Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times

Advertisements

I had a young female co-worker in the 1980s ask me if sex was really free in the 1960s. I didn't have a reply but I knew where she derived that goofy idea.

I was a teenager in the 1960s and I've never done any type of illegal drugs. My friends back then did not either. The first time I encountered marijuana was in the barracks of the Air Force (late 1960s-early 1970s) where it was occasionally smelled in the hallway. However, smoking marijuana in the military service then could still get you a "general discharge" so most stayed away from it.

Neither my wife of 45 years or my 40-year old daughter have ever done illegal drugs. Count it to our Christian beliefs or just good sense but we're happy with our decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:37 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Smoked pot once in college in the 70s. Hated it.
Turned down a charming offer at a college party to "snort some coke and get laid". What a gentleman that guy was. LOL
Took a Quaalude or two in the 80s. Did nothing for me.

i guess alcohol is my drug of choice. It certainly is cheaper.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It seems the whole world was on a drug binge from the summer of love to the end of the disco era. Anyone here that lived back then that didn't do drugs or came from a family that didn't? What were your thoughts back then and how has it played into your life now?
I didn't. My much-older siblings didn't. I grew up in the late '70s, they grew up in the mid-'60s.
My viewpoint when I was young: mind-altering substances are stupid and unnecessary.

Every suicide I've ever known- and there were plenty- was due to either illegal drugs or alcohol abuse.
Plus one friend died in a drug-related accident, another overdosed, and another is doing a life-sentence for killing somebody while under-the-influence.

How it played into my life now? Well, I've found individuals who wrecked their lives with substance abuse deeply resent those of us who didn't.
And another difference: when I was young, I never experienced 'peer pressure,' I've only been up against it since moving into an environment filled with addicts and alcoholics who want to bring everyone down to their level.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,494 times
DH & I are 69 this year. We both came from conservative families in conservative areas and went to conservative colleges.

Only the most radical students did drugs when we were in college. Then we graduated and though we knew people who smoked pot, it was ILLEGAL and we both felt we had too much to lose if we got caught. So it was just never part of our life. I smoked cigarettes for 30 years and we've both been known to have a cocktail or several, and maybe a bottle of wine with dinner. So, as I've thought about it over the years, it's entirely the LEGALITY that influenced our decision.

But here's the thing. . . Oddly enough, we're catching a plane in just about 12 hours to fly to Denver, where our main purpose is to see what we've been missing all these years! Stopping on the way to the hotel for edibles (because you can't smoke in most hotels). Then next day we're taking a tour that includes smoking in the vehicle plus visits to private clubs where you can smoke.

Next day, we're off to explore other parts of the West, and our wifty time will be over. But I'm getting pretty excited about it! I've read the Maureen O'Dowd article and we'll be super-cautious. But once, just once, I'd like to know what so many other people were talking about all those years.

Bring on the munchies!!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,645,825 times
I grew up in the '70s. Started stealing Valium and Darvon from my parents in small amounts at 15. Never bought pot in my life but smoked it occasionally. Never did like it because I felt out of control, stupid, and hungry. Wanted to do heroin (still do) but knew I would get addicted. Never did coke. Tried speed once or twice, but it made me crazy, too hyper, and the crash was absolute hell. Just did downers to take the edge off.

Used to get pills from a girl in boarding school whose father was a pharmacist. Quaaludes and all kinds of junk like Seconal, Dilaudid. Some days I don't even remember. Whole slices of days were just gone the next day. It was a mess of a time.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
no drugs, no alcohol, no pills, no pot, no smoking
i figured i needed all the brain cells i had without destroying any of them

i was a very quiet timid person also and just did not want to do anything remotely dangerous
(the fooling around in my boyfriend's car was fun though)

in university i caused quite a stir because in the co-ed dormitory at a fancy university there was a "house dues" monthly fee that went to paying for booze and parties. I simply did not pay it, reasoning that I did not go to the parties so I would not contribute. I got into all kinds of trouble. I was called into the assistant dean's office, and the head of residential housing. Apparently no one had ever declined to pay it. They tried every possible method of coercion, including shaming and ridicule and belittling and insults. I was basically shunned.

Anyway a decade or two later with student deaths from alcohol this university boasted of being progressive and on the cutting edge forefront of policy setting by "looking into limiting the overuse of liquor on campus. " I had to laugh, they sure changed their tune

Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,627 times
I came of age in the 1960's. I had a by-the-book cop for a father. If I even thought about imbibing in alcohol, smoking anything legal or illegal, or taking drugs, he would have beaten me within an inch of my life. Lesson learned.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:08 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,612,989 times
Wow, so many incredible stories. Thank you all for your perspectives. I have read them all and seriously intrigued. Keep 'em coming if you can.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
What about the 80's?

Everyone was on coke and crack in my hood

Old 08-10-2015, 06:07 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
I graduated from high school in 1969. Never even once took illegal drugs, smoked cigarettes, drank alcohol...even cussed. Nothing. Was a member of the high school track team and doing stuff like that was stupid. It would affect performance negatively. After high school was four years in the Navy. Nothing then either. Then came college, establishing a career and a family.

How did it turn out? Well, I have a six-figure income getting paid for what I don't consider a "job", own my own house overlooking the golf course, drive a fancy car, and when I retire next year, I'll be well situated for an enjoyable and comfortable retirement.

Parents were alcoholics, but it just didn't rub off on me. Never understood the desire to junk up my body with crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History