". It's definitely a classic, and I know it had sequels that came out later, one of which was in 1972.

Dirty Harry was also a classic, which led to other good sequels in the 1970's and 1980's, and the original reflected the general attitude of the American public and how disgusted they were because a criminal (Scorpio) was able to manipulate the system to his advantage and get away with it, but Harry Calihan (Clint Easwood) was the good guy, and he was not going to play his game. That was definitely classic Eastwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or