U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 AM

16,423 posts, read 11,173,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I remember chocolate brown carpet was really hot, along with the olives and harvest golds. Blech! Polyester dresses.
The color "avacado" was big. I had a girlfirend whose mother loved that color and they had an avacado fridge, dishwasher, carpeting, couch (with plastic all over it to protect it lol), curtains, you name it. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,740,372 times
Oh my God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
As i stated earlier i was in the 3rd and 4th grades back then and i liked the Bubblegum rock like the Osmonds. I just had to post and laugh watching this on ''The Flip Wilson Show'' in 1971 as the Osmonds are singing yo yo.

YouTube - The Osmonds Yo Yo

Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM

21,808 posts, read 38,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
The color "avacado" was big. I had a girlfirend whose mother loved that color and they had an avacado fridge, dishwasher, carpeting, couch (with plastic all over it to protect it lol), curtains, you name it. Disgusting.
maybe that is why I had avocado color 2 inch long shag carpet in my bedroom. It was so soft and as kid it could hide my dirt very well.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 PM

474 posts, read 357,615 times
On the Road: Sorry about the hi-jacking. I am new at this stuff. But what I said was true. That was what I was doing in 1971-2. My daughter was married that year and my son entered UMass that year. I had been a young bride and became a young college Mom and Mother in law. The war in Vietnam was about over. Nixon became President. Spiro Agnew, his V.P. told the press off and was by husband's hero. When my new son in law first came dating, he was wearing long hair and was home from Boston College law school because of a demonstration against the war taking place. My husband said to him, "I hope you are not one of those crazy kids demonstrating and wasting your parents hard earned money." And the young man replied." Someone has to get rid of that jerk Agnew!" My husband flew of the chair and said, No crazy liberal kid is going to marry my daughter and that's it." Well, here we are today with two grandchildren, one a graduate of Princeton, the other a graduate of University of Vermont, both successful in their chosen careers, three great grandchildren later and we all laugh at Gramps and Spiro Agnew story. You see, all politics is not bad, you can get a laugh out of it. That is my 1971-2 story.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,880,617 times
Or that cracling little speaker you hung from your car window at the drive in.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:36 PM

919 posts, read 1,848,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If you were lucky and your folks bought those little multi packs of cereal, you got to them before anybody else and took the Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks out for yourself and left the rest for everybody else!
LOL! I did the same thing, but my mom usually only bought those multi packs for camping trips or other unusual situations.

Did anyone else pick out and eat the marshmallows first from the Lucky Charms?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,740,372 times
I did later in the decade (mid 70s) but it was never that satisfying, there never seemed to be that many, so I gave up. I was more in to Count Chocula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Did anyone else pick out and eat the marshmallows first from the Lucky Charms?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 AM

10,089 posts, read 13,046,861 times
I turned 6 in May of 71. Was in Kindergarden and my dad was in the Navy. He was gone a lot on a Destroyer in the South China Sea. By 72 he had gotten out of the Navy to work as a Civilian employee on a Navy base.

I remember the milk man bringing milk each morning and usually before school started the Helm's Bakery truck would drive into the neighborhood, honk his distinctive horn and the mom's would head out to the truck to get there baked goods. If we were lucky our mom would get a couple cookies or a donut for us before school started. Still remember that truck, kind of like a 60's era Chevy Suburban, but with no windows in the back, kind of like a panel van.

On trash day the trash truck had a driver and a guy to lift the heavy metel trash cans. many of the mom's would offer them some lemonaid or cool aid every once in a while.

In 1972 my dad bought a new car from a company that had built his little 125CC Motorcycle. He had this little Honda 600 car with a 2 cylinder motorcycle engine and a shift lever that went into the engine compartment. It had two bucket seats and a little bench seat in the back. In our area the Pontiac Dealer had added this new line of cars to his lot. Back then people liked the car but didn't know if they would last. They weren't American made, but they did get great mileage. I remember three other families on the block that bought the Honda and one that bought the bubble shapped Honda CVCC. That one became known as the Civic and is still with us today.

Other families bought Fiat's. We had a dealer in town that sold the Fiat, Peugeot, and Renault line of cars. I think by 1979 they had all left the area and by the early 80's the dealers were gone from the US.

I have a collection of Pepsi stuff. When we were kids Pepsi, Coke and everyine else was sold in Bottles that you could take in for a refund and they would clean them and fill them up again. I kept many of the bottles and still have them. We didn't drink Soda in my parents home often. That was a treat that we seldom got.

