U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,966,392 times

Advertisements

Oh, cars from back then - big sedans with bench seats in the front and back and you could put 3 people in the front seat and 4 in the back. No gigantic car seats taking up all the space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 05:54 PM

11,434 posts, read 16,579,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well i was around 8 or 9 back then. I remember we watched Charlies Angels and Starsky and Hutch on Prime Time TV back then. I also watched The Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch as after school favorates on TV also.

I remember the long gas lines at the Gas Stations back then whenever my parents pulled our Station Wagon in to fill up as the oil embargo against the U.S. made it tough to get fuel.

I remember when my dad managed a Dennys resturaunt and there was a Juke Box in there as i loved to put in quarters in it to hear my favorate songs and also going to watch my dad Bowl in his Bowling league i as would play the Pinball Machines for hours.

One thing i realised since those years is that back then is that people were always more active as our family and friends always went to the parks on the weekends and had cookouts and played basketball, softball and Frisbee Football etc as i would be the most excited when my dad took me to K-Mart and bought me a new Basketball...as there wasn't computers, electronic games, videos or cell phones and we did not sit in front of a TV with 400 cable channels as we have in todays world.

I could go on but that's some of the things i recall back in the years you mentioned when i was in the 3rd and 4th grades......
starsky & charlies angels did not come around until the mid 70s, maybe like 1975 or 1976. brady bunch & partridge family were shows that came on friday night @ 7 and 7:30 if you lived in the central time zone, not after school. juke box songs were a nickel or a dime per song back then, as was a call from a public phone. phone calls did not go to a quarter until 1976. a coke from a machine in early 70s was only 20 cents. a candy bar was only 1o cents,bubble gum a penny. as a matter of fact, 40 cents bought you a LOT of candy! i remember when hersheys bars went to 25 cents in 1976 that it made the national news.

Last edited by wehotex; 01-26-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 05:59 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,882,816 times
Well SunnyKayak....it looks like with all the posts on your thread that you have a good idea what life was like in 71/72.....

I noticed alot of us as kids back then mentioned The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family as shows we watched but does anyone remember on saturday mornings after cartoons......

''HR Puff n Stuff'' and also ''Land of the Lost''. I'm not sure if those were in 71/72 but they were around that time frame by a year or so back then.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 01-26-2008 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: explanation

Old 01-26-2008, 06:05 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
sorry, but starsky & charlies angels did not come around until the mid 70s, maybe like 1975 or 1976. brady bunch & partridge family were shows that came on friday night @ 7 and 7:30 if you lived in the central time zone, not after school. juke box songs were a nickel or a dime per song back then, as was a call from a public phone. phone calls did not go to a quarter until 1976.

o.k.thanks for the correction as i was in the 3rd grade back then so i'm going on memory as that was a ways back.

I do remember the Mod Squad and Mission Impossible and Hawaii Five-O as some of the earlist one's that i remember back then.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 PM

11,434 posts, read 16,579,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
o.k.thanks for the correction as i was in the 3rd grade back then so i'm going on memory as that was a ways back.

I do remember the Mod Squad and Mission Impossible and Hawaii Five-O as some of the earlist one's that i remember back then.
those were all good shows, much better than the "reality" cr*p that they serve up these days.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 AM

229 posts, read 795,486 times
I remember a little of 1971 and 1972.

Someone earlier said that VCRs weren't around then. Somewhat true somewhat not true. Back in 1971 only the super rich had them ( Elvis Presley, Carol Burnett, Hugh Hefner, Bob Crane...you get the idea ). The average Joe...well chances are they never heard that such a thing existed.

Top 40 music ( bubblegum and all ) were just beginning to find its way onto the FM though some cities has such stations as far back as the mid 60s.

Cigarettes and cigars were cool. A lot of people smoked then. Even at Supermarkets.
Macys and JC Penney in 1972, if a customer smoked while shopped they were offered an ashtray.

Montgomery Ward was the big department store chain at the time. But in 1972, the discount chains were starting to get noticed in a few places like K-Mart.

