U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 PM

51,987 posts, read 30,047,860 times

Advertisements

I was 14 in 1971, and I remember in August, around the time Jim Morrison died, we were riding with my parents in my dad's 1962 Cadillac and a monsoon thunderstorm was coming into Phoenix shortly after sunset. My dad had the radio tuned to a station that was playing Doors music as sort of a tribute to Morrison, and I remember the song Riders On The Storm started playing just as lightning started appearing all around us and we started hearing thunder. This was in an area that was still desert at the time (North Scottsdale, Arizona) and the music fit it perfectly with was going on outside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM

4,081 posts, read 7,731,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I was 14 in 1971, and I remember in August, around the time Jim Morrison died, we were riding with my parents in my dad's 1962 Cadillac and a monsoon thunderstorm was coming into Phoenix shortly after sunset. My dad had the radio tuned to a station that was playing Doors music as sort of a tribute to Morrison, and I remember the song Riders On The Storm started playing just as lightning started appearing all around us and we started hearing thunder. This was in an area that was still desert at the time (North Scottsdale, Arizona) and the music fit it perfectly with was going on outside!
Awesome! It must have been divine! One thing though, Morrison died in July. Im pretty sure about that.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 PM

I'd also go to the Spahn Ranch and kick Charlie's but right in front of all his followers. There would be no murders. I would change history in this case. I would take over the ranch and have the hippy chicks follow me.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,171,504 times
Hi SunnyKayak. I have many memories from those two years, but I'll just share a couple. 1971 always sticks in my mind. I remember reading a very small article in the newspaper that George Harrison was going to be putting on a concert with Ringo Starr, at Madison Square Garden. It was a benefit, called The Concert for Bangladesh. I was so excited about this semi-reunion...we still considered them as Beatles, even if Paul and John weren't there...got to see them later...separately though. I waited for the tickets to go on sale and knew I'd have to take the train into NYC, from Long Island. There was an unbelievable amount of people waiting on line, which wrapped a few blocks around. I remember that being the first time someone handed me a joint...at which point, I politely refused...I swear! The concert was so wonderful, as I was such a music fan back then. Concert halls were always thick with the smell of pot.

I graduated high school on my 18th birthday, in 1972. I suppose the one thing that comes to mind for me is that I could go to a bar! Although, I got that out of my system fairly quickly. Concerts were my big thing and I felt so free to see as many as I could, since the Nassau Colosseum opened that year. The music scene of the 1970's was incredible. I've never seen or heard anything like it since.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I'd also go to the Spahn Ranch and kick Charlie's but right in front of all his followers. There would be no murders. I would change history in this case. I would take over the ranch and have the hippy chicks follow me.

The above post was meant to be in the time machine thread.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 AM

13,382 posts, read 41,068,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Awesome! It must have been divine! One thing though, Morrison died in July. Im pretty sure about that.
You are correct.
I was hanging out at the park when I heard the news.
It was sad, and I hoped he knew of the success of their last (and excellent) album, LA Woman, released that spring.
I also was glad that I had seen the Doors in concert the year before.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,655,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
o.k.thanks for the correction as i was in the 3rd grade back then so i'm going on memory as that was a ways back.

I do remember the Mod Squad and Mission Impossible and Hawaii Five-O as some of the earlist one's that i remember back then.
Ah, the original Mission Impossible series. Extraordinary writers they had. The Mission Impossible movies can't hold a candle to the original episodes from the 60s. Since writing is so bad these days, they have to concentrate on special effects and blowing everything up.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,469,816 times
What a blast from the past. This thread has been as much fun as going with my college-aged daughter to see Across the Universe for $1.50 at the cheap theater here.

I was in HS from 70-73, in college from 73-77. I don't think I have ever felt so tuned-in and alive as I did then. Don't know if it was the decade, or just being that young.

Odd to think I could have had a child your age, Sunny, but I always felt I just wasn't ready.

I was from coastal NC, and the race riots were scary. Oddly enough, kids on the HS campus with me got along great, but there were older young people who would come on campus grounds and stir-whatever-up. Scary to see fighting like that, broken bottles and brick-bats flying in the courtyard. Kids would flee campus, teachers locked their classroom doors, if they could, and those of us still there would watch from the windows, horrified. I have often wished I could go back and count the number of times my Mother came to get me at school, scared for my safety. I wasn't required to make-up those missed days/classes, but they sure made me make-up hour for hour the classes I missed when I was out with mono.

The National Guard surrounded the HS, with guns, loaded, as I understood at the time. A girl I taught with years later says her husband-to-be was one of those Guardsmen, and that the guns were, indeed, loaded. The city was under curfew and authorities were after a group of Black men calling themselves The Wilmington Ten.

I was horrified at the violence.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,050,959 times
Default Us 1972

http://home.pacbell.net/ptg701/cm.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 AM

13,382 posts, read 41,068,055 times
This photo is a few years after--but I remember buying that little blouse back in '72 when I was making money with my first real job. I wish I still had the blouse, just for the corny Boomer sentimental value.
It was pale powder blue, printed with little birds in nests, and tied above the waist.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Capresesalad/scan0001.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or