U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:28 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,829,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Incidentally, this thread Who would win in a sword fight? seems to be a reason to question the use of "What If" threads.
I agree that it was a stupid question, but the discussion actually became interesting once posters cited historical information to support a position.

OTOH, this thread has not redeeming value: Let's play a game.....

Old 08-29-2015, 07:37 AM

36,945 posts, read 17,425,944 times
Quote:
Incidentally, this thread Who would win in a sword fight? seems to be a reason to question the use of "What If" threads.
I thought just the opposite. That turned out to be a fun thread and is a textbook example of why moderation should be kept to a minimum. I come here to amuse myself, whether it is a serious or a light hearted discussion. We start getting a bunch of rules designed to make sure that everything is serious only, we lose one of the reasons for coming here.

This isn't school. Forums are for posters, not for moderators.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:29 AM

32,520 posts, read 17,636,768 times
I'll go into the "what - if threads aren't history" category. Perhaps CD could set aside an Fantasy Forum for that kind of endless conjecture. Sure, some of the threads are amusing. But they certainly aren't history.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:12 AM

16,836 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I thought just the opposite. That turned out to be a fun thread and is a textbook example of why moderation should be kept to a minimum. I come here to amuse myself, whether it is a serious or a light hearted discussion. We start getting a bunch of rules designed to make sure that everything is serious only, we lose one of the reasons for coming here.

That bears repeating.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:48 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
Quote:
Here is one thread that might have questionable value...therefore all threads like it are bad...that's not very mensa-ey logic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
What-if threads are the stuff of fantasy. They are not history, and perhaps could find a spot is some other forum...at the very least they should have their own sub-forum within the history forum.
I would agree if...IF...the forum was being flooded with them and the vast majority were simply ridiculous, but that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree that it was a stupid question, but the discussion actually became interesting once posters cited historical information to support a position.

OTOH, this thread has not redeeming value: Let's play a game.....
I actually thought there was learning value there as well, after it moved past the fun (which is an important part of this or any other forum as GS has pointed out).

I don't see a problem with the "Let's play a game" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Old 09-07-2015, 02:16 PM

5,409 posts, read 9,556,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Generally the regulars do a pretty good job here of self-moderating, we have ways of chasing those posters out who stray from historical topics.
A couple of good recent examples:

Racisium

Why didn't they make makeshift lifeboats with all the wood on the Titanic

I, for one, enjoy the sarcastic responses enough to not mind the inanity of the thread topic.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:04 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,532,707 times
Just saw this and I am glad I could respond.

Personally, I love 'history' and to see it here where it can be discussed with others is fabulous.
And the fact that many here have such different interests is another compelling reason to 'tune in' and get a bit of more knowledge on a topics that one may not be expressly familiar with.

What I've noticed and hope continues is the fact of seeing in posts real good takes on a past event , how it came to be and its consequences for say 'future' history. In a way the 'connections' made provide some great perspective to understand not only that past world but the present one we live in right now and the future one up ahead. And so we learn and understand and the having the capacity to say 'put things together' and make some sense of where the world us and where it is going.

Now if that is perhaps a continued part of the nature of discussion here it will help in keeping good, open , honest and knowledgable discourse on history as well as its contribution to current events. There's an adage that we're all 'ignorant' but on different things. Nothing like say 'ignoramuses' to help each other out...;-)...

Old 09-11-2015, 12:27 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Today is what it is because of what happened in the past... they are directly related and cutting out today and how today's conditions relate to (and arose from) what happened in the past entirely defeats the purpose of exploring history.

I'm probably in the minority but I like "what if" explorations, specifically because they make us think about how the past is directly connected to the present. Yes some get just plain stupid, but we're in a random public internet forum not a University and you get what you pay for!

So if you ask me, things should stay as they are. If you don't want to see "what if" stuff, don't click on the thread. If you want a dry, boring and uninspired "traditional" history education that is purely about facts from the past, go sit in on a public High School class.

Maybe do a "what if"/ alternate history subforum to segregate it from "real history"?

my $.02

Old 10-25-2015, 01:17 PM

4,990 posts, read 4,452,319 times
Quote:
I would like to add a point to the posting parameters. City-Data has a language filter. Working your way around the filter is unacceptable to me. That means you can't c*ss, cu$$, or C.U.S.S. It just seems to me that following this allows up all to communicate without offending anyone.

1. I don't think the "What if" threads are History. They fall into the realm of fantasy or speculation. What do you think?

2. I think that Current Events and Politics have their own forums, so we should avoid those topics here. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

3. How old does an event have to be to qualify for discussion in the History forum?

Let's hold a civil discussion for a while. I'll make this thread a Sticky until we have some of this stuff talked out and then summarize some posting guidelines to put at the top of the forum.
1. Some of the what ifs might be students and people doing research looking for ideas for their project. This forum might not be the best place for that but I don't think its necessarily a waste of bandwidth.

2. Hard to detach past and present events since the present might be a direct result of the past.

3. Too subjective a question to get an objective answer out of.

Oh and please allow for some leeway when it comes to wordplay, some of them contain the funniest and most interesting posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or