Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:27 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
After battles with some of the natives the Vikings turned around and went no further.
I always thought Vikings were very strong and didn't back down for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Marco Polo sailed from Southern China to Southern Iran between 1292 and 1294, crossing the Malacca Strait, even had to stay half year in Sumatra because of monsoon season.
There have been questions raised regarding Marco Polo with a group of historians and archeologist who have come to believe that he never made it to Asia and simply repeated stories that he had heard from various traders who did.

Wonders and Whoppers | People & Places | Smithsonian

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 PM

I find it really interesting that more than half of the world was unknown until JUST 600 years ago.

Almost unbelievable that we all thought that Africa was just Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania before the Early-1400's.

That we found the Americas so late i can understand but Sub-Saharan Africa come on now, was it that hard to just follow the coast

Old 08-17-2015, 11:21 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
There was probably a lot more going out to explore than there was coming back to report. Most of the interest was in going to places that they knew existed. Prester John's legendary kingdom was sort of a moving target that turned out to be Ethiopia. China/Cathay, India, Persia, the Silk Road kept people busy. The Portuguese were out there but for how long? If they found anything they just kept it to themselves. The Vikings were all over the place and the settlements in Greenland had occasional visitors from Europe. They were in North America briefly and might have had seasonal camps for taking wood or other resources back to Greenland. There is some evidence of a European presence on Baffin island earlier than the usual dates of the Greenland settlements so somebody was getting out there but maybe not getting back home.

The Carthaginians ventured out into the Atlantic. Himilco the Navigator (5th century BC) sailed along the western coast of Europe and got to northern France and maybe England. Hanno sailed from Carthage along the coast of Africa and probably out to the Canary Islands. They seemed to know about what we call the Sargasso Sea.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:07 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
I know that the phoenicians explored africa quite extensively and is possible that they circumnavigated the continent under the commision of pharaoh Necho II. So was any of this information passed down onto the europeans? Also there was a lot of trade (salt, gold, ivory, slaves etc.) going through the sahara desert, which is why timbuktu was so successful. So shouldn't the europeans been aware that there was fertile lands with prosperous civilizations beyond the sahara?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:46 AM

1375 (by Abraham and Jehuda Cresques from Majorca)

Old 08-18-2015, 06:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
There are world maps from that era that exists - the Catalan map, De Virga map, Asian maps, Bianco world map (below link from wiki)

Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM

266 posts, read 285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Would western Europeans have actually known about places like Malasia and SE Asia? Didn't they have only the vaguest ideas, bordering on rumor or fantasy, about most of Asia east o Levant?
The Romans had regular trade with the Chinese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daqin

Old 08-18-2015, 10:19 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
By doing some research i made this simplified map about how Western Europeans thought the World looked like before the 1400's.

Am i right or should the area be larger or smaller?

This is a map created in 1450, which was before they discovered America. From the drawing it seems like they knew about
- Europe
- Africa, but some details are quite wrong
- Asia with Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Japan. But the map is very inaccurate.

I would assume they knew about the same region pre-1400, but in less detail.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
By doing some research i made this simplified map about how Western Europeans thought the World looked like before the 1400's.

Am i right or should the area be larger or smaller?
Nice map! But I think you may want to include the Eastern US in your map. A Viking settlement on the Hudson river has just been discovered. And there were Vikings in Canada as well. And all of that happened before 1000 AD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History