Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

My Mom told me a story one time. My Dad was a jazz musician and one night in the 1940's he came home with a pot plant and this great scheme to plant it on our little farm and make some money. When he went to bed she chopped it up and flushed it down the toilet ! She said he was really not happy but there was no way she was going to have that in her home.

For Mom that was a bold move because my Dad ruled the roost normally.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:08 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I'm 65 and I have never used them. I went thru the Vietnam years in the service, surrounded by people smoking pot and I wanted nothing to do with it. I never had any interest in experimenting with any of the other drugs either, that were going around in that time period. I've never been a follow the crowd type of person, and I imagine that was part of the reason I had no interest. That and these types basically turned me off, nothing in common with them.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
I grew up geographically near Max Yasgur's farm and remember when the Woodstock experience changed this nation.

I for one will say that it changed my life for the better as it caused me to see the dogmas that had enslaved my behavior patterns and forced me from my sleepy village to go out and roam this beautiful world.

I know that it is said in humor that reality is for people who can't handle drugs but there are some good drugs out there that have changed the world that we live in for better because perspective truely is the basis of wisdom.

Some have experienced spiritual enlightenment from their exposure to what some consider the "dark side".

Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Frank Zappa never did.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:57 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Okie from Muskogee and 16 Vestal Virgins head for the Coast on Route 66

Well I’m proud to be a hippie from Olema
Where we’re friendly to the squares and all the straights
We still take in strangers if they’re ragged
We can’t think of anyone to hate

We don’t watch commercials in Olema
We don’t buy the plastic crap they sell
We still wear our hair long like folks used to
And we bathe often, therefore we don’t smell

Well I’m proud to be a hippie from Olema
We still take in strangers if they’re ragged
We can’t think of anyone to hate

We don’t throw our beer cans on the highway
We don’t slide a man because he’s black
We don’t spill our oil out in the ocean
’Cause we love birds and fish too much for that

And I’m proud to be a hippie from Olema
We still take in strangers if they’re Haggard
In Olema, California, planet Earth

Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM

366 posts, read 494,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It seems the whole world was on a drug binge from the summer of love to the end of the disco era. Anyone here that lived back then that didn't do drugs or came from a family that didn't? What were your thoughts back then and how has it played into your life now?
My mom and dad never did illegal drugs. Mom smoked Newport Lights and dad drank beer occasionally.

I have never done illegal drugs, been drunk or high. I grew up in the 70's. I don't know if I can say one way or another if it's helped me, but I missed out on hangovers and I guess waking up next to someone I don't know, lol. No one really cares in the long run, I guess it's just a health sort of thing. At least I wasn't ever distracted by it or wasted money on it though of course I wasted money on other stuff instead.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
My father says he didn't, saw too many get messed up after using marijuana as a gateway drug. He did drink and smoke though. I believe my mother didn't also though she drinks.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I didn't use illegal drugs in the '60s.
While in Vietnam in 1966, I started smoking during a mortar attack.
As for illegal drugs, nobody in my unit over there used any. Drugs and aviation don't mix well.
After I came home, I smoked for 40 years then quit when the taxes became asinine.
Still never used illegal drugs, though.
After I got my A&P license, it would have been incredibly stupid to use any illegal drugs! Random drug testing was very common in the aviation industry.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Smoked pot a few times while drinking beer and playing poker. No regrets. Doesn't do anything for me. I don't like being high or even slightly buzzed.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Some people get into substances to get away from pain. So many people are living with an undiagnosed ailment or one that docs & poison pills can't help. Something near 100 million people in the US are in chronic pain. Some can't take it anymore & commit suicide. Wouldn't it be better to have something that takes away the pain, especially something that is very safe?

Cannabis ("marijuana") has been used by over 1 billion people since Genesis with no deaths proven as a direct result of use. Is that your definition of "Russian roulette"? I drink too much (88,000 deaths a year in US), but would drink less if I could get a proper strain of cannabis for my problems. Also, I take Himalaya Liver Care. I drink India Pale Ales for some physical effect from the hops. I may have M. S. (neurological disorder for sure). What I discovered is that a strain of cannabis that can make my body numb, makes my anxiety & depression go away. I want to get into the limited state medical cannabis program, but they won't tell anyone who the few hundred participating Docs are out of the 15,000.

Cannabis has been shown to help about 250 conditions so far. About 100 of these were known prior to the Civil War. What is new is that there are maybe 2,000+ strains now. They can design them differently for different conditions & different times of day & night. They can be compared on a website like leafly dot com/ which is sponsored by dozens of dispensaries. I can't take my mind off the way I feel for very long, mostly eliminates the chance of my enjoying anything.

My NOT having a good substance is debilitating, and tragic, as are the prescription drugs I must take for some sleep. Pills kill about 265,000 in US each year & people are told to take the pills 1-4 times daily as good, but if people use cannabis which unlike pills does not kill, then they think the person should be forced into treatment for threatening the profits of the pill companies & to help out those poor treatment center owners who are dependent on forced treatment by law or beliefs that cannabis kills or causes insanity, which has been proven wrong for over 150 years.

Cannabis is non-toxic certainly when grown organically as usual, most food is non-organic & kills over 500,000 a year in US, more than tobacco.

The body has endo-cannabinoid receptors that normally receive something like natural cannabinoids, & that is where cannabinoids bind (many, many locations). Best wishes.
I wasn't addressing or thinking about persons who must take or are compelled to take particular chemical substances for valid medicinal purposes (i.e., dealing with chronic pain or debilitation). I was only addressing the taking of whatever substances "willy nilly" for what seem best described as purely "recreational" purposes. I fully support the use of medical marijuana, for instance (i.e., if the scientific community has come to a consensus which says that this is definitely beneficial for certain persons with certain debilitating conditions) . . . just like morphine has been used as a medically-administered painkiller for certain persons (for instance, the late USA President Franklin Delano Roosevelt used to take morphine to deal with his chronic pain from the polio he suffered).

But people just putting drugs and/or alcohol into themselves "willy-nilly", with no sensible rhyme or reason, and just letting whatever happens happen with it . . . that is playing "Russian roulette" with one's well-being and sometimes even one's very life. If one is sensible and concerned about one's own life and well-being, drugs (pre-formulated chemical substances produced to address particular medical symptoms or conditions) should only be taken under directed medical supervision . . . not just taken into oneself at a whim (anytime one pleases and in any amount one pleases and with any frequency that one pleases and even taking it upon oneself to mix multiple types of drugs and substances together willy-nilly). One's body and brain is the support system for everything that we are and are capable of. If one jeopardizes this support system, one risks losing it all (your very life) . . . or, if one manages to remain living for howver long while being a regular- or even sometime-user of such substances, one may well debilitate oneself in ways that one wouldn't want if one was in full control of his or her good sense.

Last edited by UsAll; 08-12-2015 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History