We never went out to eat when I was a kid. My mom was a housewife. Not a stay at home mom. A housewife. She cooked breakfast, made us lunch and cooked dinner. The kitchen wasn't oppened 24 hours either. We ate dinner or we went hungry. At the same time we didn't have a lot of quick meal items in the house either. About the only thing back then that you could make quickly was a can of Campbells soup, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I know that there was stuff on the market, but my parents didn't buy that stuff. My mom made cakes from scratch, although you could buy the box cake mix.

Our home had a rotary dial phone in the kitchen on the wall, between the kitchen and the dining room. Later on my dad added a longer cord for the hand set so that you sdidn't have to stand around the phone for ever. The kitchens in the homes on our street had a place for a washing machine. There was no clothes dryer. My mom would wash the clothes in the kitchen, and go outside and hang them up on the clothesline. We had a black and white TV with two dials, one for the UHF channels and one for the VHF channells. There was an antenna on the roof of the home. From time to time a tube would go out on the TV and we would head over to the local store and pick out a tube for the TV. In the back of the TV was an area for the tubes. Also you had to let the set warm up for a few minutes before the picture was perfect. My parents didn't buy a color TV till 1982. I remember because I was in High school by then and my brothers and I got the old black and white set for our room.

The neighborhood had fish fries, Bar B Q's and neighborhood parties. Everyone knew each other and if you did something wrong any of the moms would let you know you were out of line. Back then we actually listened to our parents or other parents. On the 4th of July everyone had fire works and we ran around with sparklers. I still live in the same area and you can get fined for having things like that now.

I learned how to ride a bike in 1972 and we didn't have helmets and we did ride in the street. Sometimes we fell down and got hurt. That was expected and no one sued over it. We also climed trees back then. Things were different. I loved growing up and had a very happy childhood. Loved being a kid in that time frame.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:19 PM

34 posts, read 50,392 times
Default I remember the 70s

I was in elementary school in 1971/72. We lived in a Ranch House with one TV, Rotary Phone, & a Magnovox Stereo Console / Record Player. No Microwaves, Computers, Cell Phones or Internet. In some ways I think that life was simpler back then as we did not have as many distractions as now & the cost of living was more reasonable then than now. Brand new Chevy or Dodge full size sedans were around $3,000.00 give or take a few$$ & Economy Cars like a Dodge Dart were around $2K-$2,500.00 depending on options. My Father had a Dodge Polara that would cost about $7.00 to fill up with gas at .35 per gallon with a 20 gallon tank! If he filled up at the one-quarter mark on the gauge then it was about $5.00 instead. I do remember when cars had an Interlock System where the Driver & Front Passenger had to Buckle their Seatbelts or the Car would not start. Anyone else remember this?? Also, there were Billboards across the Country that said: "There is a word for those who do not use Seatbelts....Stupid" Not many folks used Seatbelts in those days so I guess the Billboards were not very effective at all. LOL. I started to use mine when I was a Teen & had my own car & paid for my own insurance also. The 70s were not that bad & I feel that the times we live in now are more troublesome it seems. Take Care all.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 PM

13,739 posts, read 5,327,485 times
Default Ahhh...the 70s...

I was 7 in 1971 so I remember quite a bit. My parent's house had orange shag carpeting with wood paneling everywhere...we didn't have the avocado appliances but instead we kept the orange/gold theme going with the appliances as well!
The gold rotary phone (imagine that..more gold..) on the wall also had the cord of death attached to it...that sucker could go all the way into the living room but when it wasn't in use, it lay coiled up on the floor just below the phone waiting to trip anyone that got too close to it.
I remember that I was my parent's remote control too...we had five TV channels back then in our city, but I had to change the channels back and forth so much, you'd have thought we had over 500 channels. "No Dad..that's still Flip Wilson" or "It's still Gunsmoke on CBS, Dad...Here's Lucy comes on later"...."Bonanza's not on tonight, Dad...it's not Sunday night, it's Monday which is why Gunsmoke is on".....I remember the old NBC logo and the original peacock that did a little dance and opened his feathers while the announcer stated that NBC was a full-color network.
I remember a restaurant that served waffles and pancakes and had flavored syrups called Sambo's...the controversy over the name and the marketing ads back then forced most of them to close about 10 years later.
I remember the Smokey the Bear ads about preventing forest fires...I remember seeing billboards that showed a crying Indian upset about litter with the slogan "Keep America Beautiful"...
I remember it seemed that everyone loved either the Osmonds or the Jackson 5, especially if you were young. My sister was about five years older and she always had Tiger Beat or "16" magazines that had them plastered on every page...that and how you could win a date with either David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History