Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times

Advertisements

I remember chocolate brown carpet was really hot, along with the olives and harvest golds. Blech! Polyester dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Does anybody remember "IGA" stores?
Yes i do!
Independant Grocers of America.
In the 50's and 60's my parents owned a grocery store that was part of a small chain called UTOTEM [we pack em you tote em]. They were bought up by IGA

Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
And guess what, IGA still exists in many parts of the country.

Lookie here.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
I dont understand what Woodstock has to do with remembering 1971-1972. Woodstock was 1969. i was there and to be honest, quite stoned! But I'm still pretty sure it was 1969! Damn! I didnt lose 3 years somewhere did I?
August 1969 i was at Woodstock
September 1969 i was in boot camp
December 1969 i was in Nam

Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 AM

I guess I shouldn't go into what all we did at the drive in movies in the 60's and 70's!!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Ah, the good old days. What was happening depends on where you lived in this country. I grew up in southern california so we had all the great music and all the crazy things happening - then I married and moved to south arkansas and went back twenty years in time! Girls didn't wear jeans, nor patched and embroideried clothes, and they all wore bras. My MIL told me I needed to get regular glasses since my little frameless granny glasses were not worn in this area! Oh how times has changed with the internet sharing info world wide in an instant. You were born in a great time.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
IMO kids were much more appreciative back then when they got "material" things. We didn't always get what we wanted but when we did it was a very big deal. We usually had to wait til Christmas to get anything. We usually ate for breakfast things like Corn Flakes, Cheerios, Puffed Wheat, Puffed Rice or oatmeal. But every once in awhile when it came time to get groceries my mom would ask each of us kids which cereal we wanted. Then she would buy us each the cereal of our choice. Back then that was a huge deal.

If you were lucky and your folks bought those little multi packs of cereal, you got to them before anybody else and took the Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks out for yourself and left the rest for everybody else!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
And guess what, IGA still exists in many parts of the country.

Lookie here.
I never would have guessed. We had IGA, Safeway and Dillions.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh
Especially on the south lawn at East High in Denver. I never messed around like that during school time, but I know a lot of kids who did.

Funny how kids think, or don't think.
The pledge was said pretty mindlessly, kids were probably either half awake or worrying about a test or their undone homework. The words carried little meaning for the average kid back then.
We actually weren't even saying it in 71 and 72, I can't remember when we stopped but I know I never said it in high school.
I went to East High in Wichita KS. It is still there.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
1970-71, and 71-72, I would have been a sophomore and junior in HS. Brings back such mixed emotions.

Great time to be a teen in a lot of ways, but the years were full of turmoil, too. Watching older fellows, generally friends and cousins, get shipped-off to Viet Nam, many to either not return or not be who I remembered when they left.

Race riots. Leaving school out of fear of getting beat up with a baseball bat. The whole town under curfew, and seeing The Wilmington 10 on the national news.

But some good things, too. Buying Beatles' albums for roughly $5.00. Great music, real rock 'n roll. Jimi Hendrix. Janis Joplin. James Taylor on the campus of UNC. Jethro Tull in concert. Dancing the twist, the pony, the jerk, the bump. Badfinger. Santana. The Stones. Cheap, cheap gas (until the energy crunch). The psychedelic movement and the art of Peter Max. Tie-dyed shirts and fringed pocketbooks. Buffalo sandals. Two-piece swimsuits in mod patterns and with boy-legs. Jams.

It was also great feeling alive, contributing to anti-war protests, putting up small handmade posters around the HS campus, discussing politics at the supper table -- as much as I could without getting my Dad wound-up, threatening to knock the hell out of me. Voting for the first time at 18, drinking a beer, legally, and having a glass of wine at the dinner table at holiday time. Clean fun TV series like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Walter Cronkite, and Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, on the evening news. Barbara Walters, Tom Brokaw, Gloria Steinheim.

I gotta stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History