By 1972 just about everything was in color on TV though in some small towns there were exceptions. Local TV news were becoming more important then ( think Eyewitness News ), anchors with their filmed reports. Weather OTOH, well not taken so serious. IN Baltimore for example, weather was done by a woman with her set of puppets and I believe in Richmond, VA on one of their TV stations a woman was singing the weather while she played the banjo.

Cable TV was slowly getting into a few places. 1972 saw the birth of HBO but only a few hundred had access to it.

The roller coaster was "re-invented" in 1972 at Ohio's Kings Island. Of course they were around decades before but few coasters were built in the 50s and 60s. In 1972 after the racer opened at Kings Island, more and more were built.

Country music was still...country music. And even some of that like Lynn Anderson's Rose Garden ended up on top 40 stations. Today's country stars tries to be like their rock counterparts.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 AM

4,081 posts, read 7,731,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad delta View Post
Life was pretty great for me back in the early 70's......I don't know if it was just my youth or if things were actually much more safe back then! In 1972 I was a sophomore in High School. Being female, I didn't give it a second thought about going anywhere by myself or even picking up a hitchhiker...I did that quite often! Vietnam protests were going on, women burning their bras, and it seemed everybody had a cause to fight for! The best thing about the 70's was the best music in the history of time was right at your fingertips ( pushing in that 8 track tape )!!! Ahhh, those were the days....seemed like $1 would fill up my yellow vw bug and I could, and did, ride all over the state with my 8 track tape player as loud as I could get it! Funny; I complain about that now! It was a different world back then! FABULOUS......

Ted Bundy was on the loose! You were just a bit naive.

I also see some baby boomer propaganda by your false claim of music in the 70's being the best.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 AM

4,081 posts, read 7,731,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I actually was at Woodstock at the age of 11 with my older sis and 2 of her friends. From my point of view it is the most overhyped event in history! We went there on a Friday and were only supposed to stay until Saturday around noon and then head back to my aunt's place just outside Buffalo.
The traffic was bad that people just started to park anywhere behind and in front of everybody else and several cars were stuck in mud and were not going anywhere, Needless to say we did not get to leave until late Sunday and all I recall is almost no food, bathroom lines for portable bathrooms almost an hour long and no place to shower, clean up or change clothes. 3 long days of dirt and sweat and rain will make anybody miserable.
The crowd towards the stage was so big that you could not get close enough to see the performers (although they did have other little side shows) most of the time and the sound system was so bad you could not hear them either. Most people- us included- that had thought we could just "drive into town and get a cheap motel for the night" ended up sleeping on the ground of in cars because your car was blocked in and you could go nowhere.
There were lots of people that either did not bring enough food or any at all and the concessions were empty after the 1st day! Luckily they were able to helicopter in food and medical stuff.
I did not enjoy Woodstock at all. I actually enjoyed watching the movie more than being there. The movie was great. My only question was "why didn't it look and sound that good when I was there?" I was damn glad to get back to auntie Maries place, toss my clothes amd take a 2 hour long hot bath!

You are so right! More overrrated, overhyped, baby boomer propaganda! You were a smart 11 year old.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 AM

13,382 posts, read 41,068,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I did not enjoy Woodstock at all. I actually enjoyed watching the movie more than being there. The movie was great. My only question was "why didn't it look and sound that good when I was there?" !
heh
I went to school with a girl whose classmate was the kid with the blanket on the cover of the Woodstock album (which I still have on vinyl, and say what you will, Cannon, that is a damn fine album).
Anyway.
My friend said that the Woodstock blanket kid dragged that blanket all over school, getting as much hipster cred as possible.

Big outdoor concert events can be muddy, sweaty, and filthy.
If you are not into the communal aspect, a huge concert such as Woodstock can leave you really *hating* the human race, rather than the opposite.
But if the right bands are playing and people are being nice to each other, an outdoor concert is the best possible way to enjoy live music.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM

110 posts, read 267,772 times
Default loose cannon got that right

What a great & appropriate screen name you have! For someone who was barely on the planet during this time you certainly know a lot . Wish I was as smart and knowledgable as you. Regards, Lou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or