U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 01:31 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,820,667 times

Advertisements

Also back then they had a "smoking area" for the students on some of the public high school campus's. In the 80's they had it also. Things sure have changed, huh? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,461,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
I was 12, and we just moved up in the world and recieved a new color TV for the first time, but the rabbit ears could only pick up 4 channels, as long as someone wasnt moving in the room, or we could put some tin foil to increase the reception,lol. I was in 4-H Dog trainning, and riding my horse through main street to get to the fairgrounds to pretend I was the barrel racing queen. We attended all the football games and had a snake dance in the middle of town with everybody cheering our team. Our community took care to teach each other, because that was all we had, and we liked it because we didnt have to lock our cars or worry so much. It was a good time of life, I wont forget that part.
We only got 4 channels too but that was an improvement over the 3 we had in the 60s. They were:

ch 3 KSNS
ch 8 KPTV
ch 10 KAKE
Ch 12 KTVH

Old 02-17-2008, 06:38 AM

444 posts, read 1,101,100 times
Oh yeah I forgot one thing, the radio station we had all day only gave country music and mostly the farm report until after dark, then we could pick up KOMA from Oklahoma City, so we could get some pop rock at night, that was cool to get it in CO from OKC, I was happy to have a change of tune.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,820,667 times
IMO kids were much more appreciative back then when they got "material" things. We didn't always get what we wanted but when we did it was a very big deal. We usually had to wait til Christmas to get anything. We usually ate for breakfast things like Corn Flakes, Cheerios, Puffed Wheat, Puffed Rice or oatmeal. But every once in awhile when it came time to get groceries my mom would ask each of us kids which cereal we wanted. Then she would buy us each the cereal of our choice. Back then that was a huge deal.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:03 PM

8,262 posts, read 16,453,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This photo is a few years after--but I remember buying that little blouse back in '72 when I was making money with my first real job. I wish I still had the blouse, just for the corny Boomer sentimental value.
It was pale powder blue, printed with little birds in nests, and tied above the waist.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Capresesalad/scan0001.jpg (broken link)
Damn Girl! You were fine! I would have loved to have met you back then!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
Oh yeah I forgot one thing, the radio station we had all day only gave country music and mostly the farm report until after dark, then we could pick up KOMA from Oklahoma City, so we could get some pop rock at night, that was cool to get it in CO from OKC, I was happy to have a change of tune.
The first few years of the 70s we had one AM station in town KLEO that played rock and pop. I also used to listen to Larry Lujack out of Chicago on WLS which could be heard all over the midwest. In about 73 we finally got a rock station called "Channel 97" on the FM dial and I got an FM radio just so I could listen to it.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
Also back then they had a "smoking area" for the students on some of the public high school campus's. In the 80's they had it also. Things sure have changed, huh? lol
My high school had both a smoking area which was a large butt urn outside the west door and the kids that smoked (I was one) and were generally rebellious were dubbed "West Door Kids". We also had open lunch where you could leave the school grounds during lunch. We used to walk across the street to Sandy's Drive In (later Hardees) and grab a burger and then go play a few rounds of pinball at Mr Magoos. I do not see this anywhere anymore but the cafeteria and the food at my daughters high school is so much better than what we had!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM

444 posts, read 1,101,100 times
OH one just one more thing, my brother became a drummer in our hometown rock band, so my hearing may have suffered a bit back then, was between him and the first concert I attended in my life, Ted Nugent, Cat Scratch Fever that was 76.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,474,021 times
Concerts I attended in 1976.
Peter Frampton
Heart
Yes
Bicentennial Souther Rock Fest- Outlaws, Blue Oyster Cult, Lynard Skynard, ZZ Topp
Stephen Stills
embarrasingly Gino Vanelli
Pink Floyd

Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,247,902 times
I graduated high school in 1971. It a interesting yet tumultuous time in history. I participated in the first Earth Day in high school, got my first car in 1972, a Pinto. It cost me $5.00 to fill it up. We had long gas lines where you could sit so long in line you run out of gas waiting. The Vietnam war was on and people were getting more and more tired of it and wanting our boys to come home. It was the age of love, hippies and wanna-be-hippies around, lots of drugs if that was what you were in to. People were less worried about sex as we had no AIDS or Herpes then. I wouldn't go back to that time again if I could, but I do feel honored to have lived during a time of so many things in our history (Cuban Missle Crisis, Assassination of JFK and Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Ohio State, Vietnam War, arrival of the Beatles in US, Woemn's Movement, Hippies etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or